Complications at low-normal A1cs?

So sorry to hear about complications creepy into your life. I think my biggest frustration with diabetes is how unfair it can be sometimes. You can be meticulous with your management and still have complications. Or you can have blood sugars all over the place and have no complications. I was one of the all over the place for the first 20years or so andworried daily about complications. As more and more tools came on board and my management got better, the blood sugars got better. I have been very lucky with no complications after 47 years, but that can change at any point. My feeling is just another thing I have to deal with. Like the diabetes, I will deal with and keep moving forward.
Again, so sorry about this but I know you will find a way to deal with it as you have dealt with everything else so far. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks Sally! As others have pointed out, it may not be diabetes-related at all. My diabetes diagnosis was somewhat out of the blue and sudden-onset, but I’d been having neuropathy in one of my feet for about six months before I was diagnosed, and some other symptoms as well. I got my BGs under “strict” control within about two months of diagnosis and the neuropathy disappeared about the same time. So I just assumed that it was diabetes related, which did indeed seem unfair :smile:

In addition to talking to my family doctor, I’ll see if I can’t track down some other likely causes… I have a personal and family history of other autoimmune disorders, so it doesn’t seem super weird that I might be suffering from B-vitamin deficiencies or just random nerve damage. It is strange (and definitely feels a bit unfair) to go from super-healthy to having all sorts of health issues in the space of three year’s time. I always kind of assumed (stupidly), that health issues were OPP. Hadn’t been to a doctor in ten or fifteen years before diagnosis…

1 Like

This article suggests there is no link between complications and glucose variability, though other articles still take a different view, so it is best to assume that the issue remains undecided. The majority of recent studies seem to be pointing to a developing consensus that glucose variability does not increase complications, however:

J UOEH. 2018;40(1):11-18. doi: 10.7888/juoeh.40.11.
Association Between Diabetic Microangiopathies and Glycemic Variability Assessed by Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
Sonoda S1, Okada Y1, Mori H1, Uemura F1, Sugai K1, Hajime M1, Tanaka K1, Kurozumi A1, Narisawa M1, Torimoto K1, Tanaka Y1.

Abstract
The aim of this retrospective study was to elucidate the association between glucose profile using the continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS) and microvascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). The subjects were 160 inpatients with T2DM. The mean blood glucose (MBG) level, percentage of time in a 24-hour period spent with blood glucose level higher than 180 mg/dl (time at >180 mg/dl), standard deviation (SD), and mean amplitude of glycemic excursions (MAGE) were measured continuously over 48 hours using the CGMS. The primary outcome was the association between microvascular complications and glycemic variability. The secondary outcome was the association between microangiopathies and MBG. The SD and MAGE were not associated with presence of microangiopathies or number of complications. There were also no associations between abnormal vibratory sensation in the bilateral lower extremities, coefficient of variation of the R-R interval (CVRR), retinopathy stage, nephropathy stage, or microalbuminuria. MBG was associated, however, with retinopathy, retinopathy stage, and number of complications. Time at >180 mg/dl correlated with abnormal vibratory sensation in the bilateral lower extremities and presence or stage of retinopathy. MBG and time at >180 mg/dl were not associated with presence or stage of nephropathy. Our findings suggest that broad glycemic variability was not associated with microvascular complications, the number of which increased in patients with a high mean glucose level and long time spent with hyperglycemia. It is important, therefore, to reduce the mean glucose level and time spent with hyperglycemia to prevent future microangiopathies.

Indigestion, heartburn and stomach “pinching” were my main symptoms. I assumed I had been exposed to gluten somehow and that my celiac disease was actively flaring. It was stomach biopsies that revealed the Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis. My small intestine has completely healed from celiac disease.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease five years ago (I had already been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis for 15 years). At the time of my celiac disease diagnosis, my only symptom was iron-deficiency anemia which doctors attributed to my sex, but it was really due to celiac disease.

If Neuropathy is diagnosed early you can take extra care of your feet to make sure nothing escalates. If you use a Diabetic Toes Test every month you will pick up any neuropathies as soon as they start

Suggest you follow the advice of a person on this site years ago who gave me the advice to use Rutin as a supplement as it strengthens the tiny arterioles in the eyes and everywhere. That means they will be less likely to pop. The cost is very low and I was getting about 90 capsules of 500 mg for about $9 and felt that was worth it and my eye doctor, the ophthalmologist, told me not to come back as he was tired of finding no problems for years. When I asked if he wanted to know what i was taking he told me he was not interested. So there you have the types of doctors who look after us, those who know nothing about nutrition. So you have google to look up the supplement and it’s benefits. Also when you peel any citrus fruit, why not just bite off and chew and eat the white pith as that has rutin in it…and eating it is more worthwhile than throwing it out. The inside white pith is safer than the outside which may be died and waxed to look better.

1 Like

I have been taking vitamins and other supplements to postpone or correct diabetic complications ever since 1975, and rutin has been one of them. Perhaps they have delayed or moderated the inevitable decline, but they have not prevented it. While rutin may strengthen the arteriole walls, apparently it cannot stop the damage from hyperglycemic memory, imprinted on the genes by 20 years of hyperglycemia during the period I was diabetic before there were home glucometers, from continuing today.