Coping with the Fear and Anger

Oh boy do I know the felings your talking about. HANG IN THERE! It does get a little better. Not all at once but over time it will. I lost my main support 8 years ago when my mom passed I felt like I was alone with my fight. And fought I did. Yes I have 2 daughter’s nither here with me. (they only use me many times over but I try and be there for them) My husband? Well lets just say he didn’t know what I was complaining about til his back went way out on him and he’s like me now just trying to get through the day. Yes I do have those ppl but sometimes I feel all alone in my fight. YOU CAN DO THIS AND DON’T LET ANYBODY TELL YOU YOU CAN’T. Belive me.

“you are it while you build one” … very true and that is exactly how I need to look at it. I have two friends who are angels to me. I can’t fathom how much worse it would be without them, and of course, this site. TuD has been an amazing resource for information and support.

Thank you! Right now, my parents’ cat is more important than me. It is a long story, but very true.

Isn’t it funny how parents don’t seem as intrested in you as the cat? I found that happening with a dog many, many years ago after my Type 1 diagnoses except it was a dog. (well my dad was more intrested in the tractor at the time. I took it at 10 in 73) one day I ask them why (many years after I grew up) and my mom said “It was b/c we knew how to do for the dog we didn’t know how to fix you” My oldest took Type 1 at 11 and somehow I saw what my mom ment then.

It is funny, and it isn’t. You would expect the people closest to you to be there for you even if they don’t know how. They could ask or be receptive to me telling them how they could help. Instead, it is “suck it up” and other not helpful comments. It hurts, but there isn’t much I can do about how other people act.

TRUE! Remember you can change that in yourself and repay it to someone who needs the feelings you are having right now. Nobody can even imagian what it’s like unless you yourself go through it. Sad but true and I know for me that “suck it up” (God how I hated that phrase) didn’t work very well. I just had to take time and feel my way around this mess. Another thing that helped me was having someone from a 3rd point of view counsiling me. She could see the pain from my side and also look at what my parents were doing. It helps to have another side of the story. I grew up with the saying “there’s your side, my side, and the right side of every story” Think about it it’s true we all see things from OUR side. Sometimes it helps to think of what & how the other person feels and then after putting yourself in their shoes you can maybe see more clearly how their thinking.

That helps me feel less angry. I think they feel like they caused it, and that it is easier to ignore it than deal with it. I wish I had that option.

My oldest? when she became a Type 1? I blamed myself for many years on that (she was also born missing her left hand) A few years ago my daughter now the mom of 3 little ones herself looked at me for the 1st time and gave me some relif when she said “It’s not your fault mama that I’m a diabetic” that was music to myears. I know how hard it is to deal with when your young and at home and noone seems to understand. I’m probably old enough to be your g=mother. I took Type 1 at 10 and here I am after many fights later at 48 and crusing. DON’T LET THEM WEAR YOU DOWN!!! STAND UP TO DIABETES AND SHOW IT WHOSE BOSS!!! I’m glad that I helped you in some way. I really hope you keep this outlook even in the hard times. And belive me there’s more to come.

Yes, using exogenous insulin when you are insulin deficient should help you achieve better control, and therefore help with the mood swings/emotions. Low blood sugar makes me really cranky (and it isn’t pretty) and when my blood sugar is high I can just go into rages. Also not pretty.

I started getting a goiter that turned out to be Hashimoto’s in my late 20’s. I was formally diagnosed with diabetes when I was 44. It’s true that when you have the genetics for autoimmunity, it can strike a lot of different organs, and you never know when.

Sounds like the three of us did it in the same order, thyroid first. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid (and had my thyroid destroyed by radiation, because it couldn’t be controlled by meds) in 1993, though I think I’d had it for awhile. I wasn’t diagnosed with diabetes until 2007.

I went to see my endo today. I will probably start a whole new post on that debacle. My c-peptide was 1.9, which I guess it the high end of normal when fasting?