Coverage after meals?

I bolus 50% for protein. The TAG approach that Capin101 mentions uses 58%. So if I am having a nice 8 oz steak, that is like 60g protein which is equivalent to 30 g of dietary carbs. Protein also digests slowly, perhaps over 4 hours, so you would do an extended bolus for a protein heavy meal.

ps. My local public library carries Bernsteins book.
pps. A slow steady increase all day points to a basal issue.

see:Low Carb Diet Health risks

I still believe that moderation in all things is best!

The nutrition committee of the American Heart Association has issued a science advisory warning that high-protein diets have not been proven effective and pose health risks. The report covered the Atkins, Zone, Protein Power, Sugar Busters, and Stillman diets. The committee stated:

Such diets may produce short-term weight loss through dehydration.
Weight loss may also occur through caloric restriction resulting from the fact that the diets are relatively unpalatable.
The high fat content may be harmful to the cardiovascular system in the long run.
Any improvement in blood cholesterol levels and insulin management would be due to weight loss, not the change in composition.
A very high-protein diet is especially risky for patients with diabetes because it can speed the progression of diabetic kidney disease [10].

Tiffany - here’s a link to the TAG group: http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/tagers

I’ve started using it since switching to the omnipod a few months ago and using the extended bolus feature. But I know that there are some people TAGing who do MDI also. I’ve had a lot of success with it. Good luck!

Not going into panic mode, and have only made slight changes to my insulin doses. :slight_smile: I’ve only seen my CDE once, and she was actually quite helpful. She was the one who examined the charts from my CGE and BG monitor to find out where the problem is stemming from, so for that I am grateful. I’m hoping that I can expand on what I’ve learned so far and eliminate the spikes altogether. :slight_smile:

I’ll be getting an OmniPod soon, so that’s a feature I’ll look into. Thanks for the link, I’ll definitely check it out!

I don’t need to bolus for protein or fat, some people do. My lantus covers me all day and I bolus when I incorporate veggies.

If you’re not feeling any better (are you talking about overall health here or simply blood sugar numbers?), I would be happy to discuss this with you further.

Yes, people are entitled to eat whatever the heck they want, but I believe everyone deserves to know what those foods do when they are eaten. It’s important to know the risks of those choices. You can do whatever you want with the information.

When I told my doctor I was having much better control with a low carb diet, I asked her why she never told me about this before? Her response was, “Would you have listened?” For real. I almost punched her. I said, maybe not at the time, but I would have at least liked to KNOW.

Starbucks Banana Bread, sandwiches, etc. contain gluten and convert to sugar immediately (yes, even that lovely “whole grain” bread). Our bodies don’t process gluten well and weren’t built to… it’s damaging to the gut and causes inflammation which rears it’s ugly head in a variety of different ways down the road.

So if people want to inflame their insides, I tell them to go ahead. So long as it’s a conscious choice.

I’m so tired of endos telling their patients to go ahead and eat whatever they want so they don’t feel deprived. Is this a popularity contest for endos? Diabetes is a serious medical condition, and food plays a gigantic, elephant-in-the-room size factor in our health. Food is just as much as a medication for us as insulin is, and should be treated as such. Same for non-diabetics.

Competitive athletes are a different group altogether. They must eat more carbohydrate to keep extra weight on (such as football players). Just because they consciously make this choice, does not mean it is good for their long term health.

I was eating carbs in moderation. I eat very healthy foods, so I’m sure it’s more of a balancing act with my insulin. I don’t plan to eliminate carbs completely, just cut back. Prior to yesterday, I would rarely eat over 50g carbs with dinner, and maybe 30-40g for breakfast and dinner with modest snacks. I’m big on whole grains and fruit, in addition to lean protein and veggies. If the grains and fruit are spiking me into the mid to high 200’s, then that scares me.

I thought of the library last night. I might call today (if they’re open) and ask if they carry it.

Dear Dickengel,

I appreciate that you posted this out of concern, the nice thing about forums is that we all get to speak our mind, and our opinion.

I, too, used to trust these big organizations to give me correct information on health. I am sorry to be the one to break it to you that the AHA is severely misinforming the public. This information is incorrect, unhealthy, and very, very dangerous.

Low-fat, grain-induced diets cause inflammation, and inflammation is the big danger. Not cholesterol, not animal protein.

I encourage you to research further about this. You certainly don’t need to take my word for it.

So how do you go about adjusting your insulin doses? Do you do basal testing? Have you read Using Insulin or Think Like a Pancreas. I found those books quite helpful.

I have to admit, I have a weakness for greens. I actually like canned greens, spinach, collard greens, kale and mustard greens. My wife thinks I am disgusting. I am also a big fan or broccoli and cauliflower. I like to make a mashed cauliflower with garlic and parmesan that is a great substitute for that blank place on your plate where the mashed potatoes used to sit. Spaghetti squash is good, but it takes a while, although you can cook it in the microwave. Just remember to pierce it, don’t forget. Oh, and don’t forget to stab it and pierce it. Don’t forget. I have videos. Don’t forget.

While it may not be clear, the AHA has a clear vested interest in criticizing low carb diets. Low carb diets fly in the face of low fat myth. The only criticism that has any merit is the suggestion that care be take with high protein diets. In fact, you should not follow a high protein diet if you have kidney failure and you should not eat a high protein diet without a correspondingly high fat diet. I highly recommend Gary Taubes books Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat. Bernstein actually recommends only 75 g of protein a day, hardly high protein.

Well, for the last two years I’ve been making small adjustments on my own, and my A1c has always been in the 6 range. I’ve felt very cheated out of my visits because the endo I started seeing, after my endo of 17 years passed away, wasn’t doing anything for me. It wasn’t until my last appointment, where my A1c was 8.0 and he told me “diabetes is hard to manage” and walked out of the room, that I decide to leave the practice. I’m married and have three children, and the thought of leaving them without a wife/mother is something I no longer want to worry about. This place has been a wonderful resource, and I’m learning so much. I’ve always thought I’ve done a pretty good job of managing my diabetes, but now know I’ve only scratched the surface. I have a list of books compiled that I plan on buying, and I really appreciate everyone’s help so far.

This is probably a dumb question, but I’ll ask anyway. Why is it important to eat a diet high in fat with a high protien diet? Is it so you’re burning the fat for energy and not protein?

i dont care for low anything - I believe rightly or wrongly that all food groups in moderation are best for us. So I wont eliminate all fats, all proteins or all carbs. But if I could eliminate em all for about a month maybe my tummy would not be so big. Hmmmm maybe io ought to???

Haha! I’ve made spaghetti squash before, but thanks for the heads up! Can you give me the recipe for the mashed caulifjower with garlic and parmesan? That sounds delish!

Interesting question. This is my understanding, when you have a low carb diet, you can either convert protein to glucose (gluconeogenesis) or use fat for energy (ketones). If you don’t have fat, you “must” convert protein and if you become entirely dependent on the gluconeogenisis that can result in too much nitrogen being generated and you can’t eliminate it. This results in what is known as “rabbit starvation.” You can eventually die from this. Not that this only occurs in a very low carb diet (since carbs can provide glucose for energy).

Well diabetes is hard to manage. You don’t deserve to be treated like this. Have confidence. You came her, you are asking questions. You will figure this out and you will be around for many, many years. Someday, someone may even approach you, their blood sugar reacting like the “Wild Man of Borneo,” and you will help them.

Any of that research peer reviewed?

No I completely agree with his comment to me, but to walk away not offering any assistance is unacceptable. At least the NP and CDE at my new office were willing to help me make some adjustments, and examine the cause of the problem. Good starting point! :slight_smile: