Bouncing

It’s been one of those days when I’ve bounced from high to low to high and low again…I’m trying not to over-treat either the highs or the lows, but have not had much success leveling things out. It seems that once I go low enough, like 60, or, go low too quickly, I’m going to bounce too high, no matter how careful I think I’m being about not over treating the low…
Any suggestions? At this point, I’m tempted to just skip a few meals and stick with my basal insulin only until things smooth out.

It happens to me too! Every day! I did have a good day on Saturday - but that is once in a blue moon and I felt quite good!

I do not know what the answer is, if I did it would be good for me. Unfortunately that does seem to be the nature of the beast! But skipping meals is not the answer! I tend to do that sometimes, usually because of financial problems, but that does not make me feel good. I have a theory that my body stays high when it goes into starvation mode, not knowing when my next meal is coming! I think that my Saturday was better because I was at my mother’s and food was freely available. I did have one low - did not feel it coming as I do not have hypo awareness - just thought I ought to check and I was 1.9 mmols! I love this condition! The treatment can be quite pleasant!

If the bouncing has been going on for an extended period of time, or getting worse, it can be a symtom of taking too much insulin - i.e. your TDD (total daily dose) is too high (also possible you’re taking too little insulin, but that is usually easier to notice). Running BG too high increases insulin resistance, requiring more insulin to lower BG, which makes it easy to take too much. You have the right idea to fix this: start by figuring out if your basal is correct. Once you get that, test your carb/insulin ratio again to make sure you’ve got that right. (for directions consult with one of the Pumping/Using Insulin books or equivalent - if you don’t have one of these its well worth the money to buy one). We’re going through a seasonal change, so maybe you need to reset from the weather change (I usually need to adjust in the spring and fall - I tend to need more insulin in the winter and less in the summer).

I have found that sometimes my humalog is finished working in 4 hours and other times it is finished in 5 hours. I take small doses, always less than 5 units, so there doesn’t seem to be a reason for the inconsistency. This means that I would need to be patient for my insulin to work. Rather than waiting 90 min to see how much half of my insulin dropped me, I might have to wait 120 min. I wish I could answer your question “why?”. It is possible it is because my insulin is old, but I haven’t concluded that yet.

I wouldn’t totally skip any meals, at least not for too long. Try the low carb diet for a few days, maybe. One meal have a low carb meal like broccoli and chicken. Then supplement with somewhere between 10 and 15 carbs like some berries or a few crackers or carrots. Then you will be playing with smaller numbers. Maybe easier to balance out. If you starve yourself, your body might start doing funny things. = )