Caleb's 1st Complete Pod Change - Part One

This is Caleb...

Caleb has often helped change his Pod, but he has never done a complete change from beginning to end. There’s a level of dexterity necessarily to fill the syringe that fills the Pod. Considering the size of the needle used to do this, I have always interceded at this step. (I once stabbed the tip of my finger with that needle – it left an entry and exit wound and a half inch bruise from one point to the other. That thing is serious.)

But Caleb is seven now, and is showing more independence and responsibility in many aspects of life. Why not diabetes too?

When asked if he wanted to do the whole change, his face lit up, “really?

With some expired supplies, our extra PDM, and his good friend Rufus,Caleb practiced. He did beautifully. I’ve always thought the hardest part of a Pod change is getting the bubbles out of the syringe. He listened to my instruction and did it with relative ease. Much better than my first time, that’s for sure.

Since then, the favorite thing to do in the house is to care for Rufus with bolus’, injections, bg checks and lots of love.

Here’s the video I put together of this monumental occasion. Stay tuned for Part Two.

This is cute…it made me smile. That’s great that he is doing that all by himself. You should be proud!

Way to go, Caleb (& Rufus, too)! He’s a great kid.

I still smile when I think of Caleb in the bathroom saying how he has to brush his teeth after correcting a low & that brushing reminds him of being low.