Cozmo question

I am choosing a pump, and am having a difficult time deciding between Cozmo and Ping. I have done exhaustive research and appreciate all the info, but I have a few specific questions that I feel have not been addressed in my research, so I am curious if any Cozmo users would care to comment on a few things?
How long does your battery last?
Do you use the Cozmonitor, and what do you like or dislike about it?
Is it a pain to change battery caps to use the waterproof features?
Any other dislikes or inconveniences about the Cozmo that you could share?

Thank you in advance for taking the time, and for all the info already shared.
I hope this is not in any way redundant.

I read somone’s Cozmo blog stating that the Cozmonitor used so much battery power that the
they stopped using it.

• Battery life varies probably mostly by two things: brand you use (we’re still not sure on this one) and how much insulin you take. More insulin means more driving that piston rod through the cartridge to deliver it, ergo you go through batteries faster.
  • I used to use the Cozmonitor - I find that it’s most helpful when you either carry very little with you (as in, wallet and keys with no purse or other meter related junk already) or you would like to carry less, and/or you can access it easily from your pocket or clip on your belt rather than pulling it out of a concealed spot (garter, bra, etc.). I’ve finally gone exclusively with OneTouch products for two reasons: more accurate readings and I tend to live in clothes where it’s not that convenient to get to.
  • The waterproof thing is really simple but I’ve never used the pump in the water. When I swim, I do a disconnect bolus, cap my site, and go. We did recently talk a bit in the Cozmo group about how waterproof is your pump, you might want to look that discussion up.
  • The software is not the best - it’s very basic as far as reports go, but it’s great for programming your pump (you can name basal patterns, custom meal boluses, temp rates with anything you like). Other than that, it’s a pretty solid and intuitive pump.

Best of luck as you make your decision!

Hmm, i LOVE my cozmo!
I use the cozmonitor, its sooooooo nice!
Its so much easier than using log books and having to carry around another meter, because all you have to carry is a poker and strips.

My battery lasts, eeeehh, uhm, im not completely sure, but around 2 weeks, i think? maybe longer. or alittleee bit shorter.
I think changing batteries is simple, all you have to do is use a penny or something like that to unscrew the cap, and pop in a new battery.
(i especially love that when it is loading or whatever, it beeps morse code “im okay”)

waterproof features arent bad at all, there veryyy useful.
Ive swam with it on, and ive been in a hottub with it on. xD
some people keep it on when taking a shower, and ive done it before when feeling to lazy to disconnect, they just put the pump in a soap dish or something.
the only non-waterproof part is the cozmonitor, which is easily removed.

And also, the cleo is the infusion site that goes with it (other infusion sites can be used, but i find the cleo to be the best)
its really nice, because the tubing can be attached 9 different ways.

I hope that helps!
:slight_smile:

do you have to change the battery cap to use it in the water also?

btw, ty for these replies. I am still concerned with the ergonomics of the pump; it seems uncomfortable to wear and or hide away. i am also curious as to the downsides, if any of using the cozmo. it seems everyone loves their pumps for the most part, and this excitement is rubbing off. I do hope that somone has furthur criticizms, as i am used to imperfections, partially due to 24 years of MDI :slight_smile:
I have read so many positive testimonials regarding animas and cozmo! I googled cozmo complaints and only found around two relevant blogs…
the future is looking good (strange to feel excited about a disease in a way…)

BATTERY
I’ve been on my Cozmo for six weeks and have changed my battery twice, even with using the cozmonitor. 2-3 weeks has not concerned me and does not seem unreasonable. I have been on Minimed pumps for eight years and found that batteries can last anywhere from 3-6 weeks. I like that most other companies’ pumps (like Cozmo) will accept a partially charged battery if you need it to.

COZMONITOR
LIKES - love that it’s attached, easy to carry, and that after a reading, it immediately suggests whether I should correct a predicted hypo, take a correction bolus, or asks if I want to take a meal bolus. When I just enter a blood sugar from my meter manually into Cozmo, it does not prompt me to take an action unless I ask it to correct - at which point, it will predict a hypo and kick in the hypomanager or respond with a correction bolus suggestion. I also like that it stores my blood sugars in the pump automatically so I can transport the data more easily from my Cozmo to my CoPilot software.
DISLIKES - I hate that sometimes you have to jack with it to make the IR ports match up. And it adds extra weight to the pump, but ever since I started using a clip’n’go pouch (pricey, but worth it IMHO), I don’t notice the extra weight at all hanging from my belt loops.

BATTERY CAPS
I accidentally showered with the other battery cap on it twice and had no problems. Now I just disconnect and use the disconnect bolus/basal feature if I have the wrong cap on it. I haven’t yet used the regular battery cap, honestly. For submersion, I definitely will though.

OTHER
LIKES - linear method of calculating insulin activity, seems to be a better way of considering IOB
LIKES - hypo manager - takes some adjustment and some second guessing, but I love that it considers you IOB in telling you how many carbs to eat and predicting impending lows
LIKES - meal manager - very helpful in a pinch when you’re not sure of serving sizes
LIKES - beep v. vibrate - I like that I can silence it
LIKES - software - with the cozmanager upgrade for copilot, I love the software
DISLIKES - clip - that I have had to buy pouches and clips to find what works for me as opposed to the native belt clips that worked so well with my minimed. My favorite methods in this order are: 1) clip n go (thanks Lee Ann), 2) slipped into a baby sock and worn in my bra (probably not helpful for you, but thanks goes out to my educator for that one), 3) the case logic medium mp3 player all-purpose pocket (thanks to Kristin), and 4) a regular Motorola phone case. I did not like the clear belt clip (w/o Cozmonitor) or the flimsy leather sleeve (with Cozmonitor) that came with my pump. Neither Smiths-produced clip accounted for the weight of the device and neither stayed on my waistbands well.

GW,
All of us at some point have wondered about the comfort and weirdness factor that goes with being connected via a 2 foot long tube to an electronic device. At the beginning, it can be a bit frustrating and unnerving - it gets better pretty quickly though. It seems like most of the folks I’ve talked to about pumps have said that it changed their life with diabetes for the better even with the compromises (having to buy clothes with more pockets, for one). It is a big reminder to you that you are reliant on a device for your health, but I think it gets less hard to deal with the longer you have it.
As a for instance: the first week or two I wore mine, I felt like everyone was staring at my tubing coming out from under my shirt or at my site (under two layers of clothes :). I was so self conscious but pretty soon I realized that it didn’t matter, the important thing was it was LESS obvious - I went low less, I didn’t have to haul out my purse to test, and it felt easier because I could CHANGE things when they didn’t work the way I wanted them to. If I wanted to go dancing, I just dialed in a temp rate and went. If I wanted to have three mondo slices of pizza, I figured out the carbs and did a combo bolus. If I wanted to drive for four hours to see my folks, I upped my basal. Getting a pump was one of the best things I’ve done for myself, ever.

I was thinking about it and I don’t think you should worry so much about battery life. All pumps give you about a day’s heads-up before you need to change the battery. In eight years, I’ve never found myself unable to find a triple A battery with a good 24 hours notice!

Your information has been very helpful. Can you be more specific on the types of pouches that you feel work best with this pump? I am new to pumping, and I like my Cozmore pump, but I’d like to know what others have used to securely hold it. The one case sent with it is not helpful. I am using the other one, but would prefer something that would let me include the Cozmonitor so I would not have to bring an extra meter along with me. Also, my physician still prefers us teens to use a log book, instead of the print outs. I like the new found freedom, while still having everything recorded. His office is not yet up to speed, even though I bring current print outs with me. Any suggestions. His office recommended this pump and yet he wants me to write the numbers down. It’s a drag! Any advice?

I use MP3 players as cases (but I try to avoid ones with magnets).

Here is a blog post with two cases that I used with my Cozmo. (Scroll down to see the second one)

Hi, Kaitlin. So far, my favorite case for the Cozmo with the attached Cozmonitor is definitely the Clip’n’Go. I have a brown one and a black one.

I also like to use baby socks and either tuck them in the top of a bra cup or pin them in the inside of clothing.

The Case Logic ones that Kristin suggests are great. I bought a snazzy little brown one with blue flowers.

Without the cozmonitor, I like the clear plastic case from Smiths or just regular Motorola V-series cell phone pouches.