Changes to our Discussions: home page and Forum page

Thanks for saying this, Dino!

BTW, just so you know there is a new category titled “Community Games” in the Forum:
http://tudiabetes.com/forum/categories/community-games/listForCategory

We have moved most of the classic games that were in place already into it (including yours). :wink:

I like it too, but I’ve been around here a long time, and I know where things are. I tend to check things out the same way: look at new people in “members” to see if anybody joined from one of the many places I’ve lived, check forum discussions for discussions on which I think I could make a meaningful comment, and check forums and blogs for posts that never got any responses (it’s so disappointing when no one responds!). I also like to refer people to older discussions, and perhaps to members or groups they might be interested in.

I think there’s definitely a place for humor here, and we can balance it out. The funniest thing I ever read was Dino’s response to “when did you last change your lancet”, talking about all the good times he had with it in the spring and summer, but it was time to get a new one. You’re very special, D.

Ok, it might be me, but I’m really confused. I like the screen shot of the “Forum Page” above, especially because it has the most recent replies listed under all the categories all on one page and then a menu of categories on the left. Previously I found it frustrating that I could click on “Type 1” or “Type 2” from the Forum tab, but to get to “LADA/Type 1.5” I had to go through “All Discussions” first.

Only problem is I can’t find that page!! When I go to the home page I just get featured discussions and most recent discussions unseparated by category which I don’t care for. I clicked on Home and found a very interesting page with pics, birthdays, etc, but still not the ready access to topics. I tried clicking on the Forum tab, rather than the drop down menu and got the same thing. How do I get to this “forum” page you show above, Manny?

To be able to view the most recent replies PER category:

• Go to Forum.
  • Click on the “View” dropdown" on the right.

* Select the "Categories" option.

Hi Marie,
I agree that there is a place for humor here. However, as Dino himself mentioned earlier, it was taking up half or more of the home page space under Forum section, which really is not the purpose of the site (the main purpose, that is).

We feel a change to the home page was called for, as a result. It still leaves room for humor, but doesn’t give “game”-type topics the same weight as other diabetes-related topics.

As for referring others to older topics, all discussions are still there. Finding them is something that still can be done using the search box in the Forum.

I much preferred the old pages. I understand the need to control discussions, but maybe there’s another way? I really like what Diabetes Daily does, with the ability to look at TODAY’S or NEW posts. Their view offers a quick scan of board activity (similar to but broader than the former TuDiabetes home page did!)

Gerry,
What you describe can be accomplished at the Forum level, by choosing among these options from the second dropdown (“Sort By”):

Wow I remember that one…laughter makes us all a little more insulin sensitive I think :wink:

I like the change as a way to keep diabetes info front & center. I’ve often wondered if visitors to our community might think there weren’t other discussions here… Great to have lighter topics & fun, too! Laughter is the best medicine.

Change is good.

We’re doing our best to keep the featured discussions on the home page fresh (almost on a daily basis) so as to keep visitors (new and previous) engaged.

I agree that laughter is the best medicine. We’re not taking it away… just not making it the central focus of the home page. :slight_smile:

I think change is good Manny. I am new to all this technology stuff - so I haven’t gotten hooked on one “brand” so far - plus it keeps my brain active!!!

One problem I’m having is that the “Most recent forum replies” doesn’t update (or only does so once an hour or so, not matter how much I hit refresh). When I post or see a new post, the list will stay the same. I don’t know if this is me or the system, but it does make it difficult to follow discussions.