Carolyn Grace's birth story

Our daughter, Carolyn Grace, was born on January 27th at 9:42 a.m., weighing in at 6 pounds, 13 ounces and 19 inches long. I was 39 weeks along, and we had a scheduled c-section.

A c-section was not a foregone conclusion for us. I had ovarian cysts develop during my pregnancy, which the doctor wanted to take care of if at all possible since we want more kids. Also, she was measuring BIG according to the ultrasounds (surprise, she was a little SMALL by the end - lesson learned not to believe the ultrasounds because they are not reliable). I also had concerns what a prolonged labor would do to my blood sugars, and keeping them in tight range was important to me to help her be born with normal blood sugars herself. However, we didn't make the decision for certain until the 38th week. The procedure went well, and I don't regret it for one minute.

At delivery, she had no blood sugar issues, and her Apgars were 8 and 9. Within 40 minutes, she was latched on to me in the recovery room.

Throughout my pregnancy, I tried very hard to keep my blood sugars tightly controlled, and my A1c never got above 5.3. This did not mean that I had constant lows or that I didn't have occasional highs. I did, and they freaked me out (just like most of us on this board). The key really is being vigilant about correcting highs and adjusting basal and bolus ratios, as needed.

We have been home for nine days, and things are going pretty well. Wait til you first time mommies see what happens with blood sugars and breastfeeding. I'm on 70% of my pre-pregnancy basal rates, and I snack quite often and don't need to bolus at all. That's a far cry from the last 12 weeks of my pregnancy!

I am really thankful for all the advice and encouragement from the ladies on this board over the last nine months. It was so incredibly helpful not to feel like I was going through the diabetes aspect of being pregnant alone. Good luck to all of you who are currently pregnant and baby dust to those of you trying!

A couple of photos...

DSCF2592.JPG

What a beautiful family! Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Am very impressed with your <5.3 A1Cs... I am not pregnant and still not sure I want to make that leap, so am new to this group to "see how it is done." Your story is very inspiration and awe-some!

Thank you for sharing your story! Congratulations!

oh, what a wonderful birth story! congrats to you and best wishes to your family.

Kate
Type 1 Momma

Congratulations!!

Thanks for sharing your story and the pic! Congratulations!