CDC Adds T1D to COVID-19 High-Risk List

@mohe0001 Thanks for Iron Range pictures! and here’s hoping you get your second vax as scheduled.
We miss Paul Wellstone for sure, congress could use a few more like him.

2 Likes

@truenorth – I resisted quoting Paul Wellstone when @mohe0001 first posted the picture of the crash site where he died. Now that you refer to him, I can’t hold back and this quote retains its currency, especially in the era of a pandemic when public health policy really matters.

We all do better when we all do better. – Paul Wellstone

3 Likes

Nice pics. Love the dog.

1 Like

The UK and Europe listed Type 1 diabetes as high risk. Even more at risk of death from COVID

1 Like

California has ignored this. They still don’t list Type 1 diabetes as high risk

1 Like

I was happy to read that Oregon quickly responded to the CDC inclusion of T1D. These additional groups become eligible on Monday, April 5, 2021.

Governor Kate Brown announces expanded eligibility

Today [2 April 2021], Governor Kate Brown announced Oregon is expanding COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to include all household family members of frontline workers . She also announced that Oregon is expanding its criteria of underlying health conditions to match the CDC’s extended list.

3 Likes

Just added this to my long list of “bad decisions made by government delaying my getting Covid-19 Vaccination”.
These include Federal, State, and Local (County Health Dept).
I’ve been trying to get the shot for months.
Mostly State and Local problems.
Ohio Gov Dewine deviated from CDC guidelines, prioritized rural and minority areas, and failed to provide centralized appointment scheduling.
Summit County, taking direction from state, passed down these practices.
Federal did great job, at least until Biden took over.

2 Likes

@Kahzeilbub – Have you tried getting on a standby list at your local pharmacy?

Where I live could only register at 3 places: Health Dept., and 2 Drug store chains, They never contacted me even up to today. All others could not register, but visit website occasionally, to be informed nothing available. I could if I was willing to drive 30 min-1 hour out of my area (not willing).
Know some neighbors that drove 1 hour out of area to get it. Never option for “standby”.

Perhaps you could enlist the help of a younger relative or friend. I don’t know your age but if you’re above the age of 50 you may not be as familiar with the internet and app environment as a younger person.

I know my older sister and her husband (both in their mid-70s) received their hard-to-find appointments when their daughter used her digital sleuthing skills to locate scarce appointments.

I was waiting in line at CVS to pick up a prescription yesterday and the person in line in front of me asked the pharmacist about the Covid vaccination availability. I got the distinct impression that if I showed up about 30 minutes before closing time and offered to take the dose of a “no-show,” I suspect that would work.

I’m not a social schmoozer but I highly value getting this vaccination sooner rather than later. I would be willing to do what it takes to get that vaccination.

Watching the amount of vaccine supply rapidly going up tells me that supply and demand will likely be matched in the next several weeks. If you’re willing to just sit tight, I do believe you will be offered a vaccination soon.

I wish you the best.

1 Like

You gotta just do the drive @Kahzeilbub, if at all possible. The new strains! The Midwest is festering. But, check here first just to be sure. Its best to try and schedule just after midnight: Shutdown | Vaccine Spotter

@Kahzeilbub, there appear to be a lot of open appointments across the state, but there are a couple dead spots and some fishy warnings to take note of. For instance, this one:

Note: All of those green dots are unscheduled appointments and places where they are just throwing vaccine away. Red dot clusters indicate shortages. Urban areas are always short, rural area always have excess. Its the same here. I drove 3 hours, one way, to get far enough outside of the metro. That’s been pretty standard here, for where the excess is.

3 Likes

@Kahzeilbub

Are you 18+? Do you live in Ohio?

Using no more than that information, I was just able to schedule an appointment (well, I didn’t really, but I could have …) in a handful of cities in OH. I selected Toledo.

At this hour, it is just past 1 am in OH … so, not surprisingly … most cities in Ohio are showing “Not available”.

However, most days (not every day) CVS.com will reload one or more days of vaccine availability … usually between 5 and 6 am EDT.

If you get up early and keep a close eye on CVS.com, I can almost GUARANTEE that you will be able to successfully register for both first and second doses over the next 2-3 days … and will have your first dose in 7-10 days. Note: they tell which vaccine each store has, and if it is a two-dose, you will be able to schedule BOTH appointments at the same time.

You’ll need insurance information and have to answer a few questions, but other than that, you CAN register … and you don’t, to the best of my knowledge, need county or state authorization … other than meeting the age requirements.

The key is being on CVS.com EARLY. My guess is that at most CVS stores in OH, they will be showing no availability by 8 am.

As the saying goes: “The early bird gets vaccinated”.

Best of luck. While I don’t know anything about Ohio, I’ve been quite successful getting reservations for myself and friends in CA, AZ, NM, and other states.

Stay safe!

John

Ps, RiteAid, Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens, and other “federally approved” pharmacies are giving vaccines too … you can try them too, but I don’t know when they release new reservations. Probably VERY early though …Of those, Walgreens.com is the only one that requires you to create an account with email and password ahead of time.

If you tell me the city in which you live, I can narrow down more local options for you.

2 Likes

@Kahzeilbub

As you earlier mentioned Summit county in Ohio, I did a bit of searching on various sites using the zipcode 44223 that is, I think in Akron.

On Walgreens.com as of 11 am EDT on Sunday 4/4, there are appointments available on Friday, 4/8 at multiple Walgreens within 15 miles of that zipcode. And, they are likely adding more appointments early each morning.

Good luck,

John

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone responding trying to help. Let me repeat that I already got my 1st Pfizer, and am scheduled for the 2nd.
Perhaps this info will help others still looking for an appointment.
I especially liked a response that showed a map with dots of shortages of vaccines, another color dots of available ones. It really illustrates how in Ohio the vaccine distribution was very unbalanced to need (shortages in urban areas, excesses in rural). Some people were willing to drive 3 hours to get the shot. I just feel it could have been handled better.
Thanks again for the helpful advice!

2 Likes