Byetta Injection

Hi - I am new to using Byetta, 5mcg. My last A1C was 5.7 with no meds and my Endo put me on Byetta and Metformin. I wanted aggressive treatment.

I am 115 lbs (5'6"), T2 (Not LADA or 1.5 but genetic) and find it using the Byetta needles kinda painful. I usually inject around the belly area using the smallest needle which I think is 33 or 31 gauge. It hurts especially when I click the pen all the way. Is there a less painful way to inject? I inject at a 45 degree angle and have tried various parts of the belly and I can't seem to find an area to inject in the thigh or the arm (not to mention the underarm fatty part being rather awkward to inject).

This morning after several minutes of trying to inject myself and wasting three needles, I gave up! Is it suppose to hurt or are you suppose to feel a bit of pain? I don't want to be a crybaby. I don't find my Accu-check softclick painful at all though, I usually test 3-4 times a day and never feel much pain with that.

I find that “pinching an inch” on my side and injecting there eases some of the pain. Sometimes I hit a nerve or something and it hurts, but I’d say 8x out of 10 I feel no pain. I am curious about your Endo prescribing Byetta and Metformin with your great A1C that you say you achieve without any medications. I have been fluctuating between 6.1 and 6.5 with Byetta and Metformin and was 7.5 at diagnosis before meds.

I am fairly lean and find that I also need to pinch on my abdomen. I also found that while needles come in a variety of gauges that tell you how thick the needle is, they also come in different lengths. It turns out they make 5 and 6 mm length needle tips that are designed for no-pinch technique. I find that if I pinch with the shorter needles, I can reliably inject right into the proper body fat layer without feer that I hitting muscle. If you are bleeding or consistently bruising, then you are missing the bodyfat layer (subcutaneous).

And the other thing. I have never been able to figure out how to inject in my arms and legs. I can post a link with a technique for arm injection showing how to pinch up, but if you have low levels of bodyfat, it may just not be possible.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey, Kat! I’m a 1.5 and on Byetta. I’m really surprised that your Endo put you on Metformin AND Byetta with that low of an A1C. They had put me on Metformin for a minute, but it tore me up! I couldn’t handle it. I have a really good exercise regimen and I’m very aware of what I’m eating. I’m on Byetta 5, Actos, Starlix, and insulin. My last A1C was a 5.1. I’m 120 lbs at 5’3" and pretty much have to use my abdomen area. I work out a lot so I don’t really have any fatty parts of my arm or leg to inject in to and when I do inject in my thigh I end up with those Courtney Love bruises. I also use the abdomen area because it hurts more when I inject in my thigh. For me personally, I’ve found that if DON’T use the 45 degree angle and just go straight in that it doesn’t hurt as much. I use the purple (I forget what gauge) needles which are very small. Anything larger does cause me more pain. Sometimes it does hurt a little more than others, but overall I’ve gotten very used to it. Since I switch around on my abdomen, sometimes I do the pinch trick. If you went through 3 needles, you might want to make sure that you don’t have a defective box. That happened to me once. The liquid wouldn’t come out of the needle and it took me about 5 needles to figure that out (not to mention a lot of pain!) Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Thanks everyone, so I guess I am not alone when I say that it hurts or that I get bruised. I have the short BD purple needles, box of 100. I wish I could take this lizard saliva orally and not subcutaneously!

I use 6mm mini 1/4" x 31G, and I too inject in my belly most times the needle slips in and it is painless, but sometimes it burns or I get “pin” pricks. What I do is not pinch my skin, but try to spread the skin this way the needle slips in, I also always moisturize to keep the skin soft.

I hope this helps

well I have got a bit of a belly on me so perhaps it helps but nerves cannot cover every bit of skin. so there are spots which you feel nothing. (hands need dense nerves since we use them all the time, but your belly is a much coarser mesh.
loose enough for a fine needle to slip into the gaps)

my technique is to gently prod around a bit till i hit a numb bit then i let the needle sink pretty much under its own weight in at 90 degrees with it buried in my belly i inject to the click wait 10 and let the needle almost fall out. Trying not to put any side ways force on the needle that can sort of spring back and byetta can sting a bit if its near a nerve.

I usually manage to avoid any pain 95% of the time, you know the best thing about doing your own injections is if one spot hurts a bit then you can try another till you get a painless one , other people inject you they just stab and hope its not too bad for you …

make sure you change sides regularly i tend to use my left more than right but it can get a bit tender if you don’t change sites fairly regularly