Coping with the Fear and Anger

Unfortunately, I didn’t get a copy of the results. (I know. Shame on me.) I will get them when I go back in two weeks.

Yes, I have Hashimotos. I also have fibro, mitral valve regurgitation, recurrent shingles/PHN. Basically, my body is a non-stop party of dysfunction.

Having Hashimotos (or another thyroid condition) are characteristics of Type 1’s. Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder and many of us have more than one autoimmune condition. When I did my research first and went to an endo after I was sure I was LADA/type 1, I gave her a list of 5 things that led me to that conclusion: Low c-peptide (.38 and .70 - two different labs), lost 40 pounds around diagnosis, have Graves Disease (hyperthyroid), oral meds only worked for 15 months and was sensitive to insulin. She nodded and checked off each one.

I try to use it whenever possible! It hasn’t quite caught on yet?

Just FYI, Hashimoto’s is relatively common in the general population, especially women over 40, and also occurs frequently among Type 2’s. Lots of people have the genetics for auto-immunity without getting Type 1 – which is why the scientists think another trigger must be important. And also the reason why Type 1 seems to pop up out of nowhere in families that have no other cases of it.

I wasn’t suggesting that everyone with thyroid issues gets type 1 diabetes, Natalie, but just that it is very common that people with one autoimmune disorder have more than one.I only have anecdotal reports, but am very sure if we took a survey of type 1’s on here with thyroid disease, the percent would be much higher than in the general pop. The five things I listed that indicated to me (and the endo) that I was type 1 are, first of all my particular list. Also no one thing on that list by itself guarantees a type 1 diagnosis, but taken as a cluster are very common in LADA/type 1’s and regular type 1’s.

Hi Belgienne: It will be good to get a copy of your c-peptide and antibody results, and to discuss those with your new endo. I believe you said you are low c-peptide, and it is possible that you need exogenous insulin. For many people, it makes them/us feel better (I am not saying anything definite, just that you might consider discussing this with your endo). And feel better both physically but also emotionally. Then, I really think that we as a society do not allow enough room/time for grieving. The diabetes diagnosis is really a big deal. And we are here to support you!

Long ago, soon after my diagnosis of Type 1 autoimmune diabetes and Hashimoto’s (autoimmune hypothyroidism), I read the statistic that 80% of women over the age of 40 who have Type 1 diabetes also have Hashimoto’s. And we also know how incredibly common misdiagnosis is, so some of the “Type 2’s” who have Hashimoto’s may in fact have been misdiagnosed and have Type 1 diabetes.

Well, I had Hashimoto’s before my thyroidectomy (it was getting so large it was interfering with swallowing), and 2 CDE’s independently telling me I was a Type 1, one of whom cared for me in the hospital during and after my coma, and told me to tell any medical profession who dealt with me that I was a Type 1. HOWEVER, I do have mild insulin resistance, although I have never been obese. Having been diagnosed before the advent of common C-peptide or antibody testing, I don’t have any proof, and being diagnosed as an adult, never had the problems that children and their parents go through. So I guess I have a little bit of both, a little bit of neither. And am actually reluctant to classify myself at all.

Just curious, did the stat say specifically Hashimoto’s Melitta, rather than thyroid disease in general? I notice many people on here refer to having Hashimoto’s (hypothyroid) and not as many to Graves Disease (hyper thyroid) which is what I was diagnosed with originally.

MrAcidRock, you make me laugh and I admire your attitude!!!

Yes, it specifically said Hashimoto’s. But you certainly are not the only one here who has Type 1 and Grave’s, I think it is just less common.

Well, you do all the right things for yourself, and clearly have doctors who go along with your program, so no need to classify yourself!

Interesting. I guess that is a more common comorbidity than hyperthyroidism. I have always referred to mine in general as “hyperthyroidism” and only call it Graves Disease to doctors. It doesn’t matter much because my thyroid was destroyed with radiation and now I take thyroid replacement the same as someone who was hypothyroid. What is non-auto-immune thyroidism?

Edit: I just googled Graves Disease and it is an autoimmune disorder. I thought so but wanted to be sure. Also Graves disease is 90% of all hyperthyroidism in the U.S.

I read somewhere that Albert Camus had a copy of Nietzsches “Die Froeliche Wissenschaft” (The Gay Science) in his luggage when he was killed in the car accident. Humor is critical.

Non-autoimmune hypothyroidism is a result of a lack of iodine in the soil, and therefore in the vegetables that local people (usually inlanders who don’t eat seafood) eat. They would develop huge goiters the size of basketballs because the thyroid was trying so hard to produce enough hormone. It is treated by addition of iodine to the diet. In the US and other developed countries, it is almost unheard of, because we have iodized salt. That was the whole reason for the program to iodize salt.

The other kind of non-autoimmune hypothyroidism that I’ve heard of is when children are born without thyroids. If it isn’t caught early, they become mentally retarded and their growth is greatly stunted. It used to be called cretinism, but that’s not really a very nice word these days! It’s almost unheard of these days as well, because any pediatrician worth his salt feels for the thyroid on the newborn examination. If he has any doubt at all, he will do an immediate blood test. (In some places, all babies get the blood test). If the baby is started on thyroid hormone immediately, he has every chance of growing up to be a normal size, mentally normal adult.

I’m sorry that you have to face all those medical problems, one is not easy, but the ones that you have make life a little more challenging. First, you need to get a grip. Because if you don’t have a great support system, you are it while you build one.

I would really recommend seeking out a counselor of some kind, whether it is a therapist, a minister, a very good friend, or a medical professional. You need someone whom can help you with these ups and downs, and all that your medical problems hand you.

I have a wonderfully supportive husband, but he doesn’t get all the things that I have to go through, even though he tries. So I found a wonderful therapist who has does his level best to familarize himself with all my medical things and then help walk me through my fears and sometimes very explosive angry points.

And do you have a medical team of people who can help you, a doc, an endo, a dietican, CDE etc? If not, consider this way to go, they can help you to possibly understand why the swings and what’s going on with all those problems put together.

And of course there is this site. I can guarantee you that if we haven’t gone through what you are, we will walk with you.
Come often!

Thanks for the info, Natalie!

It wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn there is a correlation between my Hashimotos and my diabetes. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos at age 20.

In addition to what Natalie said … non-autoimmune can occur if you need to have it surgically removed from cancer or for some other reason. In most autoimmune cases, your body attacks the thyroid making in not work properly or at all (this is the case with Hashimotos) or go berserk (as in the case with Graves).

I believe my c-peptide is within normal range or just below normal range. I will know more next week when I get a copy of the test. From now on, I am getting copies of every test from every visit. It is a new habit that I need to get into for my own sake.

Will being on insulin help me cope better (because I will be better controlled)?