Burned out of low carb

That must be so challenging. I find it hard to stick to a lower carb diet even without allergies. I can’t imagine trying to stick to it without nuts, cheese and hard-boiled eggs (staples in my diet). I haven’t read all the replies, but are you able to eat coconut products? Coconut Mana is DELICIOUS, and coconut milk is great for smoothies. I think you can even make a pudding or yogurt from the meat. Another staple for me is guacamole–so good with leftover cold chicken as an easy to go meal.

Best of luck to you!

I have no problem with people avoiding food that makes them not feel well. Just call it an intolerance or a sensitivity, not an allergy (unless you’ve been diagnosed with an allergy by a physician, of course). I seriously think the term allergy has become so over-used and diluted that many people don’t realize that it’s an actual medical condition with actual diagnostic criteria that’s diagnosed by an actual physician.

2 Likes

Yeah, the cheese and hardboiled eggs would make this far more convenient. Especially because I’m often out and about for two or sometimes all three meals. So cooking is fine, but big elaborate cooked meals for every meal is just not convenient for me. Especially when I’m travelling and eating out of a hotel room.

Fortunately I can eat all nuts, but I work in schools so there are times I have to avoid them.

I can eat coconut, though not avocado.

I think eggs were the final straw for me. I was doing very well (well, aside from the fact that I was sick every day from eating eggs) until I was advised to remove eggs. Now I’m doing significantly better in not being sick every day, but taking out eggs wiped out all the baking recipes I’d spent years searing for and modifying (and baking had become something of a hobby for me, even!). I tried a few times to bake new recipes but they were all flops, and after the fourth or fifth one I just got tired of wasting ingredients and time, so haven’t tried again for a couple months. Not to mention eggs were convenient to buy when travelling (and easy to boil with a travel kettle and thermos), one of the few safe foods I can order at breakfast at any restaurant (hard-boiled eggs), and convenient to grab as a snack or meal.

When I was vegan, I used unsweetened applesauce in place of an egg for a lot of recipes.

1 Like

We also used vinegar instead of egg in the 2WW. But I don’t remember the quantity of vinegar so am not very helpful.

What do you think of this recipe?

I have tried some of her recipes before and really liked them.

These look great! I’m going to try them. :slight_smile: Thanks!

There might be something to the AIP diet. A very small study at Scripps in San Diego was conducted on Inflammatory Bowel Patients (UC & Crohn’s). Not changing medical treatment, participants achieved over a 70% remission in just six weeks. That is pretty remarkable. Of course, more studies are needed.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319367859_Efficacy_of_the_Autoimmune_Protocol_Diet_for_Inflammatory_Bowel_Disease

I get it. I am in the same boat. I have celiac disease and other food intolerances which have never resolved after being gluten free after five years except for lactose. While I cheat occasionally on my LCHF diet, I can never cheat with gluten. It can be tiresome. But participating on forums helps so much! It gives me the inspiration to mover forward.

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to open the study to read it, but that does sound interesting. One question I would have is whether the effect was specific to the AIP diet or whether eating any diet consisting largely of veggies, healthy fat, and unprocessed meat and free of processed foods would have a similar outcome.

I just had an appointment with my GP yesterday becasue I’ve been having heart palpitations and just generally not feeling great. We checked my thyroid and my TSH came back at 6.8, although my free T4 is still in range. I don’t see my endo for another three months, so my GP advised that I lower my Tapazole dose a bit and we’ll re-check in a month.

I’m actually happy about this because I’m hoping it might explain a lot of my “blah” mood lately. Maybe I will have more energy and motivation to get back on track with LCHF (or, heck, even just baking or cooking anything!) if my thyroid levels come up a bit. (Though my TSH has been high twice before and come back down on its own when re-checked a month or two later with no changes in medication, but I’ll decrease medicaiton and hopefully it’ll have a positive impact.)

1 Like

@Cyclinglady, do you have any strategies in particular that help? I know you travel much the same way I do, preparing all your own food. I’m thinking that I need to start sitting down and meal planning each week and prepping as much as possible on the weekend. I currently do this pre-prep with dinners but not breakfasts or lunches, partly because when I’ve tried pre-making things like sandwiches they only last a few days.

@Jen The website had a link to convert to a pdf, so I converted it for you. I’m not sure if the converter put it into a readable format for you or not. I can try another option, so if this doesn’t work and you want to read it, let me know.

Efficacy_of_the_Autoimmune_Protocol_Diet_for_Infla.pdf (103.3 KB)

If you want me to find you some more recipes then let me know and I’ll start a thread.

BTW is it possible that you just have problems with dairy from cows? I know that a lot of people that can’t have cows milk can have goats milk and cheeses.

Yes, my sister is dairy intolerant but can have goats milk, cheese and yogurt. It does extend the options somewhat if you can eat these.

Nope, unfortunately mine is an allergy (to the proteins in dairy), which are very similar across all types of dairy (cow, goat, sheep, etc.). So I’ve been advised by my allergist to avoid goat/sheep dairy as well.

Wow! That high TSH would make anyone feel awful. I am sure that once you adjust your anti-thyroid medication, you will not only feel better, but you will able to handle your LCHF and allergy diets with ease.

BlockquoteMy endocrinologist says that if I did the radioactive iodine I’d be on thyroid replacement for life. But he says that’s easier to manage than hyperthyroidism and that the medications don’t have the same risks of severe side effects. I’m just nervous as if I go ahead with it, it would be for life nad I’d never be able to go back.

When my daughter was 12, she went from a straight A student to a miserable, argumentative C student. She was hyper, losing weight, and could not sleep. As you might guess, her thyroid was WAY off from normal. The doctor suggested the radioactive iodine, and we chose to have that procedure done. What the doctor failed to tell us, though, is that some patients experience depression as a result. While being on Synthroid for hypothyroidism is better than being on the medications for hyperthyroidism, please be aware of all of the side effects of the iodine treatment. My daughter – who is now 40 – said that she would still have the procedure done, but she will live with both a lifetime of medication for her thyroid and a lifetime of medication for depression. That said, she is a successful career woman with a wonderful job and a beautiful home. Please just know all aspects of any decision you make.

Bummer. Have you looked into vegan cheeses? If store bought ones have allergy issues then there are recipes for homemade ones.

Omg you are speaking my heart lol XD