Cooking with Fats?

Eggs, sauces, some vegetables (cabbage), veggies I give a quick sautee after steaming, vegetables I braise. Oh & melting chocolate:)

I realize that this is an old thread…for the folks using ghee, are you still liking it? And while there is some concern about canola oil, what is the concern? I like to use high flame to seal in the flavor of the meat, so olive oil doesn’t work. I don’t like peanut oil. For those who stir fry, or like using the wok, would coconut oil or ghee do the trick? In one of the earlier posts, it was mentioned that canola oil is plant based, so is coconut oil, yes? are there concerns about coconut oil?

Thanks in advance for feedback and advice!

Canola oil is a Omega-6. There seems to be evidence that high levels of these oils are not good (Omega-3s are much better for us, as are monosaturated and healthy saturated). If you use high heat, neither olive or butter works. Ghee is better and withstands higher temperatures, but I have much better luck with coconut and avocado oil, both which handle high heat at least as well as canola.

Omega 6 and omega-3 are both monounsaturated fatty acids. TBH, the “advice” on dietary fats changes periodically and none of it seems to be strongly rooted in good peer-reviewed experimental evidence (e.g. butter, which was BAD and is now ?GOOD).

Canola (Rapeseed) oil and olive oil are both good sources of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Canola actually seems to contain one of the highest ratios of omega3: omega 6 of any plant oil - even higher than olive oil, which is supposedly the key feature of benefits of the mediterranean diet.

I cook routinely with both olive and rapeseed (Canola) oils. Both are good culinary oils - I have never had a problem with high temperatures and the French and Italians (with two of the world’s great cuisines) use it routinely for sealing/frying meat. You can now also get cold-pressed extra virgin rapeseed oil in the UK which is great for salad dressings and making mayonaise.

Joel

There are three classes of fat, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated. Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9 fats are polyunsaturated. Essentially, all the vegetable oils are primarily polyunsaturated Omega-6 or Omega 9 although some contain small amounts of Omega-3 (ALA). Canola contains essentially no Omega-3. A good sources of Omega-3 ALA is flaxseed oil. Olive oil is mostly monounsaturated.

Olive oil has a low smoke point (where it burns and turns toxic). Extra virgin is the worst and should be avoided for most cooking. Lite olive oil is ok for moderate cooking but still has a smoking point too low for browning or searing foods. That is just my opinion.

My mistake, omega 3 and 6 are polyunsaturated. However, several sites online put the Omega6:Omega 3 ratio of canola at around 2:1 which is actually quite a high amount of omega 3.

Olive oil is mostly unsaturated (oleic acid). The general recommendation is not to cook with extra virgin. However “regular” olive oil cooks nicely and I have never had a problem with burning. Maybe the oils are different in the USA. I tend to use Italian or other European oils. Arguably two of the world’s greatest cuisines (French and Italian) are heavily based on cooking with olive oil. Longevity figures in these countries are impressive.

How about almond oit? I just purchased ghee and avocado oil from the local health food store. Trader Joe carries coconut oil and I will pick some up after I consume the avocado oil.

Is ghee considered healthy saturated?

You are right, despite that I still go with coconut, avocado and olive oil for almost everything.

I’ve never cooked with almond oil. I consider the fats in ghee to be healthy but there still remains a lot of controversy. Most dieticians still advise avoiding saturated fats although the evidence these days seem clear. Transfats and partially hydrogenated fats are bad saturated fats, but naturally occurring saturated fats actually seem healthy.

Does ghee require refrigeration?

I just purchased my first container of ghee… whee…! The health food store kept the jar in the refrigerator section and it was hard, similar to butter!

Brian_BSC, flax seeds and hemp seeds contain both omega 3 and omega 6. Is the idea that better to bias towards food that have more 3’s?

I think I need a lesson on what’s considered healthy fat - a Fat 101! Would you care to enlighten me, us? I think that there may be others who can benefit from such information. The 101 of saturated, unsaturated, mono, polyunsaturated fats. Animal fats and animal fat products are saturated fats. , right? The medical community, the dietitians tell us to “avoid steaks, dark meat chicken; choose lean cuts…eggs, get low fat milk…”…"animal fat…bad"
I know that fats are necessary to feel satiated.

Thank you for your patience! I am trying to learn as much as I can from this wonderful community of people about what to eat and how to inject.

Herez a link for how to make your own home made ghee!!