C-peptide test question

Think about how simple it was making diagnosis in 1920.

Juvenile onset, “You have no hope, restrict calories and you will die in a few months “

Adult onset, “ Lose weight ! It’s your own fault for eating too much”

I really wish that was a joke, but that’s pretty much the reality back in the day.

1 Like

It was that kinda “easy” back in 1970. I think back to my diagnosis and think about all these tests people go through to find out if they have diabetes and what type.
I didn’t know anything about me possibly making insulin until 2016 when I entered a stem cell study. They were only excepting people who produced no insulin. So that was my first c-peptide test & antibody tests.
But I had gotten through 46 years without knowing any of this stuff.
Sure, now the whole insurance thing makes this very complicated. What “code” you end up with will cause some major problems if not coded correctly.
But are correct, it was easier back in the day, but also so very, very hard. I will take the insurance nightmares now vs going back to 1970 treatment plans.

2 Likes

Totally me. I was well controlled for many years with diet, activity, and metformin. Then I was pregnant with my second child at 38 and everything stopped working. Finally I transferred to a better physicians group and they put me on insulin which immediately stopped the roller coaster and my A1Cs were back in the low 6’s. Post baby I went back on the metformin and usual diet + activity. Slowly the A1C crept up and the metformin dosing increased to the maximum. After a year with really crappy insurance that paid very little I got a job with amazing insurance and a referral to my current doctor who was life changing. She ordered all the blood tests, carefully reviewed my complicated medical history, family history, etc. My A1C was 11 (!!!). We agreed to go onto insulin immediately and within 3 months my A1C was in the 8s and in 6 months it was in the 7s. I still had some challenges though and she suggested that I’d be a good candidate for a pump and I said not right now but can I get a Dexcom so we can figure out the overnight/early morning issues and she helped me get it. After 3 months with it we decided the pump would give me the best control so I got a Tandem. It’s been 2.5 years and my A1Cs are consistently in the low 6s, sometimes even below 6.

1 Like