Can I sue the pharmacist who profiled me as an addict when I needed insulin syringes?

Yes.

This sucks I want to go out and drink like everyone else is doing tonight instead of being on this ■■■■■■■ computer but now I have this ■■■■■■■ diabetes and when I have more then three I get nasty hypos.

I think it’s sad when you are diabetic and you have to have access to a variety of supplies, that one person can decide you can’t get it?? We really shouldn’t have to be beholden to anyone.

Given that, there are things that will always be upsetting in life that just aren’t fair. I think the best way to handle it is to write a letter to Walgreens, to the CEO etc, tell them this could have caused serious issues and they need to rethink their policy and you felt very demeaned.

A few letters, you can even write a letter to your representative saying why should I have to go through this? Always be polite, telling the facts truthfully of what happened. Hopefully you won’t feel as frustrated and can let it go and feel that you did something the best you could.

I used to get my supplies at my local pharmacy, but I got so sick of dealing with stuff like this. I switched all my supplies over to mail order. Everything—insulin pens/vials, pen needles, syringes, test strips—all come from the same place. Everything is on record at one location. I get an annual refill from my doctor for the three month prescription. It all comes in the mail. I’m in a rural area so I don’t get mail delivery at my house. I have to go to the PO to get it. I’m there three times a week as a rule so I pick up my medical packages when I collect my regular mail.

I won’t go so far as to say that this system is totally without flaw, but it has worked pretty well for the most part for about ten years. Now I only have to go to my local pharmacy if I need a prescription that’s going to be a one-time deal. I can put up with them for that much. I do automatic refill so it keeps coming every three months. And, very important, I have the doctor pad the prescriptions just a little bit so there’s always more than I actually need. That has allowed me to build up about a three month supply in my fridge. Such a comforting sight every time I open its door.

I just got so sick of dealing with the local
Pharmacy.

I also don’t understand why that fellow in the video would have prescriptions filed at multiple pharmacies all over town. There is an advantage to having everything on file at one location. They get to know you and they have a record of what you use right at their finger tips.

3 Likes

a prescription is not required to purchase insulin in Canada and they don’t have anarchy.

Baltimore and Chicago … we didn’t learn the lesson from alcohol prohibition the first time Chicago was over run with gang violence now the gangs fight over the drug market.

Why don’t countries that don’t require prescriptions for pain medication have “opiate epidemics” ? Oh wait they don’t force pain patients off their meds leaving them in pain and withdrawals forcing them to buy from the gangs and cartels.

Almost 50 years of drug war and what did we get ???

Feelings of hopelessness and despair are overwhelming many in the U.S. So much so, that people are turning to alcohol, drugs, and suicide to numb the pain of their lives. Government enslavement and the stranglehold on the economy are making life even more difficult on those already struggling to get by. And this is seen in new death numbers released.

The national rate for deaths from alcohol, drugs, and suicide rose from 43.9 to 46.6 deaths per 100,000 people in 2017, a 6 percent increase, the Trust for America’s Health and the Well Being Trust reported Tuesday. That was a slower increase than in the previous two years, but it was greater than the 4 percent average annual increase since 1999, reported USA Today.

Perhaps most disturbing, is that the deaths from suicides rose from 13.9 to 14.5 per 100,000, which amounted to a 4 percent increase. That was double the average annual pace over the previous decade. Psychologist Benjamin Miller, chief strategy officer of the Well Being Trust, says broader efforts are needed to address the underlying causes of alcohol and drug use and suicide. “It’s almost a joke how simple we’re trying to make these issues,” he says. “ We’re not changing direction and it’s getting worse .”

That’s because people have no control over their lives anymore. The government controls every aspect of everyone’s lives and social media helps to compound the issue by often making people feel like they don’t have enough or can’t “keep up with the Joneses.” Human beings need to and deserve to be free; it’s a basic human right. Once that right and free will are taken away, there’s not much left for anyone to live for. Unfortunately, this isn’t going to be a popular vein of thought, but it needs to be said. And problems caused by government control cannot be fixed by more government control.

The truth is that big government is not going to save us. People don’t need more government bureaucrats telling them how to run their lives. Instead, what people really need is to find meaning and purpose in life, and that is not something that big government is going to provide.

Price varies a lot.

Walmart had the cheapest syringes at one time

I am confused. But I’m sure that someone will explain it all to me…

I thought syringes for insulin were the very short variety so that insulin goes into the fat layer right under the skin.

Syringes for intravenous use, the kind that drug users need, have much longer needles.

The syringes are different. No?

They can make it work.

I think they want drug users using dirty needles as they make alot of money on HIV and Hep C drugs.

Hehehe, @IgotT1. Is that really you recording the video? Thats great! I love it. I wish we had more videos like this. What a pain in the ■■■. They change the rules on you. They say that they will sell if they you have valid insulin Rx, then they refuse to do it. Next time, tell them that the pens malfunction and you need syringes to get the insulin out of the pen. If your in Indiana, then I think you could sue.

What makes this super tricky is that you aren’t allowed to show a paper prescription anymore. I thought that I would just keep a copy on file for when this happened to me, but it is not allowed, so there is very little that you can do.

The other thing that makes Indiana strange is that Indiana is the one state where Walmart doesn’t sell over the counter (no prescription needed) R and NPH. @Fred_E

Syringes are easy to get here. I can always mail you some. If you are in Indiana, I would interpret this map as a state that is supposed to sell.
Perhaps a bunch of us diabetics should make an appearance down there at that pharmacy.

Have you tried another pharmacy? Any luck there? Sometimes I need to go to more than one to seal a deal.

1 Like

@Willow4 - Nah, syringes are syringes. Kinda depends how fat/large you are. Some people need the long ones.

@mohe0001 . This was an interesting chart. I recently moved from Calif and didn’t know they had changed their laws (2015). I guess though the counties didn’t have to adopt the new rule so maybe I was in a county that didn’t. They sure didn’t let it be easily known, and I don’t know if I ever would have known given that I had always gotten my syringes by prescription. In Nevada when we visited it was easy to know as they had them on a drugstores shelf. This would be one thing Calif got right, one of only a very few things lol…

PS. We moved to Hawaii and I have a dog that is diabetic too and we got a prescription from her vet for syringes only to be told by the pharmacy did we know we didn’t need one? (After the third time we had gotten them! But at least they did tell us.)

In NJ you can buy 10 syringes without a script. How do I know? I wanted to buy a box of pen needles (100 ct) without a script as it had run out and could not because the law doesn’t differentiate between types of needles. Now I buy them from Amazon for 1/3 the cost.

I dont think I understand how to read the chart. Like, I thought that (because they are the same color) MN and IN would be similar, but I guess state laws always vary wildly on everything. For instance, his pharmacists says in the video, that its up to her own discretion if she wants to sell. But, where I live, any pharmacist would just hand you a few, no charge, if you need them. (It wasn’t always like that. I used to have these problems.) I was told that they are allowed to give away syringes to anyone for any reason (so people dont use dirt needles). Drug use actually increased my acceess to needles. I’m surprised others still have all these problems.

I use syringes so slowly that a box of 100 lasts me several years. So only buy the amount where you get the best price. I have bought a few, maybe no more than 8 of the 10 packs of syringes plus only 3 boxes of 100 since 1986 and I am still using that 3rd box and it will still last me at least another few years. So if I have managed that then I see no problem with them being unusable within a three year period for you. But obviously you have learned not to get them when you are close to run out. I think your ideas of getting them online makes a lot of sense.

I was once told around 2006 that I was addicted to insulin by an acquaintance and stopped the association for another reason. I just felt he had a strange personality. We are all technically therefore addicted to air and water too and naturally we have to eat.

I take the position the others do that it is best for you to drop the issue.

