Can we talk about work?

Final interview today. I need to go in and talk to their company president. Nerve wracking. 100 degrees in a wool suit - 1 hour drive w/o A/C. So many things could go wrong, but I am sooo close. Cross your fingers for me.

4 Likes

Good luck. There is still time to rethink the wool suit.

1 Like

The wool was a bad, bad choice. Technically, that’s business formal. Business formal has a way of ruining me under extreme weather conditions. Oh well. Now, I have seen what happens when you wear this suit to an interview during extreme cold (-30) and extreme hot (90-something).

Sweat was dripping down my face. The drive was 1 1/2 hours. There was traffic. The secretary was kind and offered me a glass of water. It was enough to save me from possible heat exhaustion, but not enough to restore me to coherency during the interview.

I survived to interview another day. Phone interviews only tomorrow. Thank God.

3 Likes

I’m close this time, Tim. I think I passed 5 hurdles with one company - only one more interview. I’m super close this time. I’ll know in 2 weeks.

3 Likes

I’m praying for you too!

2 Likes

Unfortunately you are right David. Our system is based on the 2% rule, 2% of the people in the world screw thing up for the other 98 percent of us. Its those 2 percent that cause all the onerous rules that are causing you to jump through hoops. If the 2 percenters did not exist you would be able to apply for benefits based on your honest word, it would be a simple transaction.

I grit my teeth when I see a deserving person, such as you, being hassled because of the 2% rules, I am rooting for you.

4 Likes

I think that that 2% is actually closer to 20% of people, Gary, LOL. 2% might be full blown sociopaths, but 20% lean a little exploitative. I think of it like a normal curve where 20% of people are really kind and helpful. 20% are ‘bad news.’ But then there are 60% of people in the middle who can go either way - those are the tricky ones who behave a little unpredictably.

Perhaps you are right, 2% may be outdated. But think of it this way, the 2%ers do more than the damage they commit personally. Little Johnny did not pick up that rock and throw it until he saw the 2 percenter do it first. The strung out crackhead would not have become that way if some 2 percenter had not first offered him/her a crack pipe. Perhaps most of the 20% exploitative types would not exist if they had not been shown how to exploit.

There is a small number of people out there that are leading an awful lot of other people astray.

2 Likes

Its possible.

I only take issue with the numbers. 10 - 20% of people have personality disorders and those are some pretty bad eggs. They might be born with it and there is no treatment, really. 1% are true psychopaths or sociopaths. I actually don’t mind the psychopaths as much because I find their behavior and emotions more predictable. Its the 10% or so of personality disorders that really get under my skin.

Its my theory that those parts of our humanity exist to ensure survival of the species at any cost. When things turn bad, its possible that you need those people. When people were escaping from the Gulag during times that were difficult to escape, 3 guys left together. There would be a pact between 2 guys and third guy was called, “The walking meat.” That’s your 20% right there. Lots of those guys escaped to Finland from Russia. That’s why I think Finland has some issues with Explosive Raid disorders and stuff.

Originally, when Russia was settled, there were boats that went down the river from the Nordic countries. It is my theory that they kicked the bad eggs off the boat and left them in Russia. That’s why I think Russia can never be normal. I think they were founded by Bad Eggs. Russians are survivalists by nature because they have to be…because they have always been - maybe our 20% is their 30%.

I think that I am evaluating potential coworkers as either top 20% or not. I think that’s making it hard to find a suitable subset of people to work with. I need to be more flexible. That strategy worked super well in a healthcare setting, but its not going to be effective in a professional setting. There are just so many bad eggs. I might also be noticing that the more prestigious and highly paid the job is, the more bad eggs.

Look how many people our angels in the medical system got addicted to opioids? Imagine how many professionals were compliant in that. I can’t. Full of bad eggs in medicine, but the system is bad and providing incentives to individual to behave like bad eggs. That’s apparently a super effective strategy.

@mohe0001 just catching up on this thread…best of luck doesn’t begin to cover things… Luck from above? Luck from TUD? None of those seem right because I don’t think you need luck. You just need the right company to come along and treat you like the awesome person that you are. :1st_place_medal:

5 Likes

I know who the ‘good’ ones in town are - they reach out. I have also identified a bunch of the ‘bad’ ones. I think that’s good to know, upfront, when your starting out in industry. I’m getting close. Thanks for the well wishes, El_Ver!!! Your the best!

1 Like