Coffee Drinkers, where are you?

On work days when time is of the essence - Per Dr. B’s recommendation to limit milk, but if we have to hae the milk, then use heavy cream and dilute it…well …I drink heavy cream diluted with water, and add a stick of instant Tasters choice (sooo delivious), then fly off to work. Try to limit cup to 1.25 a day, as it gets me too wired after 12 noon.

On days off, I use the tiny espresso maker by IMUSA (you can get at walmart, K-mart like $15.00 bucks or so) and use my favorite flavored coffee - and then add about a 1/2 cup of cream to half and half. (yes it does spike my blood sugar obscenely - 126 or so - but I can’t give it up!). Coffee is my vice of choice.

Ok so this topic is 8 years old but I see a lot of coffee lovers here. I have quit coffee for 5 days and it’s REALLY hard. My blood sugars are dramatically better but I’m feigning for it. I’m also being mean to co-workers someone please help. :rofl:

I often say coffee is the only vice I have left.

I have quit on occasions in the past.
Aspirin helps to deal with the caffeine headaches.
For me, it took about three weeks to get over the physical aspects of no coffee.

I am back on the coffee now.

Why did you give it up (or did you give up sugary coffe house drinks)?

I drink coffee daily with some cream.

I have given up coffee slowly, I still have 2 cups a day and really enjoy them, but do not need any more. Sometimes drinking only half a cup will satisfy. Mind giving up hot drinks in summer is much easier than in winter, cold water does not do much for you when it is cold! Bouillon makes a good hot drink if you want to warm up.

I drink 2-3 cups every morning black

I have been a pretty heavy coffee drinker before and after diagnoses.
I drink straight black coffee though.
No affects on BG.
I typically give my body a reset every 2 to 3 years. I will quit drinking it for 2 to 6 weeks. I then start back slowly.
If I was super heavy into it before quiting, the physical repercussions can be rough for a couple weeks.

I will substitute tea or broth, but nothing beats coffee!!!

Mmmmm…coffee.

I’m a three cup a day girl. One on the commute to work, one when I eat breakfast at my desk around 10am and another in the afternoon around 4pm.

i drink coffee…well lattes and machiattos. those are my favorite. i drink coffee at least once or twice a week as i cant get to the store to get some. so when i do get some i drink a few a week.

i have to be careful with the coffee as i like whole milk in it or half and half. so i have to calculate the carbs for that so i can drink it without a spike. so calculating the carbs that you put in it and that includes sugar. i always go over a bit with the carb limit just in case. but thats what i do. carb carb carb

I’m trying to stay busy and that’s helped me today, this is day 7. :rofl::smiley:

I’ve been making a low carb hot chocolate with Hershey’s dark chocolate unsweetened powder and almond milk.

Coffee doesn’t affect my sugar level one bit, so I guess that I’m fortunate. One coffee black, with perhaps 3Xweek skim cappuccino mid-afternoon, no froo froo additions.

I think I’d die without at least one cup of coffee a day. I’ve had it every morning since I was 15. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Recently I don’t start my day without an extra-large black coffee (24 fl oz) to which I add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream (35%+ Milk Fat, referred to as “whipping cream” in Canada). 100 calories, 0 carbs, 0.6 grams protein, 10 grams fat.

This doesn’t budge my BS, as expected. :+1:t3:

Wow i would not think that coffee would create a monster post. )))
The truth is my siblings and I ( four total) grew up in a coffee drinking house, morning was the smell of brewing coffee. Loved the smell.
But none of us four drink coffee.
I think i have had three cups of coffee period, when I go to Starbucks I order ice tea. I am glad you all enjoy it though, but a non starter for me.

I drink coffee most all day, but Drink it black and strong. All ways have and don’t really see much of a spike from it.

You are doing a good but difficult thing. I did it in the past because I was tired of waking up with terrible headaches that wouldn’t go away until I had some coffee. I would add hot water to my coffee, gradually increasing the ratio of water to coffee over time.

I now drink caffeine-free tea for my hot beverage comfort, and cold ice tea in the warmer weather. There are so many flavours out there to choose from. I like David’s Tea and most give the carb counts.

Good luck to you!

I’ve drank it in small amounts since I was 6. What I’ve found that really helps with the spikes and cravings is black tea. When I would drink coffee I loved it black so since the black tea has higher levels of caffeine it’s really helped me. Like I said I don’t get spikes anymore which is great so I’m getting used to not having it. Feeling good to me is way better than the addiction.

A nurse told me once to not drink coffee before I come into the doctors to visit. She said it constricts the blood flow and makes drawing blood more difficult. I do drink at least four cups a day though.

I see this topic is several years old but glad it came up again.

Coffee makes me spike 70 to 100 points or more. I asked my doc about it and he said, coffee can make you go up 15 points. I said, I could handle 15 points but I am spiking 100 points. He suggested I change to decaf. I tried that with NO change. Still spiked 100 points.

I really don’t want to give up coffee. Any ideas from others? Seems my only option is to use insulin with coffee. Not liking that idea of sticking myself more than I already do.

I don’t want to go on a pump just so I can bolus for coffee. Mealtime injections are fine but I don’t want to inject all day long.