Canada sells same insulin for 90% off

That’s the point I’m trying to make though, it’s a great system because it is single payer and it works. I’m certain American wealth and ingenuity could make it work for people under 65 too. But either way, as @Jimi63 pointed out, we do not have lower drug prices because we subsidize drugs - we just don’t allow drug companies to sell drugs for unfair prices. The US could do this too without changing the healthcare system.

3 Likes

Obama had a good plan but it was not implemented because they did not want to put the armies of useless office workers in health care out of the job.

I tried to find the article on it again but got 100s of thousands of search results.
Anyway the United States health-care system wastes an estimated $375 billion annually in billing and insurance-related paperwork a new study says.

Its pretty amazing how with the invention of computers and the internet we have more paper pushers then ever before.

When the diesel engine was invented and farm equipment modernized we went from having something like 80% of the population doing agriculture down to 2% today.

But when we moved from mechanical type writers, rotary phones, file cabinets and snail mail to the amazing information processing and instant communication power of computers and the internet and we have more office workers then ever before.

It makes no sense.

1 Like

Does not seem weird to me at all. There is a pretty large group of individuals that just like to complain regardless if you make life better or worse for them.

1 Like

I personally have never had a problem with wait-times for tests or procedures, nor known anyone who has had problems. When I’ve gone to emergency and needed tests (x-rays, ultrasounds, echocardiograms, gastroscopies) or had a doctor mark a referral as an emergency, they are always done immediately or within the next day or two. I’ve had to wait a couple of months for non-emergency tests or procedures, but never anything close to approaching a year or more. I don’t doubt there are people who experience that, just no one I know, and my circle has quite an extensive experience with serious medical conditions.

I suspect most people will like the system they are used to compared to a system they don’t have any experience with.

6 Likes

What’s the purpose of posting a graphic of the members of only one party who opposed the drug bill when there were three times as many opponents from the other party?

Why would it be weird? There were millions of people (many diabetics), including myself, who couldn’t get decent insurance before Obamacare because of a pre-existing condition. It has saved me over $30K. The Rs only replacement idea would throw us into risk pools, where we would end up paying much higher premiums.

2 Likes

Weird because it was reviled as being unconstitutional (missed by ONE vote: John Roberts) over the mandate, and then all the hand-wringing when it appears it may be headed for the dustbin. There just can’t be any real consensus of what’s good or bad. Like they say,“you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of people all of the time.”

Yea home town kids!

I would have loved to go with, but I dont have a valid passport and I DO have final exams.

1 Like

Its all I could find. Doesn’t look like pharma’s puppet Corey Booker has any chance at the democrat presidential nomination anyway.

I want to see Trump and Bernie go at it.

Regulation, unlike the US, is what keeps Insulin prices lower here. Ceiling prices are regulated in Canada by the Patented Medicines Prices Review Board (part of Health Canada). Prices are then further lowered through negotiation with the pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance (the bulk purchaser of medicines which includes the provinces and the federal government). That’s why our medicines are way cheaper than in the US. The US has the highest prices of medicines in the world by quite a margin.

3 Likes

Because that is a gimme

Do they have Novolog in the formulary?

Yes, and it is the same company. Which means that they ‘should’ have Fiasp as well.
But, I have called the pharmacy, I have had my endo put the prescription in for Fiasp to ‘dispense as written’, etc. and I always get Novolog.

1 Like

Yeah. Exactly my thought. Unfortunate.
At our pharmacy, it is only about a 5% cost difference.
Supposed to be another FDA approval soon for Fiasp - pumps maybe? Perhaps that will help to get it into the VA system? Maybe?

https://health.mil/About-MHS/OASDHA/Defense-Health-Agency/Operations/Pharmacy-Division/DoD-Pharmacy-and-Therapeutics-Committee
There was a formulary request that included Fiasp, but it was cancelled.Formulary request

In other depressing news…We got snow last night. Not much. Just enough to kill any flowers and make everyone mad.

From Insulin4All group…

Hello Minnesota Insulin4All Advocates,

We were blown away by the media coverage we received from our recent #CaravanToCanada this past weekend:

Upcoming events that we’d love to have you join us at:

• Monday, May 13th - Mother’s Day Press Event - 10 a.m. - State Capitol - Please RSVP here Mother’s Day Press Event RSVP. We’d love for people to attend, we just can’t make the event public right now because there is concern that if we publicize it, it could jeopardize negotiations for our insulin-related bills.
  • Wednesday, May 15th - #MNInsulin4All Meeting - 7:30 - 9 p.m. - Southdale Library - Please RSVP here Chapter Meeting RSVP. This is our next all chapter meeting. We’ll be discussing Social Media Tips (including, by request, a Twitter 101 training!), Legislative Update from this Session, and Post-Session Activities.

They’ve done that for years. Their system is different.

Snowing in spring it is. What is that?

It is the bane of the arctic north. But, it will be in the 70’s day after tomorrow. I’m so worried it will rain for graduation…then it snows. Its anybody’s guess.

I am so very lucky to have insurance that pays for my Humalog, and I do not have a copay. I use only one vial of Humalog with my pump each month. My insurance companies have always paid for my insulin. At today’s prices I might also travel to Canada if I did not have insurance. It is only a 5 hour drive from my NY home to Canada.

2 Likes

IN August, 1965, my wife and I were wanting to use the eastern entrance to Yellowstone. It had snowed the previous night, and we had to wait more than an hour for the snow plows to clear the road. The roads inside the park had already been plowed. Later that day the sun was bright, and the temperature was much better. It was a very nice visit to Yellowstone, our first.

1 Like