I am in Canada and use the same pharmacy repeatedly but only get the blood strips once a year so they do not know me that well as I also buy my insulin without a prescription to save money and only need to buy it about four times a year so I do not know what they have on my record as apart from that I have only bought an antibiotic about twice in the past 20 years. I mostly deal with stores that sell supplements and I buy online.

1 Like

I hate Walgreens and CVS. I have had problems with both getting my insulin WITH a prescription… CVS kept telling me I had none available on my Rx, and eventually the manager came over, and said I could get 3 bottles.

Can you sue? Yes! Will you win - maybe… it could take years, lots of money, and even more aggrevation. You would need proof they profiled you as a drug user.

If you are lucky enough to have an independent pharmacy (yes, there are a few out there)… get all your Rx through them. They will get to know you, and they would probably help you out in an emergency. I had a pharmacist in CA where they sent one of their workers to a store to get a medicine they were temporarily out of stock. I seldom had to wait in long lines, and they even had a mini post office in the corner of the store. Since I moved from there, I have missed the service of a business that respects the customer.

I wish the chains would go away… I am tired of waiting on line, and waiting hours for them to fill a prescription.

[I also hate CVS because every time you get in line to wait you here there are xx pharmacy calls. The largest I have heard is 12. It takes forever if you need to call them. A real business wouldn’t treat the customers like they do!]

2 Likes

Don’t waste your time on suing idiots. It’s like pig wrestling; both get covered in crap, and the pig loves it.
You should’ve seen the faces on the Chinese customs officials, in a non-touristy type place, when they opened my luggage and there, on top, was a box of 100 syringes! Now, you’re talking excitement. Idiot thought he was going to get a big promotion.

1 Like

Been there, done that - Probably same place. Biggest problem is they confiscated the box to save face. That is where I learned early on that if you treat those bd fine needles kindly you can get up to about 50 shots per needle. Only carry a few needles on trips to China.

1 Like

Many years ago I went to Canada to go hiking in the national parks and my mom gave me a first aid kit and I just put it in my bag without looking inside.

When we landed the customs part I was taken to a room made to wait and they came in and started asking me questions including about the spike. I had no clue what he was talking about at all and what like what my tent spikes ? What about them ? They left and I did some more waiting and then was told I could go.

About 2 years later I got a nice cut and needed band-aids and ointment ect and went into that first aid kit and saw it had a syringe and what ever that stuff is for the reaction to bee stings and snake bites. OH, that’s was why they were asking me about the ‘spike’ that’s slang for a needle for heroin !!!

My next trip to Canada I did bring drugs , LOL, magic mushrooms, I took just the stems from the bag of mushrooms and scattered them on the floor of my tent then also threw in some oak leaves, pine needles , small sticks and some acorns. No way in a zillion years anyone would have noticed that some dried mushroom stems in that mix were anything special if they unrolled my tent.

Took me about a half hour to pick them out of the other stuff at the campsite. I was tripping pretty hard on that one hike everything looked so pretty and I just for some reason felt the need to sing Puff The Magic Dragon (he lived by the sea) for several hours as we hiked up the mountain.

1 Like

A LOT !! of people do.

www.google.com/search?q=walgreens+sucks

About 566,000 results (0.45 seconds)

I live in Tennessee. I get my insulin from Walgreens, paid for via Medicare Part B (I have a pump). Before I moved to the next county, the pharmacist at Walgreens would always ask me if I needed syringes/needles as a backup in case the pump failed. The 5 ml versions with 1” needles (way too long but all that were available at my pharmacy) were $0.25 each - no insurance or Rx involved. After my move, the people at the new Walgreens are real dummies, but if I lead them by the hand, they do the same thing. So it can’t be a Walgreens policy to require an Rx for drug paraphernalia (being a little sarcastic there (gotta get some fun out of being diabetic).

1 Like

Sue him for what? But to answer your Q, yes, you can sue anybody for anything, even for insulting you (which case will shortly be thrown out).