Couch to 5K Running Plan

I began a running plan called “Couch to 5K". If you google it, you’ll find a version of the plan online. It’s a run/walk plan that gets you from walker to runner in 9 weeks. After reading someone’s Weight Watcher’s blog about her experience with it, I thought I’d give it a try. I’ve been on a plateau with my weight loss journey for some time now, and am hoping this plan will push me through those last 3-5 lbs that don’t seem to want to shed!

Anyhow, I’m part way through the second week, and am loving it, despite the challenges of blood sugar/insulin control. I’m doing the running plan three days per week, and doing weight training two days per week. Two hours before I’m off work I turn my basal insulin down between 65% or less, depending on what my hormones are up to. Then after a carby snack (20-25 grams carbs), it’s off to the gym. No lows so far, and when I’m finished my work out, my bgl’s are great. But I’m finding I’m getting some pretty big highs later in the evening after I get home, so some research is in order to figure that one out.

Anyone want to cyber-run with me?

High BG’s after exercise are not uncommon. Exercise reduces insulin resistance, even for hours afterwards. This is especially true for ‘anaerobic’ exericse, like weight training. What happens is that your cells are absorbing insulin at a faster and more efficient rate. Noticing the reduced insulin, your body starts releasing glucogon from other stores like the muscles and liver. That’s the theory, anyway.

You don’t necessarily have to bolus for this. You can try drinking more water and checking again after 30-45 minutes. If it’s still high, now is the time to take a correction.

Keep up the good work on the Couch to 5K program!! Let us know when you run your first race.

Terry

Thanks for that info, Terry! And yes, I’ll post when I finish my first marathon (that’s the ultimate goal).