Can "borderline" Type 2 be reversed by exercise and weight loss?

I have PCOS and have struggled with weight loss for years. I recently had a high fasting glucose reading (126) during my annual physical, with elevated insulin and an A1c of 5.7. I have had insulin resistance for about 6 years and have been taking metformin. Now my endo added Byetta, and I am seeing a nutritionist and have gone back to an exercise program (it’s really easy for me to get discouraged and give up). The nutritionist echoed what a personal trainer told me–that because of the PCOS, I have to work twice as hard as normal people to lose weight. How much does that suck?

But now I’m really worried … does one reading of 126 mean I have irreversible, full-fledged diabetes and I’ve already caused permanent organ damage, as one web site I looked at seemed to suggest, or is there still any hope to bring my body back to normal with regular exercise and balancing of meals? Has anyone had success with this?

Sophie, your comment was very interesting. It also confused me. The high fasting glucose reading of 126 is a little high, since the normal is 110 or less. But your A1c of 5.7 is supposed to be very good. My last one topped at 7. That to me is a red flag to look again at what I had been doing with my diet. I am taking no orals right now. (I’m type 2). I walk for a mile-plus most days of the week and fairly active around my homesite. The biggest thing I have forbidden in my own personal diet is cakes, cookies, pies, candy and soft drinks. But I slipped up on the soft drinks and that might have caused my elevation to a 7. Off I went with the softdrinks and now, I will wait to see if the A1c will fall back into line. One reading will not cause irreversible damages…it is what the A1c will indicate along with how you are doing with the weight. I was on metformin too, for awhile but have successfully been weaned off of it. Incidentally,…I also have a heart pacemaker and successfully was able to get off of Plavix also. Currently, I am on no drugs and feel fine. Keep with it, and you will find your particular niche of fighting this thing.

Thanks for your comments, Barbie. Oddly enough, most of my after-meal readings aren’t too bad. I sometimes find I’m higher first thing in the morning. I did read something about the ‘dawn effect,’ so maybe it’s that.

I’m glad to know that you have been able to wean yourself off drugs and have continued good health. I don’t drink soda – even the “diet” kinds, since they are even worse for you than regular sugar sodas, with aspartame and other questionable additives. But you could try some plain seltzer with a little bit of all natural fruit juice (no high fructose corn syrup, of course). That might be a refreshing substitute. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the encouragement. I joined Curves and am trying to get there as often as I can, and doing free weights and walking at home when I can’t. Congrats on your weight loss, keep up the good work.

I take an all-natural supplement called Insul Opt. It supports pancreas function and immune function, so can also be used as a preventative measure. As a type-1 diabetic, it has helped stabilize my sugar spikes and also has helped heal my wounds, including old injection sites. It was formulated not only to help diabetics, but to help people who are at risk of developing diabetes stay healthy and fight the onset.