By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes

That sounds delicious!

I would have used a syringe to correct if I this had happened during the day time when I’d be awake for hours. The problem was that I started second-guessing the effectiveness of my insulin delivery through my infusion set. This meant that with a BG of 400 and enough active insulin (according to the pump) to bring me down to 150 I could have chosen to take either the full amount needed to fix a 400 by MDI or only the extra supplement needed to go from 150 to 100. Both scenarios were scary to me.

If the pump was working fine and I took by MDI enough to go from 400 to 100 I’d be in deep trouble because of the active insulin. I would have tested at some point, seen that I was back to normal and gone to bed not knowing that I had a severe hypo coming on.
If the pump was malfunctioning and I didn’t take enough to cover it by MDI (so I was 400 with active insulin enough to take me to 150 and I’d MDI enough to reduce it by another 50) I’d still be in the same territory I was except I’d have to add my own calculations of active insulin into the mix for the next four hours.

I think that if this had continued on any longer and I hadn’t eventually just given up I would have used a syringe and made myself a large pot of coffee.

Both. I ate white rice and very saucy chicken. I know the rice is very high Carbs so I didn’t eat much of it. I think the real culprit here was the dumplings and the sauce on the chicken.

Ohhhh… I thought that was MY story! Last night a wonderful Valentines Chinese takeout dinner. Notwithstanding the fact that it was a huge splurge for me, it is a rare event. So I indulged, bolused accordingly (or so I thought), and tested every hour or so knowing that it could be evil… but not as evil as it turned out to be.

Before bed (4 hours later)? Perfect. Shining BG star for me.

Then at 7 am? A lot of rust hanging off the star from last night - reading 448 (you “win” with your 450 - maybe we could qualify for a new D-Olympic event) haha

Took me about 3 hours to get back to normal. Now I’m actually pushing the envelope. I had some leftovers for lunch… I’m testing to figure out at what point do my BG’s rise and work out some strategies… hmm… time to test again, I think.

That is very brave of you . . . having left overs the day after. As for the D-Olympic event, I’d rather lose if the gold was given to the highest number. The 450 I mentioned was a rounded number. I’d have to check and make sure of the actual highest I reached last night, but it could well be that you win after all :slight_smile:

Btw, I went to Arby’s for lunch and got a salad an a diet Pepsi. The lady taking my order it seems works for the evil minions of Diabetes Inc. When she handed me the drink I asked if it was a Diet to make sure. She checked, said “no I’m sorry,” took it back, emptied the cup and filled it with diet. I had to ask her to please use another cup, one that wasn’t tainted by regular Pepsi.

Oh yes, that would have been quite risky. I don’t know which is the greater frustration–not coming down enough or waiting to crash. Both suck. Been where you were last night & it’s hair ripping.

Very late at night I once took my bedtime Levemir. Panic set in as I thought I may have taken Apridra instead, which would have killed me. I didn’t want to wait to find out if my numbers started dangerously dropping, so I downed glucose until I thought I would vomit. I had to get over 350 to cover the Apridra dose. Well, I got close to 370 & BG never came down, so I had taken Levemir. By this time it was around 4 AM. Then to get BG down, which took hours. Yea, how stupid I felt. I was the walking wounded the next day from no sleep & the BG rollercoaster.

Chinese food spikes our bs because of the fat used in cooking. I’m T1 and also wear a pump so when I eat anything food high in fat I increase my pump basal rate for a few hours. Now I don’t know what people do who don’t pump or who are not on insulin.

Just as an update, the final numbers are in from my Chinese food experiment. Lunchtime I logged a 60 prior to eating/bolusing, 2.5 hours later it was 230 (added correction), and then I didn’t get to it until 2 hours after that with a whopping 453 - quite D-Olympic worthy, and surprised I didn’t get whiplash from that rollercoaster ride to the top. So I’ll be definitely using an extended bolus the next time, and I now know how long to extend it.

By dinner time it was still in the high side, and coming down steadily. It looks like I have enough insulin on board to have a good low in a while… gotta keep an eye on that. I think I’m going to pay for this little experiment.

Those sauces! Something as harmless-sounding as “chicken in garlic curry sauce” can be a wolf in sheep’s clothing, can’t it? It boggles my mind how something so “not-sweet” tasting (or sounding) can sometimes have a TON of sugar in it. And no two restaurants seem to have chefs with the same sugar use philosophy. Chinese food is so high-maintenance that sometimes I just order egg foo young & nothing else. Um, then I tell fortune cookie jokes while everyone else finishes their meal. It’s a riot! :wink:

Seriously, I hope you fared okay last night and feel all right today.

