CES 2013 - Dexcom G5 on smartphone

And if a smartphone Dexcom app failed for any reason, it wouldn't affect the user, because we should still be relying on finger sticks. I could see the worry if a Dexcom app was actually sending information like how much to bolus, but it doesn't - it just shows a number with no action.

Exactly - The FDA needs to pick one side of the argument or the other. Either its a critical medical device that should be actionable or its a pretty trend graph. At this point they assume its a pretty trend graph. So there is no reason not to allow it to be displayed on my phone, my cars navigation, the corner of my big screen TV, and the corner of my PC. If the manufacturers would just agree on an open interface it could be that easy since pumps and CGMS systems are similar 4 or 5 button interfaces with a display.

You know what? I’m totally excited to see Terry Gregg talk about their G5 product. All of you speculating that it won’t happen b/c it’s linked to a phone are naysayers. Lets have some optimism and hope. The FDA is certainly not a ‘cutting edge’ government organization but I hope companies like Dexcom continue to make their case that their diagnostic tools are indeed helping a lot of diabetics who need this type of information with less hassle. Streamlining it to a smartphone is definitely the future. Mobile health is the future. Go Dexcom!!!

I agree with this completely. I'm happy with Dexcom's direction and I'd be perfectly willing to sign some sort of waiver saying that I won't sue anyone if my phone crashes or gives the wrong reading.

When I first got my DexCom Seven Plus I compiled a list of things I wanted to see changed with both the hardware and software. Some of those changes are already in the G4 (smaller size, better shape, micro USB port). Other items on my list will hopefully be addressed in future versions. Using a smartphone instead of a proprietary receiver was high on my list and I'm glad Dexcom seems to think so as well.

The current Dexcom implementation uses proprietary software in the receiver to calculate a glucose reading based on transmitted sensor values after filtering out noise and integrating calibration values.

Since a phone implementation would necessarily use Bluetooth for connectivity that is by design two way communication instead of the current Dexcom technology of a transmitter than only transmits and a receiver that only receives. This would open up the possibility of adding the calculation logic to the transmitter itself. The calibration values would be sent to the device and it would return the calculated glucose. You could then have non-proprietary receivers that would only display the value without the risk of faulty calculation logic; wouldn't it be cool to have a Bluetooth DexCom watch that always shows a reading? I hate having to press a button to see the value - especially since doing so also snoozes any alert. Another possibility would then be to integrate the calibration process within meters. It would be nice to not have to manually enter values when they could be transmitted from a meter automatically.

Good feature ideas Mike. I think for pumpers, the smartphone capability is somewhat of a null point. I don't currently carry a smartphone on me, but I of course carry a pump with me all the time. When I'm able to have a Tandem or Animas that links, I'd prefer that to link rather than an otherwise uninvolved smartphone.

The FDA approval process doesn't work with waivers though. Their purpose is to make sure things can't crash, not deal with potential law suits when they DO crash. Though this should be another moot point until they start approving devices that automatically test and administer insulin without human input.

So I bet we are seeing Sony Xperia phone there because it has inbuilt support for ant+ protocol and dexcom was talking about using ant for G5. (http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/01/dexcom-android-phone-integration-and-other-exciting-stuff-from-gadget-world-aka-ces.html).

Also in that same story they are talking about sophisticated transmitter that has smartbrains, so I guess thats already in the pipeline.

Its also interesting how small your "brains" can be these days(1.9x2 millimeters);
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-02/27/tiny-arm-chip