Calling all Mac users

I’m calling on all Mac users who have had issues uploading their Animas insulin pump blood glucose information with the ezmanager Max software.

When I chose Animas over Medtronic three months ago it was largely because they advertised their software as being Mac compatible and yet, that doesn’t seem to be the case at all. Both Macs in my household have the Leopard system, which Animas tech support has told me is compatible with the ezmanager Max software (but not Snow Leopard, so right there they’re falsely advertising themselves as being Mac compatible; if you’re not fully compatible, you’re not compatible). On both computers, the software won’t even download. When I call the tech support, which I’ve done multiple times now, they’re automatic default solution is to send out new software – I’m on my fourth disk and all of them have the exact same problem. I try to tell them it’s not the disk, they can send me 100 disks, but if it’s not going to work, what is the point? But they just keep repeating “We’ll send you a new disk. We’ll send you a new disk. We’ll send you a new disk …” It’s like that’s the only solution they’ve got for you, and obviously it’s not working. The tech guy today even had the nerve to ask me if I had access to a PC? Are you kidding me? You’re telling me that you’re Mac compatible and that the software should work on my computer, but then you’re turning around and telling me to go and get a PC? That’s your solution? Doesn’t really sound Mac compatible to me!

I know I’m not the only one who’s had issues with the ezmanager Max software given several of the forum discussions I’ve read on this site. Animas is still advertising its software as being Mac compatible, which at the moment is essentially a lie. I truly believe the only way it’s going to get fixed, and actually be 100 per cent Mac compatible, is if everyone starts bombarding them with phone calls and emails. The Animas phone number is 1-866-406-4844. The Animas email is animas@lfsca.jnj.com. I am also considering going to CTV, which does consumer reports and investigations on stuff like this – this product is close to $7,000, it shouldn’t be falsely misrepresented like it has been. I plead with you all to get involved.

Here are the emails I’ve sent to Animas so far:

Sent: April 9, 2010 8:02:51 PM
To: animas@lfsca.jnj.com

To whomever it may concern,

I am writing to you once again because I am still greatly unsatisfied with the Animas service I have received in regards to the ezManager MAX software (my last email is below). I have now been sent three disks, and have another one on the way, because every time I call the Animas tech support to notify them that the software is not working on my computer, their default solution is to send out a new disk. But you can send out 100 disks, and if nothing in the software has been fixed, then I’m going to keep having the same problems, and you really haven’t addressed the problem at all. I have all the necessary operating system requirements, and I’ve been told by your tech support that the software is compatible with the Leopard system, which I have (but not Snow Leopard, which right there is false advertising on your part; if you’re not fully Mac compatible, you’re not Mac compatible at all) so why isn’t it working on either of the Mac computers in my household? Nobody on your end can tell me that, the only thing they seem to be able to say is “We’ll send you a new disk? We’ll send you a new disk? We’ll send you a new disk? …” The tech support guy that I spoke to today actually had the nerve to ask me if I had access to a PC? Are you kidding me? You’re telling me that you’re Mac compatible, and that your software should work on my computer, but then you’re turning around and telling me to go and get a PC? That’s your solution? Doesn’t really sound Mac compatible to me!

Animas sold me on being Mac compatible. I could have chosen the Medtronic pump, but I didn’t because I was informed by the Animas rep and the Animas website that the Animas software was Mac compatible. Right now, I am of the belief that I have been duped by your company. That needs to be fixed – and sending me out a new disk that does not work is NOT going to fix it.

Please address this immediately.

Sincerely,

Sent: March 31, 2010 10:25:15 PM
To: animas@lfsca.jnj.com

To whomever it may concern,

When I became an Animas insulin pumper in January, a major factor in me choosing Animas over Medtronic was the fact that I was told that the Animas software (ezManager MAX) for downloading blood glucose readings and other such pump-related information was Mac compatible. Not only was I verbally told this by the sales rep, the Animas website states it on the FAQs page:

Is there software for use with my new OneTouch Ping?

Answer: Yes. We will be shipping your OneTouch Ping system with ezManager® Max software. The software is compatible with the OneTouch Ping system, as well as both Mac and PC computers, including the Microsoft® Vista® operating system. The OneTouch Ping meter-remote will be compatible for downloading into OneTouch® Diabetes Management Software (available at www.OneTouch.ca).

As well as the general page:

ezManager Max software is compatible with:

• IBM-compatible PC running Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Microsoft® Windows® XP, or Microsoft® Windows® Vista®
  • Apple® computer running Mac OS®10.5

And yet, that doesn’t seem to be the case. After being sent two different software discs, and having the same problems with the program not downloading onto my computer, despite my computer having all the necessary requirements, a tech support person called me and told me that it seemed to be a problem on their end, not mine. I was led to believe that this was the first time they had encountered such a problem, and that they would be working on obtaining a workaround, and that I would be notified as soon as one was figured out – that was a month and a half ago. You may not feel that that’s a very long time to wait, but when I was sold on your product by the very nature that it was Mac compatible, I’ve already waited far too long. I should never have had to wait. And further, after perusing several diabetic forums regarding the ezManager MAX software and Mac computers, it seems I’m not the first person to be dealing with this issue. In fact, according to the following posting, Animas has known about this since at least October, 2009 – a month before I even contacted Animas regarding the insulin pump:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/animasusers/forum/topics/animas-ezmanager-software-for

I’ve been on the pump now for three months and have had no way of downloading my blood glucose readings and seeing graphs and other such valuable information. As it stands, your product was falsely advertised to not only me, but several others, which is a flagrant business strategy, that I hope you rectify immediately.

Sincerely,

I understand your frustration. I’m not currently an Animas user so can’t comment specifically to your problems (thinking of switching though) but am on Medtronic’s.

I do use a MAC and have a lot of trouble downloading my pump to Carelink. Carelink is not compatible with 64 bit Vista, or Windows seven or MAC’s. Most computers today are 64 bit not 32. It only works in IE also which I hate especially for a web based program. Medtronic users have been asking for multiple browser compatibility for years now and it hasn’t happened. It also uses ancient Java. I haven’t been able to update my Windows for VM Ware fusion for years now and it’s causing problems. I pretty much have given up downloading my pump from home.

Meters and their download programs have always been behind the times also in terms of computer abilities.

I think it’s the nature of the beast for medical software. I’m not sure why it takes so long to upgrade to more current systems unless it’s the FDA as each revision would have to be approved.

You’re not alone and if it’s any consolation you may not have fared any better with the software from the other pumps.

Diana

Thanks Diana. Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I was doing my research on pumps and saw that Animas was supposedly Mac-compatible, given the history with diabetes products consistently being below the grade on technology. It’s pretty frustrating, and I’m not holding out much hope that it will get better, but I do still believe that anyone who’s in a similar situation as me with Animas should put them to the fire.

Totally agree,

People need to complain when there are problems. It’s slow enough as it is without letting them know what we want. I’m sorry that customer support is kind of dropping the ball though it seems like continually sending disks isn’t helping much.

From what I’ve read though I don’t think this problem is universal among MAC users. I’m pretty sure I’ve read that some have had problems like you’re describing and some have not. Don’t remember where though.

Diana