Changing Pump Parameters?

My numbers the past seven days have been a mess. Granted that I wasn’t precisely careful over the birthday weekend, but the past few days the trend has continued:

(the "0" value at the beginning of the chart is because I was away from my computer at the time, and I have not yet downloaded the values for that day... I wasn't that low!) :D

I am wondering: is it possible the parameters I have set up for my pump (units per gr of carb and units per mg/dl) no longer apply? Is that normal?

I can only speak for my daughter, and that certainly changes almost daily for children. Every time there is a growthspur, she tends to stay high and if I change her settings then ~a week later she has a large mumber of lows, till I change it back.
I also noticed that she will run high a couple of day before she is sick, as if her body knows that she is coming down with something, before the actual symptoms.
I believe that it is quite possible for the adult’s needs to change as well. You might be getting more resistant to insulin, have your hormones affect your D, weather, etc.
By the way, I think your numbers don’t look bad :slight_smile:

THX!

BTW, u may be saying that about the numbers because those are averages you are seeing! :S
(there’s some 70’s there and some 190’s-200’s in there…)

My units per mg/dl has been stable for many years. When I run high blood sugars, the insulin resistance can kick in but if I go back to strictly watching my diet it comes back. Using a temporary basel rate or a square wave bolus will work better than a bolus larger than 7 units. See Bernstein about the 7 unit recommendation. Temporarily changing insulin rates over time is the most difficult part. Mostly the fear of a bad reaction. I have never been to the ER for low blood sugar in 40 years but the adrenalin from a low blood sugar episode usually make me feel bad for hours.

The problem is usually what I put in my mouth (or a bad infusion site). :wink:

Don’t change your “permanent” basel rate with out doing the routine of not eating and testing. It will not work otherwise.

Once again, with children rates change all the time! And with children, those numbers don’t look so bad! Last week Westin was coming down wuth something and I had to set a temp basal of 120%! Now he is on a short script of oral steriods and his numbers are all over the place. Amazing when you can watch it on CGMS! Cedar Point could build rollercoasters with this graph! :slight_smile: I would try a temp basal for a week before making any perm. changes.

With diabetes every day is different and it is so not an exact science. Basically though we truely are what we eat.

I find that high fat foods do me in worse than carbs sometimes.

Bottom line as always moderation is key, but such a hard thing to do for all of us. Everytime we eat we are set up for failure as I can do the exact same thing two days in a row and get different results. Pumping does make our life easier, but diabetes still loves a schedule with eating and with tighter control comes more opportunity for failure and lows and every time we eat and bolus sets us up for failure.

This is great advice, Penn. I remember the 7 unit recommendation. I hadn’t thought of it since I started pumping, but it continues to make sense.

I have not heard of the 7 unit recommendation, but will have to go and do a search for it. High fat definitely does me in (i.e. pizza). It is very unpredictable and changes based on the chain and the day. Same place, two days in a row (hypothetical, I would never really do that :slight_smile: )Two different readings and high bg’s after so many hours. One day high still six hours, the next day high after 4. I try really hard not to eat things like that, but it is difficult. I just try to do moderation and test often.

I agree, there is a high amount of failure built in with this disease. It doesn’t matter if you do the pump or MDI.

“I agree, there is a high amount of failure built in with this disease.”

Um, didn’t you really mean to say, “there are nearly continuous opportunities for success with this disease.”?

Yes, it is possible. I find that my sliding scales are frequently on a slippery slope. I sometimes think that there may be some circadian rhythm in play, but more likely has to do with the usual suspects: diet, exercise and stress. HEY, since these three spend so much time together, I wonder if I am a victim of gang-related violence?

Fair Winds,
Mike