Carb ratios

Hey guys, I’m wondering if any of you have really low carb ratios? Mine is currently 1:50, and I find as long as I am active, I don’t need much insulin at all to cover a lot of carbs (and I do eat a lot of carbs). My basals are pretty normal compared to other people I talk to, about 0.8-1.1 u/hr depending on the time of day.

My carb ratio was more like 1:12 for years before I got into cycling, and I do start to notice an increase in my insulin needs if I’m totally sedentary for a couple days. All I can come up with is that maybe I have a higher number of glucose receptors on my muscles… any ideas or similar experiences?

Hi Sara,

It’s been a month or so since I’ve had a really good ride/workout. I’ve recently had to readjust even my basal rates to account for my sedentary ways. Should be motivation to keep moving right? lol I love Ohio weather!!! On average my daily insulin use went up 10-15% overall since being active. I can’t wait for the all the lows while I start riding again and get readjusted.

Sooo…morale of the story is you aren’t crazy, this could be a very normal ratio based on YOUR body.

Just my two cents!

-Mike

Hi Sara,
Following up on what Mike posted, carb ratio is absolutely variable dependent on activity. Normal basal for me is .6 - 1.5 units depending on the time of the day. While in steady training my basal is reduced by 30%, for days on end. The carb ratio is much more difficult to figure; I view it as very fuzzy math. I find mine will range from 1:15 normally to 1:30 with steady activity, and sometimes even higher as a result of a really long training day. One of my teammates, Phil Southerland, has been documenting his adventures with fluctuating insulin ratios on his blog, http://philsoutherland.blogspot.com/.

If you get it totally figured out let me know the secret.

Usually I dont’ change my diet when bikyng, only add some snack DURING biking (half an hour after starting and every two hours later). It’s not effective on my G- balance!

My ration jumped from 1:25 to 1:37 after starting to bike. I also find if I eat while exercising, I take almost no insulin.

Hey Sara,
Just like Tim P my levels also fluctuate widely when in training vs non training, basal varies form .5 to 1.0 and my ratio seems to even more in the cloudy area than I would like but if I moniter constantly I can stay on top of it’s movement