Clueless familliy

When I first stopped eating sugar (for other reasons) I went to a dinner at a good friend’s house. She is famous for her excellent dessert confections which everyone oohs and ahs about. When dessert time came she made me a cappuchino which she knows I love and a small cheese plate. I was so touched.

On the other hand, recently my family was planning a get together at a good Italian restaurant in Berkeley. My nephew, knowing I’m a vegetarian, e-mailed me “They have excellent pizza there that you can eat, Zoe.” PIZZA??? I guess I used up my quote of dietary diversions with no sugar and vegetarianism!

What a great friend!

Your post reminds me of my many decades as a vegetarian before diabetes. Even though everyone knew, I’d get comments like, you can eat the soup it has no meat. It’s “only” made with chicken broth. Or like the dessert tempters, it’s Thanksgiving so a just a little turkey won’t hurt. Hard for some people to accept others eating different from the mainstream & that it’s a choice, not a deprivation. Same thing for me now eating low carb regarding the comments & looks.

I don’t mind if people ask me that question. What I don’t like is if they persist after I have said no.

I don’t see a problem with asking . It should always be our choice . I rather be asked and say no thanks than to have someone else to decide what I shoud have or have not. We want to be treated like everyone else and that’s what you ask everyone else ;"Would you like a psome cake. . And how hard is it to say no thanks? I would be more angry if she asked others and not me. I don’t want others to assume for me!

What might help is for you to make informaion available for your family and if they’re interested they’ll bone up on what D is…if not it’s they’re loss.

Hopefully you don’t belong to an Italian family, lol!

Like Stuart said just say NO Thank you and mean it. You want a totally clueless family? I give you my dad and his new wife. (My mom died 7 years before and he got remarried) I go to his house for Christmas right? I told both of them b/f to please buy a diet coke or please make tea with no sugar in it. OK think I got it covered. When me and my Type 1 daughter (just like her mom) get down there they have “real” coke pepsie and such I think Ok the tea won’t have sugar in it. YES IT DOES! So we drink water and leave the WHOLE TABLE of pies and cakes alone.

TOO TRUE!!

”Slightly worse, is showing up to an event (family, corporate, school, whatever) and the only drinks are non-diet colas. Or fruit juices. The only food is cake or pastries.”

My T1 aunt hosted a baby shower for her daughter-in-law and did not have anything but fruit punch to drink. The pregnant woman’s mother heard me asking about diet soda or water and she ran out to get me something to drink.

Been to many events like this. I take my bottle everywhere because I’ve been captive without anything to drink.

I live in the center of little Italy. Hows that to work with?

I couldn’t handle that!

Im looking at a Thanksgiving at my sister in laws house exactly like this. Shes a health nut, but carbs are a large part of her diet. Quinoa, beans, lots of fruit, and more random grains will be the staple. Im thinking Im going to sneak a nice fat turkey leg in there.

Well I guess its a good thing that as a kid I ate pasta 2-3 times a week. I despise it now… Its like bagels, the equivalent of 4 slices of bread! =^)

For me, I cannot expect everyone to keep my needs and dietary requirements in mind, so I dont. Life is too busy. It would be nice of them to check, but I dont expect it. I like being pleasantly suprised.

If my less thoughtful SIL offers cake or cookies, I politely say “no thank you.” That does a lot less damage than either telling her off for being inconsiderate or eating the cake/cookie. Also, I think its polite of them to offer. Hell, my folks still make me offers on food I cant eat and its been 25 years with D.

Whats most funny is that Dannyboy the OP, hasnt made a comment on the whole discussion!

I don’t expect other’s to concider me but my dad? He knew for 37 years what I could have and what I couldn’t but when he married her it was TOTALLY like I didn’t exist. He took on her family as his own forgetting about me or my girls and his great great grandchildern. It just HURT so bad. That wasn’t the only thing he done but it HURT the worst.

I agree with you Doris. I don’t expect anyone to worry about what I can or can’t eat. But when your immediate family knows what you can & can’t eat and then they don’t bother to even have something you can drink, that is not right.

Im sorry to hear Doris. Thats pretty s****y. Im amazed sometimes at how easily family members iwll cut other members off. I hope he one day realizes how great you and all your offspring are and what they should mean to him. In the end, know, its his loss.

THANK YOU KELLY! I don’t want any symopany from and one but this was one thing I couldn’t get over. His granddaughter is a Type 1 like her mom. Just a little conceredation for the 2 of us is all I asked for but he put her family first and acted like he never had any!

Doh!