While that makes sense to me I find it curious that Chinese food would have more fat in it that a Wendy’s Classic Triple w/ large fries (carb count 112, fat ??). That’s one of my guilty pleasures from the fast food world and I never see a spike in the likes of last night . . . bizarre.

Tonight I’m a happy camper going to bed with 114 (just tested). Though I’d still like to quit :slight_smile:

Pavlos-

The only thing I eat at the Chinese restaurant down the street from me is the “Buddhist’s Delight” dish. It is only vegetables w a light sauce. Or the “Chicken with Cashew Nuts” dish. Though I do LOVE their little fried chips (but avoid the duck sauce). I will nibble the egg roll, but it’s not worth the fight afterward. Their egg drop soup doesn’t affect my BG hardly at all.

Glad you’re feeling better!

I had a similar issue yesterday. I was going low in the afternoon, was hitting the mid 40s, so decided to go get some coffee at Starbucks. Typical for me to have a java chip frappucino LITE and I know EXACTLY how it’s going to affect my BG. But, in my “low” stupor, I also grabbed a piece of pumpkin bread. IT WAS SO GOOD. But was VERY hard to judge how many carbs were in it. I injected enough for 60g, but ended up spiking almost STRAIGHT UP from 40s to 354. My Dexcom was vibrating out of my pocket! Took an hour to get it down (low fat count I’m guessing, but who knows?)

I’m resigning too. Loved ur letter.

I only eat Chinese food at the buffets.In that way I can make my own selections: eat a cup of wonton soup,pick plenty of a variety of green veggies, salads ,avoid the sauce covered entrees and any kind of rice, get the broiled salmon, crab legs, and then some fresh melon for dessert…If I do not get tempted by too many egg rolls and crab ragoon ( over one of each is too much for me), I am generally ok. I bolus a couple of more units than usual, and do a dual wave for 2 to 3 hours, checking my blood glucose frequently if I am not using the CGMS( which I do not wear much anymore , another story for another thread).

That is how I work Chinese…Only the buffets, NEVER takeout…

God Bless,
Brunetta

OMG! Have you ever checked the carb counts on Starbucks treats? They’re amazing. They must use extra cooking magic to get so many carbs into each item. A couple weeks ago my Mom made a marble loaf cake with lots of chocolate icing - 76 carbs per slice. A slice of lemon Starbucks pound cake - 95 carbs. How is that even possible?

Kung Hei Fat Choi!
Just had Chinese last Sunday…
Settling for anything steamed! No sauce nor condiments please…

I don’t know! I’m surprised I grabbed it. I know better than to eat that stuff. Gotta blame it on the Low.
Their drinks r ok if you get it Lite. I have figured out how to have a frappucino every single day without messing up my BG numbers. :slight_smile: It’s my “No matter what happens today” treat. Cuz we really need some sometimes!

Pavlos, I don’t know how much fat Wendy’s classic and fries has but you can look it up on calorie king and compare.

hahahaha. Pavlos, you bad boy!

Classic Triple from Wendys w cheese: 970 calories, 59g fat, 38g carbs, 70g protein
Large Fry from Wendys: 590 calories, 24g fat, 77g carbs, 6g protein

TOTAL: 1,560 calories, 83g fat, 115g carbs, 76g protein

hahahahaha. I’ve got my own guilty pleasures too. Living on the edge! But I say if you’ve figured out how to handle it BG and diet wise, then go for it! Yum. Making me hungry…

In all fairness, mine is:
1 cup Breyers chocolate chip ice cream: 320 calories, 16g fat, 34g carbs, 6g protein
with 2tbsp Jiff peanut butter melted on top: 190 calories, 16g fat, 7g carbs, 8g protein

TOTAL: 510 calories, 32g fat, 41g carbs, 14g protein
mmmmmmm…

As the parent of a minor child, I’m entitled to make life decisions on his behalf. So I’m sending that letter on Eric’s behalf.

It used to be more than a guilty pleasure 10 years ago. I used to eat that meal twice a day nearly everyday for months. That’s why I gained 40 pounds in the first 2 years I moved to this country :slight_smile: