C-Peptide and LADA

You’re right @Brian_BSC— but I think it’s fairly recent technology that’s even allowed them to detect such minuscule amounts— I think at some point they kinda have to identify an “effectively zero” even if the majority of patients may never reach absolute zero. That’s from the practical management perspective…

Though from the research / science perspective I think it’s pretty exciting to see that most never reach ‘absolute’ zero… That gives me more hope that it can possibly someday be reversed.

1 Like

My level was too low to be measured so doesn’t mean zero then?

I think some of the newer technology used at a handful of places and in some research (probably not what’s used at your ordinary hospital lab) is able to detect tiny tiny traces that in the past have just been called “zero” or “not detectable” or whatever…

1 Like

has anybody with lada done the test over the years and noticed a decrease in levels?

I’m not LADA. I have diabetes of unknown cause (T2). But my endo seems to want to track my pancreas over time with the c-peptide. My last fasting c-peptide was 0.7 ng/ml. Below normal and low enough to qualify for a pump.

I think they had to develop a special c-peptide test for this study. (I don’t know that for sure, but think I read it somewhere). According to this study, 0.17 was the cut-off for the c-peptide level that seemed to have an impact on diabetes control (lower A1c, less hypoglycemia, etc.). I’ve also read in a study about the DCCT that 0.2 was the cut-off they found for c-peptide that seemed to have a positive impact on control, but can’t find that study at the moment.

It’s kind of funny I’m participating in this discussion since I’ve never had mine measured, although I find it interesting.

Just got my new results…

but still in range. so how do I end up in dka?

The lase result was with a higher bg of 189…

Yes I’ve had it tested a couple of times and it does produce less over time, at least for me. I first noticed a difference in my basil bs levels increasing and was retested by my request and it was found that my c-pepid had a down turn in production. So I at least know why I had to increase my basil injections amount.