Changing time zones

I'm having some more confusion about my flight to Singapore next week.
I'm going to take off on 3/20 midnight CA time and land at 3/21 noon in Singapore. It will take me 21 hours to get there. MM had no advice for me re the time/date change and my pump. I am overwhelmed thinking about my 5 basal rates and my 3 insulin/carb ratios. Has anyone had this experience? I really need help!
Thanks, Cindy

I flew New Zealand, to Singapore and on to Korea last year, then 3 days n Korea, Singapore for 5 days then back to NZ. I got on the plane just after lunch NZ time when I left, and changed my pump to 'local time" (Singaore time, as I had a 6hr stop over) when the bought round dinner. My aim was to get off the plane in Singapore with my insulin on local time, as Korea was only a few hours different. You want to land with the basal rate and I;C rate current ffor the local time, have the relevant meal for that time when appropriate, and then sleep at the appropriate time for the local time. You will need to test lots, and possibly correct, but it's not to tough.
I found the big thing was to get the body onto local time as fast as possible. So I arrived in Korea at 8 am in the morning dropped my bags at my hotel, and went walking round Seoul for the day.

Thanks, Dee! You've been thru it all! So you recommend changing the date/time on the pump and not changing any of the settings. It sounds like I can weather the changes by being vigilant about my testing.
BTW, did you turn off your radio frequency meter-to-pump option in the air like they suggest?

Changing time zones and the corresponding jet lag can be difficult to manage. In the simplest method, you can just change the time on your pump when you get to your destination (see this advice from Diabetes Care).

However it may actually take you several days to adjust to the new time zone and your pump settings are arranged to fit your overall circadian rhythms. For time changes over three hours, it may help you adjust by making the time changes in stages, 2-3 hours of change per day to correspond to how your sleep schedule adjusts (thanks to fellow member Elizabeth Snouffer for this suggestion)

Mine is blue tooth - the RF pumps tend to get a lot of interference issues out side of the US. As it is short distance only I left it on - I wasn't sitting near the back or front of the plane.

I was travelling for work - so I needed to hit the ground running - I had a Sunday in Korea, then meetings monday, tuesday, back to singapore (arrived at 1am) and into a training program on the wednesday am at 8am local. That was why I just pushed the change in time, and didn't mess with aanything else. YOu shouldn't need to change any of the basal rates, just change the time so that it is appropriate to what you are doing.
eg, if you are eating breakfast and heading out to do something, you want you morning basal going, rather than your night time.
As I was going to be following that srt of routine - no matter what my bosy thought, I just went with it. Tested a fair bit, but no big issues.

I haven't had that experience, and haven't changed > 2 time zones since I was in high school but I always put it in the new time zone before I leave and just bring lots of test strips (duh...) and junk food on the airplane and keep an eye on it. I like travelling and am jealous you are off to Singapore!

I traveled from eastern daylight to Honalulu and was never so dioriented, I left my watch with the home time and changed my pump to the time where I was located.It took about 36 hours to adjust, I talked with an Indy car diabetic driver and he has no problems with time zone changes, he uses shots though... Plan ahead, carry plenty of supplies and always have food with you... Enjoy the trip, Singapore wow,I'm jealous...

Oh, and make sure you have the time to go to Marina Sands observation deck and the zoo (both day and night) and the bird park - all are great. Marina Sands is pretty trippy looking as you drive into the city from the airport.

I have , since pumping, been across quite a few time zones ( some 2 ,most a few more ) , just back from Hawaii and off to the Netherlands in April ...I recall how much work was involved , while on MDI( NPH etc ) , yet then Endo always helped me with guidelines . What I have been doing for the past 10 plus years and it seemed to have worked so far : as I go through the time zone(s )I set my pump's clock ( basal /carb ratio etc. is taken care off by setting the pump time ) , it does mean not much sleep , but neither did I sleep prior to diabetes and flying ( 1983 ) ...by the time I reach Amsterdam it's 9 hours later .I try to stay awake and make it an early evening .Lots of poking during the flight and be not intimidated if crew tells you to turn your lights off if you have " business to attend to" ! Apparently air pressure may alter one's pump's insulin delivery...so checking delivery is utmost important ( finger pokes ) .I read once , to disconnect the tubing from pump while going up , however I have never done this .
I turn my GCMS off and on during the same time passengers are requested to turn off /on other gadgets .Have read on MM's website to disconnect during the flight ...to me this does NOT make sense , especially if I travel by myself . I always set my pump on temp. basal during travel ( 165 percent seems to work most of the time for me ).One has to stop the temp basal , if one changes the clock's time and re-start .
Hope I am not giving you ( and myself ) false advise .
We visited Bali in 2001 with a couple of days in Singapore ... Great Place , great for walking .And I did NOT drink a Singapore Sling , while visiting Raffles Hotel , besides too sweet also pricey , ha, ha .Happy travels

PS Bringing the Pump's User Guide in your hand luggage maybe helpful ?

I can always count on you Peeps!
I am printing your replies to be sure I'll go over them again while packing. How very helpful you all are. You covered things I didn't even think about! Just know that you have all contributed to me being able to relax and just enjoy my three week adventure... relaxing of course just short of reminding myself to test twice as often!

I'm joining my son and family who live in Singapore. You don't have to worry about me because Mark is T1 too. But he doesn't wear a pump so I needed Tud input for sure. Any bets on how soon he'll be sporting a pump after checking out mine?!