Coffee spiking

I still think it has something to do with DP. I can drink the same coffee in the afternoon with no change in my bg. When I make that cup in the morning, I have to bolus for 10g of CHO. One of the awesome wonders of D.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Yep, this ALWAYS spikes my BS. Doc’s assistant told me ‘your body thinks it’s sugar. It doesn’t know the difference between real & artificial sweeteners’. Did contact Splenda Corp. sent back a large speel about how many carbs are in diff. amts. of splenda. NO KIDDING! I don’t use a half cup splenda in my cup of coffee! So, take it for what it’s worth. The caffeine doesn’t really seem to affect my BS–until I decide I want some diet mt. dew!
My Endo. recommended I take 1 unit apidra for a cup of coffee. THAT drops me too fast! So, I try to adjust accordingly, but still a work in progress.
Have only been on a pump 2 1/2 months. Have been Type I for >50 years. REALLY like NO injections though! Just, cannot continue with the CGM since medicare doesn’t cover them! CGM at the very least ALARMS when I’m going up or down with the BS. Pump does NOT–as we all know.
Not always easy to count the carbs & pump or inject adequately. MANY things in life affects our BS levels.
NEVER HURTS to PRAY!!! I pray (and always have!) all the time. No, not always a formed Prayer, simply speaking to the LORD in my thoughts continuously.
GOD bless us everyone!

I stopped drinking coffee for this reason. It’s the caffeine.

1 Like

whats strange though, is that if i have a diet soda (D. Pepsie, for instance) my BGs remain the same. how much caffein is in coffee compared to the soda?

Doesn’t coffee trigger an adrenaline release? So, wouldn’t the adrenaline be what’s causing the high BGs? I may be totally wrong, though.

is there something in particular about the coffee itself, asides from the caffein that is responsible for the BG rise? i still don’t get the caffein factor if i can “get away” w/ a lg. diet pepsi w/out any BG spikes.

Not sure if it’s coffee or just the Morning effect. The few seldom times I have gone without coffee, it appeared that Morning rise was less severe. I typically drink an entire pot of coffee from wake to shortly after lunch. I add 1 tsp Stevia and about 1/2 oz milk + a squirt of honey if I have some.
Next time my 2# can of coffee runs out, think I should wait a few days before replenishing to see if any noticeable effects and then start off with a few days of Black only, hoping I can survive the testing period.

1 Like

the funny thing is that i don’t even enjoy drinking coffee. i only drink it to help me wake up in the am. i don’t drink it on the w/ends unless i need to be somewhere any time before lunch.

I might not be the best one to ask since I don’t pump and coffee doesn’t spike me at all, but in general I think you have the right idea that if any certain thing, like coffee in this case, is consistently and repeatably causing a spike, gradually increasing the amount of bolus you take to cover it might be something to try— or just don’t drink coffee— sounds like those are the two options you have to avoid these spikes

Diet soda doesn’t have any impact on my BG, either. But oh does the coffee! And it doesn’t matter how I drink it, black, hot, cold, with sweetener, without sweetener, with cream, without cream. No matter how I drink it, coffee always spikes my BG. I think it has a much more concentrated amount of caffeine than soda, but don’t quote me on that.

Also, I was told by someone I trusted (can’t remember who, a doctor/dietitian maybe?) that it is the caffeine causing an adrenaline rush that causes the liver to dump glucose… or something like that. But I really haven’t studied up on it.

3 Likes

I know that coffee, regardless of decaf or not, with milk or without causes a peristaltic response in the body in some people (i.e. - it can make you need the bathroom) - maybe that burst of activity is somehow related?
I once had a normal coffee on a plane as they only had coffee, juice or water, and i spiked up to over 250 about an hour later. I was stunned - it certainly made baggage collection uncomfortable!

It’s hard to observe the effect from coffee. I drink decaf only now and there’s no effect. I think. Usually. Maybe the desire to drink coffee occurs when blood sugar is going up.

Forgive speech to error I read about a trial of a diabetic his defense 4 being lo Dr hurting others was 4 driving p put sugar in coffee drank. I recognize that would never cure A lo blood sugar

i have travelled by plane before, and it ALWAYS has messed up my pump/insulin resistance. even after i land, it takes me a day or even two to get back to my regular Bgs. i doubt (but i could def be wrong) that the coffee you had on the plane was souly responsible for your spike. have you ever traveled before w/out having coffee on the plane? maybe nxt time you can experiment and see what happens.

good luck!

aaron, interesting concept. however, if i forgo the coffee and just have y eggs for b’fast, my bgs stay steady. hummmm. something to think about.

Could well be - i have always had trouble with high bg on flights - except for when i bring my own food (and avoid the coffee). Worst one was flying to Cape Town in South Africa, when i spend almost the whole flight shooting corrections and doing weird calisthenic exercises in the kitchen area… :smiley:

Y eat just eggs for b fast. Never tried that. How do you prepare them? When I eat at Dennys I always asked for scrambled. But I was experimenting to figure out how to eat pancakes. A 20 unit dose worked. Glad you found a breakfast that keeps by level. But adding coffee to it wrecks it. And no sweetener?

i give myself a bolus to cover 10 grams of carbs for my morning b’fast of eggs. (it doesn’t seem to matter whether i have 2 or 3 eggs. (i always buy the JUMBO sized ones)

just yesterday, i did an experiment: instead of having the coffee w/ my eggs, i had the eggs alone, then i waited until noon to have my coffee. usually, in the early am, i need to bolus for 20gms for the coffee which almost covers a bad spike. well, yesterday, i bloused for the same amount of carbs, and instead of spiking, i went low. go figure. today, i am experimenting; i am having the afternoon cup of coffee w/ less of a bolus to see what happens. i am home all day, so i am not as anxious about the consequences as far as potential correcting anything crazy. and BTW, i use copious amounts of half and half and 6 splendas. i know that probably sounds sick to you, but to each his/her own. i’ll stay in touch on this one.

my fasting BGs this morning were 122. i had some eggs and a cup of coffee. i cover the C as 20 gms, the eggs 10gms.

w/in one hour, i went from the 122 to just over 180. it is almost 3 1/2 hours later and i have continued to stay in the 180’s. i did a correction bolus, so we’ll see what happens.

was at my endo yesterday. my A1c was 6.4 so i am not freaking out about the “bad” BG.
i don’t usually stay this high after my spike. i usually, very gradually come back down w/in a more “normal” range. humm. maybe anxiety this morning. could be any factors of things.

i am going to have an afternoon cup of C and see what my reaction to that will be. very curious. as i said before, diet sodas do NOT cause any spikes at all.

That is bizarre… That’s essentially zero carbs and a lot of insulin and still a big spike. Makes me wonder what would have happened if you ate nothing at all and took no bolus.