Broccoli Tater Tots (AKA Brots)

I call these Broccoli Tater Tots and you can make them like Tots, but they are more flexible.

Broccoli Tater Tots (AKA Brots)

3 cups riced broccoli (see note 1)
1 small yellow onion diced finely
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup Parmesan (optional)
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Preheat oven to 400 deg F. Mix all the ingredients completely. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Then with a melon baller or ice cream scoop drop the tots on the sheet (see note 2). I press the mixture firmly into the baller. Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on size of the tots (reduce to 20 minutes if broccoli is already cooked).

For 4 servings (usually makes about 15-20 Tots): 6.5g carbs, 2.3g fiber, 4.8g fat and 9.8g protein

Note 1: I use a food processor with the shredding blade to process the broccoli and onion. You can also use a box grater or simply steam the broccoli and chop it up real fine

Note 2: You can form these into “tots” shapes by hand, make a ball, the roll it into a log, then stamp the ends flat. I did this, but decided I am lazy. The baking sheet works fine but what I ended up doing was putting a pat of butter in the bottom of the cups of a min muffin tin and then mashing the mix in. Did I say I was lazy?

ps. For a real treat cook up some brats and serve “Brats and Brots” for dinner.

4 Likes

Sounds really tasty, Brian! Thanks!

I like the idea of the mini muffin tin and I think my husband would enjoy broccoli served this way. Thanks, @Brian_BSC! :fork_and_knife:

These sound really good, is there a carb count? (doubt it’s in double digits)

I actually bought a big bunch of broccoli this morning, and cheddar cheese WAS on my list, but I forgot to get it.

Thanks for the reminder, I added the nutrition info to the recipe.

1 Like

@Brian_BSC, you inspired me to make a delicious broccoli, bacon and cheese casserole for lunch. Thanks.

Sarah

These sound amazing right now…:weary: I’m at work though.

Talk about coincidences: I just came across a pic and recipe for these tots on Pinterest this AM. Might make 'em tonight.

Wonder if Napoleon Dynamite would approve?

Brian, sorry to be dense, but is that 6.5 carbs per serving, or for all the brots?

Yes, but you have to properly age them first in your pocket. :wink:

1 Like

I estimate it serves four. So a total of like 26 g carbs and 9.2 g fiber for the who shebang.

1 Like

Parmesan cheese is a magical substance. Also, eggplant parmesan breaded with parmesan cheese is better than traditionally breaded eggplant!

1 Like

Could not agree more. @MarieB once posted a faux-tortilla recipe using cheddar, which is doubly awesome with parmesan!

1 Like