Challenging ...Memorial Day weekend

Memorial day weekend is here already? Where does the time go?

This is the part of the year I start reflecting on many things including how all this affects my diabetes…BBQ’s are rolling around which includes a few cold beers here and there =)…many more activities with end of school year approaching, book fair, PTA, graduation celebrations…being a summer taxi cab driver…keeping kids busy…all while still trying to work and keep myself on my priority list…

I start out gung ho trying to keep track, journaling, carb intake, packing food, shopping lists, bringing healthy foods to BBQ’s…it’s hard to keep up though and I start sliding into the big bowl of BBQ sauce on some days!..I grew up living off of hamburgers, hot dogs (all those great icky nitrates and god knows what else), grandma’s old fashioned recipes of macaroni salad, potato salad, tuna salad with giant spoonfuls of miracle whip, mayo, sweet relish etc…for many years I’ve tried to change my food habits, switched ingredients with recipes, bought bbq and ketchup with agave syrup…as much as I try to keep up sometimes you just want for ONE DAY not to think about your diabetes and enjoy the summer days without watching carbs, checking your machine, shooting up, remembering meds or bolusing (now thanks to my pretty pink ping, just passed my 1 month anniversary)…how to keep up somedays is difficult…everything in moderation…hard to wrap my mind around it all as I reflect about how much I’ve learned and continue to grow with each year that passes…

With that I’m wishing everyone a wonderful weekend! I hope you all get the chance to spend a few moments with friends and family to relax and laugh…Remembering why we all get to celebrate this holiday weekend…Thanks to all those in the armed forces who protect and serve this great country of ours…

Big D hugs!
Jaimie

Memorial Day Tribute…click here

Wish you a great weekend and happy years to come my dear.Cheers