Continuous Blood Glucose Monitor-It's on

My doc didn’t quite believe my “normal” HbA1C results that I got back in April so now I have a continuous blood glucose monitor I’m wearing for the next three days. Just is a reminder that the health care system is suspicious of any good blood work that comes from diabetics who have been on low-carb diets. The diabetes educator gasped when I told her that I was eating 30-50g carb a day. “You NEED carbs for your brain to function!” was the answer. I replied with “But I’ve been on this diet for the last 7 months and I feel better than I have in my life, have been exercising 1 hour every other day…” etc. etc. Still, the reaction was disbelief and a tiny bit of judgement for not following the ADA “rules”. My reward? This monitor stuck in my belly that is starting to feel sore and possibly infected, for the purpose of making sure that my great HbA1C results aren’t because I’m getting too many hypos. COULDN’T just be that I’m getting these great lab results because of a low carb diet, now, could it??? (Thanks for listening to me vent, all.)

Absurd! What’s next–an ankle bracelet monitor to make sure you remain in the kitchen to eat:) Been down the brain starving road many times. My response, “Are you aware that about 58% percent of protein is converted to glucose? Do you know that other biochemical processes (cells dying, for example) also contribute glucose?” That tends to end the warnings & finger shaking.

That is fantastic you are doing the right diet yes, 30 gr a day is a great goal for me too, and I train at high intense rate 2hr per day, I have natural path that is a type 1, no need for the ADA doctors they just don’t get it. good job keep up on the BG testing and you will be fine.

Does this mean that you will take pictures and post over in the Flatliners Group?

I guess I could do that after I get the data back, but my monitor is “blind” so I can’t do it until then. So frustrating because I want to know what certain things are doing to my blood sugars as it’s happening!

High blood sugars caused by too many carbs was causing me mental acuity problems and low carb was the cure. If I was still folowing the ADA diet I’d still be spending good portions of my day in a fog. I guess it’s understandable your doc would doubt your stellar A1C if he is telling his patients to load up on carbs. Eating that many carbs the only path to your A1c would indeed be many dangerous hypos. But this is exactly what Dr. B says is possible, so far his advice has always been spot on for me.

Please let us know how this all plays out. I’m sure they will have another argument why it’s no good, perhaps you can advise them to go to the source. Dr B’s recommendations are based on science leavened with years of clinical experience, not some theories pulled out of thin air.

As long as they are going to make you wear the thing, the least they could do is give you one with a screen. Most people who wear one for even a short time say they learned a lot of useful info.

I know! It’s such a bummer that I can’t see what’s happening to my sugars! Thanks for all of your support, I’ll keep you posted!

That’s even more ridiculous & insulting.

Actually, I can understand the blind test. After all, we are affected by these things. If you know you are high or low, you may well change your behavior, taking a correction of treating a low. I think that you can certainly learn a lot as a patient, but I also realize that my doctors don’t trust me (heck, I bet some don’t like me either)

Everybody Lies” - Dr. Gregory House

Guess that makes sense from the doctor’s viewpoint & being tested like this would bother me. Anyone testing frequently would be correcting highs/lows & CGMs aren’t that accurate to begin with. How can it be calibrated without knowing what it’s showing?

I hear a lot of offices choose Dexcom for this very reason. The professional software can “blind” the Dexcom receiver so patients come in after 3 days and have it “unblinded” for the remainder of the 7 days so they can also get the benefit that CGMS provides for at least a few days.

Oh and also when is House EVER wrong? A man everyone should listen to :slight_smile:

I agree, I get that logic, that if I were able to see what every stinking thing was doing to my blood sugars that I would modify my behavior so that it really isn’t a good measure of my normal day. but with the annoyance of having to wear it, it’s already modifying my behavior (I usually work out for 1 hour a night on the stairmaster, but I tried it the other night and the weird bandaid plastic stuff covering it isn’t permeable so it got all bubbly and itchy and red, so I stopped). I want to go for a run today, but I don’t know how I would do it with this thing bouncing along. So, it’s already modifying my behaviors! Anyway, sigh, I’m excited to see the results even though I have to wait 2 weeks until I see the endo. I’m logging everything really carefully so that I can match it up with blood sugar changes.

Just went through the exact same thing. I guess they expect us to non compliant and generally ignorant about how to take care of ourselves. It is frustrating, we live with this 24/7 with the potential of real repercussions, doctors can go home at the end of the day and forget diabetes until the next day.

Continuous blood Glucose monitor ? well I just started using one my daughter stop using because they are not accurate. And I have found in the 4 days of using it its sometimes 20-30 mg high it is interesting the graph and tha’ts about it. I will test it this weekend on some long cycling rides to see the changes of BG, however the charting of what you eat and then test is the best way to know oneself. thanks for all the great input Bob

Wow! That is absurd! When I started low carbing the first time in 2000, I was living in a backwater town in alabama, which is not where the most learned doctors want to be, apparently. But I did manage to find an endo I could work with there. He actually turned out to be great. I saw him a couple of days after starting low carb and he freaked out and thought it was a terrible idea and then had me come back six weeks later for lab work, which of course all turned out great. He didn’t accuse me of any wrong-doing or hypo-hiding. lol And after a few months like that he was very supportive.