CGMS Flatliner

I was fortunate to have an insurance provider (United) that is pretty liberal toward CGMS. I have been indifferent toward getting started with it, but after my package arrived, my enthusiasm increased. I’ve seen a lot of posts about fears of the needle associated with the Medtronic CGMS Sof-Sensor, but it honestly hurt no more or no less than my pump needle, or the thousands of BD syringes that I have stuck myself with over the years. At this point, I think I could shoot myself up with one of those olde timey needles you see in cartoons, without batting an eye. I definitely don’t understand how insulin dependent folks can use that as a rationalization to stay away from CGMS.

While the wearing of the CGMS transmitter is a little uncomfortable, I am already seeing the benefits. Yes, it's easy to get focused on the number's you're seeing the pump push at you, every few minutes. However, I've found it's much more helpful to see the trending up or trending down and knowing ahead of time that I may or may not need to make an adjustment.

The best thing is when you have a good 24 hour period. I’ve somehow been able to keep all of my readings – both pre and post meals – within my high and low warning points. And specifically this afternoon, have had a nice flatline to look at. This is one medical reading where having a flatline is a good thing. -----------------------

How’s the comfort level on the sensor?
Does it wiggle around alot? I’m going to try to get my insurance to cover one later this year and these type of questions keep coming to mind.

Yes, it wiggles. I actually have had to place and IV3000 over the top of it to hold it. Even with using a IV prep wipe, it hasn’t helped the adhesion. This is especially true on my stomach, where movement is an issue. When I change next, I am going to try a “less movable” area, but have a feeling IV3000 will be a requirement… the transmitter is just too loose and easy to bump without it.

I wonder if product designers ever actually test out their own devices. If they had to, then they’d figure out that something that goes under your skin should NOT flop around.