Changes in testing numbers?

I am a new Type 2. Recently I tested after a normal meal at 157. Alarmed, I tested immediately again (on another finger) and tested at 127. Yesterday I did the same thing and there was a 20 point drop between the first and second testing. I did a test strip on my batch of test strips and they were within normal range.
Any ideas of why this happens?

strips can be up to 20% off from a lab reading and still get approved by the fda. usually 30 point swings between tests in the 100s aren’t that common, but it happens Also, did you have anything on your fingers? that can have an effect too

The FDA allows a pretty wide margin-of-error for glucometers. In fact, they allow the same wide margin of error that they allowed when home glucose testing kits became widely available in the 70s and 80s. They permit a 20% error (in either direction) compared to lab standards, and a 30 point deviation in either direction between meters. So, I can get a reading of 110 on one meter and 140 on another. I can get a reading of 120 on my meter at home (at which I would not correct), but I could actually be 145 (a number I probably would correct, depending on circumstances). In addition, my meter could say that I’m 95, a number I feel perfectly safe to get behind the wheel of a car with. BUT, I could actually be 72, a number that I would not want to be operating a vehicle with.

Unfortunately, the FDA has not budged on tightening this standard. For type 2s (particularly those on oral meds), this isn’t a huge deal. BUT, for type 1s like myself, where we are constantly making insulin administration decisions based on these numbers, it can be a matter of life and death. I’ve had a few bad hypos that I’m convinced were the result of erroneous meter readings.

When re-testing in those circumstances I have found it usually gives more repeatable results if I use the same finger.

Look for trends, not absolute accuracy.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia
Everything in Moderation - Except laughter