CGM data question

I am currently using the Omnipod system and am looking into a CGM as well. I have done a lot of research, both online and with mailings from the various companies.

I have narrowed down my options to the DexCom Seven Plus and the Navigator. On another discussion, it was brought up that the Navigator has an excellent range (10 feet or more).

I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to find answers to online. The first is: if you are “out of range” for either the Seven Plus or the Navigator, do you lose all previously stored data? I realize when it is out of range, you wouldn’t have any blood sugar levels recorded. Considering that my Omnipod is almost always near me, either in my purse, on the table, etc…my only concern is going to the bathroom, getting the mail, etc…simple things.

My second question relates to the first…if you are “out of range” does an alarm sound? I would hate to think that every time I get up at work to go get something from the copier, get a drink, etc…that my CGM would alarm.

I love the freedom and discretion that my Omnipod provides me and want a CGM that is similar! For those that use an Omnipod, are the transmitters/sensors for the CGM similar in size to the Omnipod?

The range for the Navigator, although they won’t say, is well beyond 50ft. Depending on how you setup the alarms you can get an alarm. The range is also dependent on the battery in the sensor unit. The range is pretty amazing, it even goes through walls without dropping out.

I have not used the Dex.

Hi - Here’s a site with a good comparison between the CGMs -
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/continuous_monitoring.php

I use the Dexcom (for ~3months now - it’s really helpful knowing your bloodsugar 24/7). The range on it though is not great (sounds like the Nav is better in that aspect), but it doesn’t matter if you go out of range, meaning you can shut that alarm off & no, you don’t loose data.

The things that made me decide to go with the Dexcom over the Navigator was the smaller sensor/xmitter size (about 1/2 the size of the nav), longer sensor life (approved for 7, but really ok for ~10/ Nav approved for 5), the rechargeable receiver (Nav you need to change AAA batteries), no recharging xmitter at all with Dexcom(lasts 1yr+)/Nav you need to change monthly (watch battery), start time on the Dexcom is 2 hrs after you put it on/ nav is 10.

Dexcom’s biggest issues, in my opinion, are its lack of range, and after 1st putting it on it works right away, but then I get ???'s for an hour of so like an hour of so later (maybe that’s because it forming some scab or something around the sensor/ I would think it probably happens with all of them?).

Dexcom users on this site overall seem happy with the Dexcom like me. I haven’t really checked out the Nav. users group to know what they think (but S woodward seems to be pretty happy with the Navigator too!).

BatterIes, initial setup and sensor transmitter size are the minuses for the Nav.

I use the MM Paradigm, covered by Kiaser, and once you learn how to calibrate it, it works well. Plus, the transmitter is small, and will make it to 7 days.

Before you buy, you may want to see if your insurance will cover a temporary wearing through your doctor’s office. I’m on day 5 of a 6-day session with a Dex. Ostensibly, I’m wearing it because me and my doc are having trouble figuring out my overnight-morning numbers. But I’m in try-before-I-buy mode, too.

I have a pump with tubing, so have been wearing both devices clipped to my waistband. Other than looking a little bulky (sigh, it’s so hard to have a svelte silhouette with all these devices), it’s worked great. I’ve taken it off at night and just kept on my nightstand. The first night, had a 3-hour patch without data, but I don’t think it was the distance; following nights have been fine.

I think if I buy one, I may try to find a calf or ankle strap/holster so I don’t have to clip it to my waist. The Dex rep told me his wife wears hers in her sock, but that wasn’t very comfortable for me!

I have fingerpricked MORE while wearing it because the 20-minute or so lag time means I can’t trust the Dex number to treat to. I think I would get better at interpreting trends if I wore one all the time, so perhaps would eventually be able to fingerstick less.

Good luck in your pursuit of a cgm. They are pretty amazing technology.

PS: Sensor is small and has not given me any pain, tingling, or irritation around the adhesive patch.

I agree. I can be at my mailbox and my Nav receiver still picks up my transmitter signal in the house. Or I can be in the next classroom over and my Nav picks me up. I’ve worn it for over a year now.

Since it takes a new reading every 60 seconds, you lose only the minutes that you’re too far from the receiver. You do not lose previously stored data.

It often gives a reconnect alarm (short beeps) to me when I’m out of range. Sometimes I’ll come back to my classroom from the bathroom and one of my students will say “your thing was beeping” and I’ll realize I forgot to mute the alarms before that class.

The Dex does not lose previously stored data either, but the range is much shorter. I found I could not get from my bed to the master bathroom without losing the signal. I don’t remember what the beeping was like, but I think it’s similar. I used it only for a week on a trial.

The first hours of the MM and the Dex are less accurate than the Nav though, most of the time. The longer warm-up period allows for more accurate data, in my experience.

And while the transmitter may be larger in size on the outside of the skin, the sensor beneath the skin is more comfortable because it’s significantly thinner and shorter. I’d much prefer comfort below the surface to the appearance above. That affected my final decision.

I’m not knocking the Dex. I would consider it if I didn’t have the Nav. I just think the Nav is under-appreciated. It’s user-friendly, has a built-in meter that uses the same strips as the pod, is brutally accurate (even on a second wearing to day 10), and has been nothing but reliable for me.

I had heard differently from some people. When I use the MM side by side for clinical testing, the MM out did the Nav during initial calibration, but after is was calibrated, the Nav was more responsive to extreme variations. It was fun wearing them side by side.