CGM what do you think?

If they did not advise you of this, I suggest you call your insurance company and see if they should have billed it differently, or check if it should be included as service covered by copay.

I had this happen once, and was resolved between my insurance and billing at doctors office.

Insurance said that the AMA Added the service type and that it was a valid charge. Just steams me as I can run the exact same reports and there really is not any magic to interpreting it. I do not see it as a service above reading the finger sticks that they usually do as part of the regular visit. They just have more of them that actually makes their job easier.

Iā€™d also be looking for another doc. that charge is outrageous. I donā€™t get billed like that. Why should you?

I have had my LIbre for about 5 months now. Have never had any trouble with it and have never had a sensor come off before I removed it.
It may not be a CGM like the Dextron, but it is comparing apples and oranges.
The advantage I see is that instead of pricking my fingers 6 or 7 times a day, I can get instant , accurate and painless readings 30, 40 or 50 times a day.

Dexcom G5. Readings every five minutesā€¦ Sensor is water proof. Stays on even when swimming 3-4 times a week.
Two finger sticks when new sensor is installed then twice a day there after.

The FDA very recently approved the 14 day LIbre sensor for use in the USA. With it, I believe the warm-up time will be 2 hours, not the current 12 hours.

It may take a while before it actually gets on the market, but since it is already on the market outside of the USA, it should not take too long.

Yes, and a good thing because this Type 2 had a low of 39, woke up because of Dexcom. Two finger sticks confirmed the 39 reading.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I am new here & am a fairly new T2-just a year. I have also been following info on Libre v Dexcom recently(tired of finger pricking, especially when Iā€™m out). There are 2additional pcs. To use w/Libre to make it a CGM. One was mentioned in another post:Blucon & the other is MiaoMiao. Nerddiabetic has a u-tube channel & tested both of these. Itā€™s very informative(& so sre his videos). Abbott is, supposedly, coming out with new bluetooth Libre - maybe sign up for notifications from them for info on it. I sort of like both but still havenā€™t made the decision. Cruising in Dec. & really donā€™t want to have fp before meals especially. R

Insurance companies want you to meet certain criteria.Have you had lows? Are you on insulin? If insurance covers it for you Libre might be your best bet. Nancy50

I find alarms essential but I have used both devices. My medicare coverage keeps shutting off and it seems to take Dexcom about a month to get things restarted so during those intervals I use the Libre. I know that I wake up with serious highs when I am on the Libre due to no alarms.

I find accuracy also is a problem with Libre but that may not be true in other places where it can be calibrated.

I donā€™t think it matters if you are type 1 or 2 but more important is how stable and predictable you are as to whether you need alarms or not.

I think the Libre + MiaoMioao is great. I was not managing my diabetes, had an A1c of 8.7 and was offered Humalog with meals. My sister has had hypos with seizures, so I asked for a Libre too. Using it first with the Libre reader and the MiaoMiao/Spike combo, I understood carbs and my BG for the first time. I now limit carbs, gave up sugar, rice, grains and potatoes, and Iā€™m off insulin and have an A1c of 5.9. Iā€™ve lost 60 pounds in 4 months too. Basically the Libre forced me to study what my eating was doing to my body. It was The thing that woke me up! (Iā€™m just pissed to be paying $75/month for something that is saving my insurance $1000s in insulin costs yearly.)

1 Like