Can my puppy be a diabetic alert dog in disguise?

I am a pediatric nurse and so I am around a lot of kids with seizure disorders who have alert dogs. A few months ago I was "alerted" by a patient's seizure dog and I tested in the 70's which is running on the low side for me.I thought, hmm, that's cool. That same dog alerted a seizure for a kid that was three rooms away from his.
Fast forward to last night when my 13 week old puppy who has been sleeping in his crate since we got him, woke up and began barking incessantly. As soon as he started barking and I woke up I knew I was low. My husband got him out of the crate and he didn't want to go outside he just wanted to get to me. And he did. He licked and nibbled at me like crazy, ears down and just not like his usual self. Could he have been "alerting" me? Does anyone have any experience with their non DAD dogs alerting to their medical issues?

1 Like

I have a hypoglycemia alert dog. Due to this I have heard many stories of people's pets alerting them to hypoglycemia. Dog's have an incredible sense of smell. If you pet has a strong bond with you, it makes sense that s/he would want to alert you to danger.

You won't know if his "alert" was merely coincidental or if it was really triggered by the smell of your low until you spend more time observing this puppy. This puppy's nose could be very useful to you. Keep in mind, however, that to be a service dog, this puppy will need a robust training schedule that socializes him to a wide array of human environments including grocery stores, public transportation, doctor's offices, dental office, coffee shops and many other situations. A service dog has a wide skill set that exceeds whatever medical service s/he provides. I've witnessed many poorly trained "service dogs" misbehaving at public venues due to a discomfort with the setting. Servcie dogs also need impeccable obedience skills.

I've heard that seizure alert dogs must have a "natural" ability to detect and alert for seizures. Hypoglycemia alert dogs are trained using the scent of a low blood sugar. We don't know what the cue is that precedes an epileptic seizure, therefore we can't isolate the smell and use it to train a dog. We can only train or refine the natural skill that a dog may have that displays this alerting ability.

I think that dogs know but the challenge is to get them to tell you.

Our puppy is a Belgian Malinois.They are used in the military, drug and bomb detection so we know he has an incredible nose. I wasn't looking for an alert dog but if that's what he does it's just a bonus.
We didn't know for sure about how the seizure alerted for me or if it was just a coincidence but it was incredible that the dog alerted for a kid that was 3 rooms away and not even a kid with epilepsy but had a seizure from a medication reaction.

I think he does know and wanted to alert you. You should try to train him for sure. I wish I could train my kitties to alert me. I think sometimes they do seem to know maybe when I'm low and seem to get closer to me, but I'm not sure.