Calculating factors and ratios

what was recommended to me, especially when going on pump, to determine I:CR is to eat something like a Lean Cuisine, low in fat, proportional protein vs. carbs, low in fiber...about 30 grams of carbs. Check 1, 2, 3, and 4 hours after meal, do this for a few days in a row. I checked 1 hour AFTER I finish meal because I prebolus and it can take me up to an hour to eat. This will give you an idea of what and how your insulin is working, if you're dropping or rising too soon, how much and if you're dropping back down after your meal. Still can't believe someone put you on insulin without discussing I:CR, correction factors, basal - bolus, etc.. Good luck! :)

I think my experience is pretty typical, unfortunately; most of us learn what we know by trial and error and by talking with each other. I've learned so much from people on TuD. Now at 4 years on insulin, I'm comfortable with my own personal formulas: I:C, basal rates, ISF. And I tweak it as needed based on the records I keep.

I don't know that there is a purpose to checking 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours after a meal. You need to figure out when you spike occurs. For many of us it occurs somewhere between 1-2 hours. Two hours is very common so that's why many of us check at that time.

Simon, Simon. You have posted this before, implying that you have some magic secret as to how to adjust basals when all you have is a chart where you plug in your data. Give us a break. Also, stop spamming this board, it's against the TuD principals.

The CDEs, Endos and Dieticians use rules of thumb (500/1500/1700 rule etc) - they provide a good general starting point but they must be refined by you.

Hi Zoe, good to see you are watching in wait for me. I am telling people about something that can help. As you have not used it, how can you say this? You are also wrong. What I am describing DOES give suggestions for both basal and bolus doses. Please try it before you make rash judgements about what you think it is capable of doing.

I agree - fats and protein kick in around 2-3 hours later and can make things more difficult to analyse. Generally you get told to test 3 hours after eating - this is because for most people, the insulin action has largely (95%) finished by then.

We've been through this, Simon. It is SPAM. You have not posted anything at all to this board except advertisements for your charts. and it is misleading. You are implying it helps people determine doses when all it does is plug in doses people already know. No desire to do this, I have a pen and a notebook.

i think i was replying to the poster. the purpose of checking at 1, 2, 3, 4 hours is just what i stated, to see when one's rising, the peak and falling.

Yes, initially it is useful to find out when one's personal spike is.

I just want to throw this out there. I've been using managebgl for awhile and am very happy with it. I have a pump and use TAG for certain meals and also do a lot of playing around with my food and ratios for coverage and correction. So far, managebgl has actually been very helpful.

At this point I can say I'm very impressed with it overall and its ability to predict my lows in particular.

I'm not trying to encourage any kind of spam but am saying that managebgl is helpful to me. :)

I've looked at your program, Simon, and it has no substance to it but is merely a charting device. If you figure out your insulin and carbs for each meal, you have, in effect, determined your ratios. I have no desire to "set up an account",to do this, Simon, and have reported you for SPAM. People who sign onto this board simply to push their business are not complying with the terms of service we all value.

Zoe, I think it's great that you monitor this forum, and help people out - and I hope you continue. But in this instance you don't know what you are talking about. I would prefer to take this discussion offline so that I can help you understand what it actually does.

Zoe, you really should re-read my posts. I have often posted about my child's diabetes and my own, with no other reference. You are quite wrong. When appropriate, I suggest, and try to help with something that is both free and that gives value.

Yeah the thing I’ve got after hospital is 12 NPH at night 8-8-8 Novorapid. Everything else i’m trying to figure out myself with help here and reading books and diabetes daily.
Happy for those who have great help at endos. Not me :slight_smile: they said it is impossible to igure out because I am probably honeymooning

Sounds like you have more quality time with your team than I do, LOL. Mine gave me copies from the pump manufacturer on calculating factors. 500 rule. And I am on MDI. Thanx to ou all who are trying to help. This is really LEAN disease :). Small Imprvements everyday.

Never heard about 3 hours. Everywhere it says 2.

Can you give an example of such a meal, plz. I eat low carb right now, so 30 carbs a meal will send me hiiiiigh :slight_smile: you tend to be more carb sensitive on low carb

bernstein recommends another time of insulin for his regimen, Regular. I’ve checked with my nurse and she said that R is used only at hospitals in Sweden, if person is sick. Donno why she said that. If. i don’t figure out extended bolus on MDI with novorapid I will discuss it with endo after summer, but all endos at that hospital are ani-lowcarb :frowning: