Covid Vaccine - are you getting it?

It goes without saying that I am far from an expert here, but this is disturbing. And curious that no other countries have reported the same thing. We were all warned of the fallacy in assuming vaccines kill if someone in a severely compromised state of health dies shortly after getting it. Without doing more reading, I can only put a hold on forming an opinion here until I learn more.

3 Likes

Why is there no back storage of the vaccine? Really?

It sounds like the Norway events are regarding very frail elderly patients at high risk of death regardless. Which may mean either that deaths might have occurred anyway, or that any number of things, including vaccinations, would be enough to disrupt already extremely vulnerable systems. These are people for whom many things upsetting their system in any way could be fatal. If that’s the case, COVID infection would have definitely killed these folks. I suppose frail elderly who are in situations where they feel adequately protected against COVID exposure need to consider the pros/cons. No bearing really on any other populations.

I would still take the Pfizer vaccine in a heartbeat if offered right now.

5 Likes

We have no knowledge of the percentage of injections to death or the circumstances of those deaths. If my grandmother were still alive, I would say grandma you must get vaccinated.

4 Likes

I am 72 and will get my vaccine as soon as it is available. My mother is 99, living in her apartment in senior housing and wants to get the vaccine as soon as it is available but she needs to wait a few more weeks because nursing homes get it first. Her best friend has an apartment in the same building, is 102 about to turn 103 and wants the vaccine ASAP as well.

I think many older people feel living without being able to see their children, grand children and great grand children on a regular basis is not living, just existing, and therefore eager to take the vaccine in hopes of getting back to some sense of normalcy in the final few years of their life.

Some of these older folks are frail and need to be ultracareful, while others are tough as nails and have a great social need to get back to semi-normal.

4 Likes

I am skeptical of all the chatter about disastrous effects of the vaccine that are being spread on social media. My wife and I received the Pfizer vaccine last Wednesday. We both didn’t have any real side effects after the shot. While we were at that medical facility we saw at least 100 others get the vaccine. We are scheduled for the 2nd shot on Feb 3rd. The head nurse at the vaccination facility told us that the 1st shot provides about 60% effectiveness; the 2nd brings the effectiveness to 90%. I have T1, cancer, and other comorbidities so I was glad to get the vaccine. As an aside, my sister is a healthcare professional that has, and is, working on Moderna’s vaccine approval with the FDA. As part of her job, she has to digest all of the data and research on the Moderna vaccine. She has reassured me that, so far, the data is very good as far as negative physical reactions to this vaccine, as well as, the Pfizer vaccine. I trust her knowledge and judgment. I hope that most people will take the vaccine when it becomes available. The more that don’t take it, the longer it will take for our country to get back to some sense of normalcy.

3 Likes

Yes, ASAP. Risk and consequences for diabetics far out weighs any possible risk for vaccination.

I registered on two lists for Phase 1b that open on the 25th here in Ohio. Ohio doesn’t have a central list; some of the entities have their own list and some have no list at all. Also, T1D is on high-risk list on signups, but diabetes was moderate high risk in the plan.

I would be very interested to know the death rate after the frail and elderly receive the regular seasonal flu shot.

1 Like

Here is a good article about how much immunity and when for the vaccine.

1 Like

These guys are making a call on that t1 vs t2 question that has been lingering.

2 Likes

My friend just texted to ask me when he gets vaccinated. I told him that he is in group 1c with me & the diabetics and that group comes after 1b with all the ‘essential workers.’

He texted back the the phrase ‘essential worker’ makes him feel uneasy and he wishes people would stop using it because it gives him the creeps and sounds like something out of Shindler’s list.

Hehehehehe - a little covid humor - Chronic illness humor is really at a peak…

1 Like

Even though I’m in 1b as an “essential” I find the term a bit ridiculous… especially since damn near everyone was exempted from the “lockdown” (except those that work in movie theaters because they’re “essential”

The whole word has been so corrupted throughout this entire ordeal that it’s an embarrassment

2 Likes

Our state has abandoned the categories completely. Instead we are only using age bands. Today it was announced that 65 and above could be vaccinated.

In many ways I find the age bands starting at the oldest ridiculous. I am 63 and want it badly but if i were doing the age bands I woudl have started with 25-35. then 18-25, 35-45 - 45 to 55 and 55 -65 followed by 65+

Here is why. Doing the upper age bands will reduce deaths no doubt about it. But doing the lower age bands first will reduce virus spread more.

Want to reduce death most do it most age to youngest. Want to decrease spread? Do younger more.

2 Likes

According to an article on Medscape:

There are ways of knowing if there is excess mortality linked to the vaccine. For example, we can compare the number of deaths in retirement homes and long-term care…between people vaccinated and those unvaccinated, or from one year to the next over the same period (eg, January).

That’s what we have started to do with our colleagues in Paris and Île-de-France, and is what our colleagues are also doing in Occitanie. Sadly, we won’t have any results before the middle of the year.

1 Like

I get what he’s talking about and it made me laugh because ‘essential worker’ does have that taste of governmental linguistics and it sound a little ‘russian’ to put people into ‘worker categories.’ But, I think that it has something to do with government negotiations with the unions and the fact that the ‘essentials’ were not eligible for unemployment benefits during this period. It smells like unemployment/money stuff.

@Rphil2, I think our state plan is becoming increasing flexible as well. They are starting teachers/schools, but also doing 65+ popup clinics. I think that they are hitting it from both sides because they are a little undecided about what is best.

This I know, for sure - Its not the 65+ crowd or the kindergarteners that are packing the bars to capacity. That’s the crowd that turned Wisconsin into critical case load. They call us “sobersota,” but we are among one of the drunkest states in the nation. I think WI is #1. We might be #2. We are only ‘sobersota,’ in comparison to WI. The bars are where we are seeing heavy duty spread.

If it were me, I’d go straight to the bars to vaccinate. The problem there is getting that crowd to show back up at a reliable date/time for 2nd dosage. If I were the State, I would offer free drink coupons that were only valid on a specific date/time at a specific bar. In order to be eligible for their free drink, they would need to first get their 2nd vacc. We could invent a new, prestigious category called, “essential bar patrons.”

1 Like

Where I live, essential only means the government can’t close your business or make you stay home if there is a shelter in place order.
It is a very broad term though.
Stock boy in the supermarket, and police and fire, nurses.
It’s a term that quickly lost its meaning.

1 Like

That’s exactly what it’s supposed to mean though. Stock boys and market cashiers are every bit as essential to providing people with food, a basic necessity, and there’s evidence that they are major potential source of spread given how many have been asymptomatically positive when whole markets have been tested.

Now there are other folks being added to the list who actually do have the option of largely working remotely where it is questionable. Also so far I’ve seen hospitals vaccinating not only their essential workers, but all of their employees including those not involved at all in F2F clinical care, but they are being provided with enough vaccine, combined with a surprising number of refusals from clinical staff, that someone’s got to take it. Unfortunately not really the systems in place to have those doses go to at risk groups, so better they go to anyone than be wasted (we all need to be vaccinated eventually), but it’s not ideal.

3 Likes

Here’s the list of essential workers in WA…it’s only 14 pages long.

I think the problem states are having with prioritization boils down to attempting to blend two goals: vaccinate high risk people while also attempting to reach herd immunity. For example, Type 1 diabetics under age 65 have to wait for those millions of essential workers before we get vaccine during Phase 2.

The high risk people are dispersed among the population and harder to get scheduled while the essential workers are easier to identify, schedule and vaccinate. This pushes high risk people further back in the line, causing frenzy/confusion.

1 Like

This is hot off the presses. We have a big surge of research publications. Everybody is putting everything in writing now.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1932296820978399

Yes we will all get it as soon as possible. Who knows when that will be with everything going on.

What is happening in this country is just ludicrous and unbelievable on all levels. And people refusing a vaccine who are in the medical profession with vaccines being thrown away, wth???

I am disgusted and want to go back to Canada as soon as possible. In my opinion you should not be able to work in any profession let alone the medical profession if you’re going to refuse this vaccine- find another career where you won’t infect and endanger peoples lives.

My 88-year-old father is currently in the hospital with Covid that he was exposed because he had to go to the emergency room on an emergency. Thank you to all the idiots who won’t follow what needs to be done to stop this virus from killing people.

The only reason not to get the vaccine is if you’ve had severe reactions such as anaphylactic reactions in the past or there are other severe health reasons not to.

4 Likes