Carb-Light Diet Helps T1D Patients Achieve Glycemic Control

"Among people with type 1 diabetes, following a very low-carbohydrate diet (VLCD) can aid in achieving glycemic control, researchers suggested.

Responses from an online survey of people with type 1 diabetes found that those who followed a VLCD reported very good glycemic control – a mean HbA1c of 5.67% ± 0.66%, according to the study by Belinda Lennerz, MD, Ph.D., of Boston Children’s Hospital, and colleagues. Overall, 97% of these participants achieved the recommended glycemic targets of the American Diabetes Association."

How many here eat low carb?

I do.

I eat low carb.

I do, and I have for the past 10 years. Been more strict lately.

I eat ‘lower’ carb most the time. But will allow myself to indulge in the occasional higher carbohydrate meal from time to time.

Low-ish. I try to keep the carbs to 15-20% of total grams of macros which is about 70 for me.

Not me. I probably eat 120-150 grams carb most days. To do that, though, I can’t put all the carbs into three meals. I have to split it between meals and several snacks, allowing my BG to drop between each. Otherwise, my BG would go over 200 after almost every meal. I’ve achieved an A1c between 5.5 and 6.1 for the past five years. I weigh only 112 pounds at present, so am affected by carbs more quickly than those who weigh considerably more.

Not me. I try to stay around 100 - 120 gms/day. Last two A1Cs were 5.6 and I exercise at least an hour and get at least 13,000 steps a day. I only weigh 112 lbs and my BMI is just below 20. It’s all portion control, exercise, and a great pump/CGM system.