Blood sugars will not go down with insulin ... help!

So sorry you are being aggravated by the same situation . I know how scary and frustrating it is ! I finally finally found out after about 5 weeks that it was a new bp medication my endo put me on was causing it. I had called endo when I was having trouble and he never said a word about the diazepam so I naively trusted him . My BS went down as soon as I went off medication. I have to admit that I will never trust my endo to really listen to me or adequately problem solve with me in the future. Good luck to you. I know you will figure it all out too !!

Irbesartan is suppose to help protect kidney function in type 2.

I took it for years for BP, BEFORE I was diagnosed with type 2, and when my BP was becoming more elevated, docs insisted I stay on the irbesartan and ADD another BP med because of the value the irbesartan had for my kidneys.

Maybe it acts differently for T1 vs T2. I just hope I am not taking something to protect my kidneys when it may actually be doing harm.

@Babs5 - I didn’t mean to imply irbesartan damaged my kidneys, that was 30+ years of T1D prior to starting any BP meds (Irbesartan, coincidentally, was that drug).

I was told to stop all my BP meds when my creatinine were exceedingly elevated. Within 2 or 3 days everything returned to normal (including insulin sensitivity)
Jim

1 Like

There is a business, Integrated Diabetes, in PA owned by a T1 named Gary Schiener. When I am having troubles like yours, that is who I call. I live in MO and have a very good Endo here but Integrated Diabetes is better. The company works with people all over the country. It’s the best help I have found in 50 years of Diabetes. Their number is (610) 642 6055.

4 Likes

Thanks @Kimball1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know the place. I been there. Met Gary and mentioned his book. He was very gracious. If in PA, Penn diabetes clinic is good as well

1 Like

I have/had the flu. Sugars went up to 300. Babied my self tea and sugar free Riccola cough drops( probably up my sugar some). Today I took a walk , watched King Kong for 30 min on a stationary bike and sugars dropped to 69. I will be seriously noting all food and events this month.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’m diabetic because my PCP had me take large doses of prednisone for about two years. Destroyed my pancreas’ beta cells. Prednisone is really good and bad stuff.

Rob5, I have had a kidney transplant and now take prednisone every day. Any idea how much 5mg raises BG. Looking for a range. I take p first thing in the morning and wondering how much my BG rises in the morning as I know Dawn phenom or feet on the floor can also raise BG.

Each person is different but for me, taking 5 mg pred will raise my BG about 40 points. Each mg above that raises it less & less. With 60 mg, I’m around BG 330. But my record high BG (from IV steroids) is ~380, so I don’t go real high ever.

Rob

1 Like

Thanks Rob. You confirmed that I thought 5mg would make me go up at least 35 points.

It can really vary per person. 5 mg has raised mine to over 300. But 2.5 mg will only raise it about 50 points. But I am really sensitive to it.

1 Like

My brother had difficulty with some high blood sugars he trouble lowering with insulin. His Endo nurse practitioner adjusted his correction factor so that he got more insulin. It was 1:50 and she changed it to 1:36. It made such a difference!

1 Like

That’s right. Most try to move up or down in increments of 5. I would have changed it to 1:35. Changing by 1 at a time is very precise. I doubt few people are able to achieve that level of precision. But congrats.

Not only cortisone, but ANY corticosteriod, will dramatically elevate BG. By 100s of mg/dL commonly, even in non-diabetics. More so for diabetics, of course.

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. I was on a Pump for 25 years and never considered MDI. When this occurred my endo said" Ditch the pump! You have lost the ability to absorb insulin through the pump." I have been on MDI 2 years and love it! The freedom is amazing when I take a correction bolus…it always comes down! I inject anywhere in the body. Lots of black and blue marks, but at 61 years old, I do not care. I have a new Tandem x2 sitting in the closet and do not forsee going back anytime soon.

Good luck!!!

1 Like

Smart move, Lisa! It’s always hard to give up a 25-year habit that mostly served you well. Remaining flexible and open to experimentation is a key attribute to managing blood glucose well. And good for your doctor for making the right call.

I think everyone on a pump should take a pump vacation every once in a while just to refresh their memory of how to use MDI.

2 Likes

Berberine

I have found that Trusteel inserted through small bandaid holds needle in place without pain.

1 Like

Oh wow! Do you actually put the bandaid on first?