Chronic Flu?

Flu season caught up with us and this year it came “with a vengeance”. Like Karen was telling me on Twitter the other day, influenza is awful this year. Santiago (my son) has had it for a week now, Andreina has been fighting it off for a few days but today she woke up feeling terrible and I have been on-and-off sick for several days too. I won’t even tell you how my numbers have been because you can imagine.

The frustrating part about these things is that you really have no option but to let the body fight it off: we took Santiago to the doctor again yesterday and she confirmed that it was a virus not an infection. But after more than three days (which used to be the number of days doctors told you to wait for the bug to go away) it is starting to feel like a chronic flu… well, maybe not, but it does wear you out a bit.

Anyway, just thought I’d share with the community… back to our coughing concert! :expressionless:

I hope you all feel better soon! If I lived in the area I would make soup and leave it on the porch…hahaha don’t want to catch what you have…Give the Family BIG HUGS!!!

Cherise

I so know what you are saying. I have been sick on and off for almost 3 months because everyone else has work or college and guess what they see everyone there and come home. :stuck_out_tongue: my Doc even joked i should move out until the end of March. I have been on home lock down since late November and have to wear a mask in any closed air place I must go to, boy you should see my roots (hair) hehe. I do hope you feel better honestly I tease but I do care.
Be well and be loved

Hi Manny,
I am, so sorry you are all so sick. I understand very well how it is to have no strength to get up and do anything. I wish I was closer to you all. I would be there in a heartbeat. Even the small things like a cool drink or a hot cup of soup or a warm wet cloth to wipe your face. I have even been very grateful for an arm around me just to even get to the bathroom. It no longer matters who it is when you are so sick. Just getting there is all that counts. I wish so much there was something I could do. Please know that i am with you. This is one of those times when the kindest things would be the little things. I am sending all my strength and love and warmest wishes for a speedy recovery for all three of you. Please be well soon.

I understand and sympathize…glad I got my flu shot–but unfortunately its not the only virus out there–and sick peeps just keep coming to work–I am in a constant stuggle to keep frommgetting sick

Manny:

So sorry to hear about your family being sick. I’m soooooo lucky! I get a flu shot every year (my DR demands it and will pursue me until I do) and chalk the rest of it off to being retired and a hermit. When I was working I would be sick a LOT! I’d hold on to it for at least 6 weeks, shake it, and then get sick AGAIN and AGAIN. If I wasn’t sick, it was the students coughing all over me; if it wasn’t them, it was the professors; if not the professors, the co-workers!!! Anyone with school-age children (including college) is an open door to illness.

I feel so in-tuned to what you are going through and pray that you can eliminate the threat soon. Do you have plenty of Lysol or some other germicide to spray knobs, phones, common surfaces, etc.? In other words, just about everything!!

Keep safe.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

P.S. I was going to ask for more 4x6 cards since all the ones at the DRs office are magically gone(!!!) but I can’t find that darn site again. Can you help me out?

9541 W. Oklahoma Ave. #105
Milwaukee, WI 53227

Get well soon.Rest and plenty of hot soup,fresh oranges are the cure.

Manny…sorry you are all under the weather. I remember you went through this a year or so ago, when you lived in FL still. It’s hard keeping away from bugs when you have a school aged child around.

Hope you and your darling family are feeling well soon.

Me and my family are right there with you. My 5 year old was the first to get it 2 weeks ago. Then it went like wildire. My 2 year old than the 4 month baby. That is whe it scars you.I thought I was in the clear until last weekend I had a fever that lasted 4 days. I have been down for a week now and still can;t seem to get back to my normal self. The coughing concert is right. I hope your family heals quickly and you get back into the groove. Cheers

Sending healing energy for you all. Wish I could send you my grandma’s garlic chicken soup. Scares off all bacteria, viruses & vampires! Also keeps the neighbors away. Between that & her fresh grated ginger tea, germs didn’t have a chance.

Feel better soon!

