CIRCUITRY problem?

I understand that an Omnipod rep said that the reason people are experiencing post pod change highs was a circuitry problem that has been corrected-& that the next shipment of pods will contain the corrected pods.
Interesting!

circuitry?? interesting i wont bet on that someone here really explained it well in regards to priming the pump and it being worse of a problem with children i'm not all that science technical but it sounded good i wish i could remember the source. we just bolus after a change with no problems but we will have to be careful with the new ones that we dont overdue the post pod change bolus. thanks for sharing! amy

yeah I'm not really sure what you mean by circuitry?

Can you explain it in any further detail? About what they "fixed"? And b/c of the FDA, I don't believe the pumping industry really just "changes" things on the fly w/o a bunch of red tape...so not sure what they would have changed w/o having to re-submit to the FDA?

In any case, any other info you have is appreciated!

And like Jacob's mom said, most of us that have experienced the post-pod change highs will just push a little bolus right after putting a new pod on (almost like "kick starting" the new site so the body says "oh, okay that's where the insulin is coming from now. K!"). If they indeed changed something it would be beneficial to know in advance so we don't have sleus of hypos all over the place! :)

I always wondered that it had more to do with the priming. I'm assuming that there is always some insulin in the canula, except in the beginning with a pod change because the insulin has yet to pass through the new canula. So when you give yourself that booster bolus you are merely self priming the canula, instead of waiting for your basal to catch up and fill it. If my assumption is correct, then maybe that circuitry fix is to fill the canula so you don't have to.

That seems very surprising to me, but it *is* possible because I was having problems, however I haven't see a single post-change high with my new batch of pods (which I've been using for a month now.)

I had assumed that because it was summer I was simply seeing what I always experienced with MDI - insulin rate takeup with MDI was always *much* faster for me in summer because my skin is much warmer. In the past MDI was pretty hit-or-miss in winter for me.

John Bowler jbowler,acm.org

His statement seemed a bit of a stretch or over-generalization. None-the-less, they've got it fixed now. I guess I've been fortunate to not have seen this issue.

I wish I had more info, but I do not. I'm pretty much quoting verbatim what I was told by the medical provider who talked with the rep. I assumed circuity meant that there were bugs in the manufacture process that had been changed in some way.
Certainly, many questions come to mind such as the excellent ones you bring up. I'd love to know more.

My endo told me that he thought the Onmipod was self-priming. Is that correct?

Yes, but there has been much debate (there are at least two or three threads on the forum) that the priming can be less effective if there is significant air injected into the pod. Various people (including me) have taken apart pods and been able to see the air bubble, and various approaches have been suggested to eliminate air bubble. Nothing actually worked for me; I tried all these things before the new batch of pods and only realized I'd seen no problem recently a week or so ago.

I just popped the top off one of the new pods and I noticed that, while there is still an air bubble, the seal has been changed. It's now apparently glued, the pod is a lot harder to open and it's air-tight (I could here the air inrush when I broke the seal.) I wouldn't call that circuitry, but maybe something was lost in translation.

John Bowler jbowler,acm.org

yes it is self priming, but prior to placement. The canula I don't think is primed because it is not inserted until after. I believe some sort of needle pushes it into your skin, then retracts. Something I've wondered is when you see droplets of insulin sometimes thru the viewing window. That could be a sign that it didn't insert. But for me, I often see them, but it is still inserted correctly. Maybe the insertion process sometimes allows some insulin to splash out.

When you have to tell it "go" once it's stuck to your skin, and it auto inserts, it keeps clicking...that's the canula being primed. So theoretically (just like w/ other tubed pumps) once you have finished the insertion/priming process, there is insulin at the tip of the canula, and so each basal or bolus push from that point forward should be delivered into you. So yes, it's priming all of the canula. Especially w/ the automated priming process w/ the pod, there should be no lag between basal amounts (or boluses) given.

You see insulin in the window because when you fill the reservoir with insulin if you watch the "cap", you can see the insulin flow through there and into the rest of the tubing (there's tubing inside the pump that's something like 13 or 16 mm long--I can't recall the exact amount...but there's a tube between the canula and the reservoir. It auto primes that as part of the reservoir filling process). When you remove that safety cap before pulling off the adhesive covers and applying it to your skin, you'll notice that there's insulin in the window--this is leftover from the filling process.

I (and others on here) often use a Q tip to clean most of that out, so once it's on my body if I see large amounts of fluid I know it's insulin (I am very active so there's a different type of condensation I see sometimes too, but the excess insulin sticks to the window differently and lets me know there's a potential problem w/ the pod). I know this method using the Q tip has the capability to contaminate the sterility of the needle and canula, so care should be taken, should you decide to try something like that on your own. So seeing extra insulin in the window could be indicative of a pod issue, but definitely does not guarantee that there's an issue (which is why I clean out the window so there's better accuracy to that statement).

Ultimately, yes annecy, the omnipod is self priming. It clicks before putting it on your body, and then it primes the canula once you have placed it on your body as part insertion process (right after the canula inserts and needle retracts and right before you see the "did the canula insert successfully" question).