Casey Card

“My name is Casey Card. I am 26 years old. April 8, 2014 will be the 13th anniversary of my diagnosis with type 1 diabetes.

When the words “You have diabetes” fell from my doctor’s lips, I had no idea what that meant. There is no way to prepare for the injections, the testing, eating when I don’t want to, not being able to eat when I’m starving, the highs with their exhaustion and thirst, and the lows with their anxiety and shakes. The word “forever” is one I didn’t fully appreciate until I’d had diabetes for several years.

Since my diagnosis I have played varsity soccer, created a team for the ADA’s Tour de Cure, learned to knit, got my BA in Italian literature, lived in Italy, become bilingual, been an English teacher, painted a self-portrait, researched diabetes at Yale, learned to salsa dance, sung “Thrift Shop” at karaoke, and got into medical school… twice. Currently I am living in Ireland studying my way through year two of medical school.

I don’t like it when people attribute my strength of character to living with a chronic illness. I’d like to think I am me, as I always would have been, though I am dealing with diabetes. Diabetes didn’t deal with me to make me who I am. It affects my life choices, sure; I’d probably not be involved in diabetes research and fundraising without the personal interest but those are activities, not identity. The best thing I can say for this disease is that it hasn’t stopped me yet, even if it slows me down occasionally.”

To see more stories and to find out how to submit your own please visit www.TheFacesofDiabetes.com