Scientists pinpoint antibodies that may afford protection against many influenza strains.
NBC Nightly News (2/22, story 5, 2:40, Holt) reported, “The yearly ritual of Americans lining up each fall for flu shots that may or may not defeat whatever bug that’s out there, could become a thing of the past, if some breakthrough research…pans out.”

The New York Times (2/23, A12, McNeil) reports, “In a discovery that could radically change how the world fights influenza, researchers have” newly identified “antibodies that protect against many strains of the virus, including even the…H5N1 bird flu.” The breakthrough “could lead to the development of a flu vaccine that would not have to be changed yearly.” It has even caught the attention of Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., “the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases,” who says that although the work is “not yet at the point of practicality,” it “is so promising that” he “will offer the researchers grants and access to its ferrets, which can catch human flu.”

The study is generating interest, because “public-health officials have long warned that there’s no magic bullet to stop another influenza pandemic like the one in 1918 that killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide,” Mary Engel wrote in the Los Angeles Times (2/22) Booster Shorts blog. “Interest in producing such disease-fighters in the laboratory has waxed and waned since the 1970s.” Even though the “first therapeutic monoclonal antibody was approved for humans in 1986,” only 20, since then, have received “US Food and Drug Administration approval, mostly to treat types of cancer or immunological disorders.”

“Normally, flu vaccines are specific to only one strain of virus at a time,” Bloomberg News (2/23, Lopatto) points out. But, team member Wayne Marasco, M.D., Ph.D., of Harvard Medical School, said his group, comprised of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Burnham Institute for Medical Research, “are all feeling confident that we have opened another avenue of research.” The research was published online Feb. 22 in Nature Structural and Molecular Biology.

The Boston Globe (2/23, Smith), the Canadian Press (2/23), WebMD (2/22, DeNoon), HealthDay (2/22, Reinberg), the Boston Globe (2/22, Smith) White Coat Notes blog, CNN (2/22, Park), NPR (2/23, Silberner), AFP (2/23), the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (2/23), and the UK’s Press Association (2/23), Telegraph (2/23, Leach), Independent (2/23, Laurance), and Daily Mail (2/22, Derbyshire) all covered the story.

Experts contend public health plans designed to control influenza outbreaks may be flawed. MedWire (2/23, Gray) reports, “The effect of pre- or asymptomatic influenza transmission may have been overestimated in studies looking at pandemic planning, according to a viewpoint article published in the journal Public Health Reports.” Before drawing that conclusion, authors Eleni Patrozou and Leonard Mermel of Brown University “conducted a systematic review of studies that investigated the relationship between viral shedding and disease transmission.” They explained that “public health plans designed to control outbreaks of influenza involve isolating symptomatic patients and quarantining their contacts.” Yet, success in detecting disease symptoms early is often “limited by transmission occurring before the onset of symptoms, transmission from asymptomatic infection, and the ‘inherent transmissibility’ of an infectious agent.” So, “in order for infection control models to be effective, a better understanding of transmission is required,” the pair said.

From The Endocrine Society
ESAP-ITE®

This spring, clinical endocrine fellowship programs will be able to assess their fellows’ level of competence and their program’s progress in training fellows via the new Endocrine Self-Assessment Program-In-Training Examination® (ESAP-ITE®). Modeled after the American Board of Internal Medicine’s certification examination, ESAP-ITE® will cover the spectrum of knowledge in clinical endocrinology, serving as a self-assessment tool for identifying areas of current mastery, as well as areas needing educational emphasis.

The exam is available from April 1 - April 30, 2009. Program directors must register their fellows by March 1, 2009. Visit the Society’s website at http://r.listpilot.net/c/endocrine/3ev5fs0/1odd0 for more information.

Hi Manny,
I am just checking in to see how things are going. How are you all feeling today? I pray that each day finds you better. Have you been able to get any rest? I am with you all. Please know how much you are each loved and how much we want you all to be feeling better soon. If there is anything you want done or anyway I can help, you have only to ask. My very best to each of you.