Could Someone Provide an Easy Explanation of Xdrip?

sometimes the readings are close or match. you have 2 options when using xDrip. CHoose the one that more often matches finger sticks. I prefer the Native mode.

If using Dexcom G4,F5,G6 then native mode is Dexcom. Native mode may be better than Xdrip readings. That is what I am testing. Just took blood. Contour Next 76, Dexcom native mode, 83 and Xdrip mode 86. Will do it for a week and report back.

You have the right idea by trying one of the modes for a week. A day or two isnā€™t enough to get a feel for which one works best for you.

I run xDrip+ in its native algorithm simultaneously with one of the old (somewhat mechanical) Dexcom receivers on G5. I like having both interpretations of the signal, and find that when their readings are substantially different, neither is reliably more accurate than the other. In those conditions, the craziness is usually telling me that there is a problem with the sensor.

I change my sensors weekly, because I am unusually fortunate and pay nothing for my diabetes supplies. That allows me to inject in the one side of my abdomen for a week while the sensor is in the other, and then reverse them. If I could successfully put the sensor somewhere else, I could get more time from each, but I run out of injection space in a week (or less, but I make do).

Running both xDrip and the official receiver apparently drains the transmitter faster (probably twice as fast), but I hate not being able to see historical - as in, the last couple of carb or insulin entries of the day - data. I canā€™t upload to Clarity at work because my employer wonā€™t allow me to download it, even after I cited the ADA. xDrip is my functional memory.

1 Like

interesting

machiya, how long have you been running both? any other observations? Is one better low readings, high readings, stable readings, etc. If it has been a long time why do you continue to run both? And what are most important benefits of using Xdrip for you? I am probably going to do the same as I really like Clarity but otherwise I like the features of Xdrip.

Does everyone that has a G4,G5,G6 sensor and transmitter and use XDrip, also set their Native setting to ON so you are getting readings directly from Dexcom. Does anyone set their Native setting to OFF so you are getting readings directly from Xdrip?

Not clear why you think the transmitter battery drains fast enough make a material difference. Iā€™ve been using the receiver and a phone for 2 years with the G5 and I always get 112 days from the transmitterā€“ie it expires on the day it is programmed by Dexcom to ā€œexpireā€.

My wife often sets hers to OFF. I donā€™t like it off, because there is a descrepancy between the receiver and xdrip which makes me wonder at all times,ā€œwhich one is correct?ā€. Iā€™ve found that the receiver data (ie, ā€œnativeā€ on xDrip) is nearly always more accurate, as I spent months using Dexcom in non-native mode.
Yesterday you said youā€™d go with one of the modes for a week to see how it works. Continue to do that and not worry what others are doing. I think you are overthinking this whole thing. Just try each mode and see what appeals to you more as there is no wrong or right, based on otherā€™s results. Asking what everyone is doing is like asking everyone who they are voting for before u cast a ballot. :slight_smile:

My wife has a peculiar problem with the G5 falsely showing her data below meter readings and when she calibrates, the numbers drop right away on the receiver, over and over, but when she views the data on her phone, non-native, the data is more in line with her meter readings. I donā€™t have that issue whatsoever.

Appreciate your comments. I have a similar issue as your wife. My Dexcom G5 is always very low when I wake up, much lower than the Contour Next. So far, Xdrip reading is much better when I wake up so I might turn Native G5 off at night and then use it for the rest of the day. Iā€™ll continue with my testing for a while. I talked to a very sophisticated Xdrip employee/programmer and his inference was that Dexcom readings are more accurate so I was thought Iā€™d see if by their actions, Dexcom members here agree with that.

My personal observation is that for me, native is more accurate (as your xDrip programmer mentioned to you).

Thanks, good to know. Since I am just on my third day with Xdrip I have not had a sensor change. Will my sensor and transmitter continue to work until stop them? That it what I think. Or is their a setting for that?

You donā€™t stop xmitters. only sensors, when u are ready to remove them in preparation for a new sensor. If you remove a sensor while it is still running, youā€™ll see some wild data on the app. :slight_smile:

Your answer confused me. Forget about the fact that I am running both Dexcom or Xdrip at the moment. If I was running only Xdrip, would I ever be prompted or required to change the sensor other than when I decide to change it?

Native mode will have the same issues as the Dexcom app; ie, a 2 hour start requirement and sensor ends in 7 days. non-native: you can skip the 2 hour warmup and get thru that initial warmup in as little as about 20 minutes or so.

You can also have it do preemptive restarts.

You are overthinking this whole thing. Just run it in native and if u want to skip 2 hour starts, switch to non-native when u install a new sensor. After a few hours, switch to native for more accuracy.

Iā€™ve been running both for about 2 years. Because my (somewhat paranoid?) employer would not allow me to install the Clarity software on my work computer (I was advised to buy a laptop to keep at my desk), I wanted something that let me easily see history. xDrip+ gave me that and much more.

I have only used the official receiver to start and stop sensors. I like having xDrip continuing to feed me information during the 2 hour sensor warmup. Itā€™s not very accurate during that time, since it doesnā€™t know itā€™s reading from a new sensor, but itā€™s a lot better than nothing.

Only because of someone elseā€™s posts, and my query of them. Apparently two way communication with two different receivers costs it something. I usually get the full 105 days from a transmitter anyway.

mh

u should be able to get 112. start a sensor just moments before the transmitter is at day 105, and u get another 7 days. I missed the exact time a few times, so now I set the date on my calender to 104 days from transmitter-start.

Soak the sensor for 1 day to avoid day-one unreliability.

Thanks, Machiya. Good advice from Dave on both sensor and transmitter. I soak my sensor for 1/2-1 day and it gives good readings immediately.

I may continue to run Dexcom on my receiver so that I get immediate access to current data on Clarity which I use every day.

What data are you referring to when you said, " I wanted something that let me easily see history. xDrip+ gave me that and much more. And what are the best feature of whatā€™s ā€œmuch moreā€. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to find out for myself and anyone thinking about trying Xdrip.