Crazy question

27 or 29, somewhere in there. Only happened once or possibly twice.

There is so much pointless fuss in the medical profession about protecting diabetic nerves so that warning signs of hypoglycemia remain intact, or not letting so many lows occur so that sensitivity to hypoglycemia is preserved. But the problem which this ignores is that both the doctor and the patient are getting drunk together, so to speak, when a low occurs, and when I am below 40 I donā€™t know what diabetes is, that I have it, or how hypoglycemia is treated. So why good does preserving warning signs for someone who canā€™t read them when the warning signs go off?

the warning signs that need preservation give the person PLENTY of advance warning that they are in danger of going seriously low. I had been partially hypoglycemia unaware; however, by changing the factors that were resulting in frequent lows. I regained early warning signs. With those functions in place, I have seen less than four episodes below 65 in the last 6-7 months and only one below 60. That one <60 occurred overnight, while I was asleep; however, I wear a CGM which alerted me to the problem.

As an added note, I do believe that almost all PWD using insulin should have access to CGM technology. Game changer and life saver!

3 Likes

I only have a problem with lows if I am asleep, so warnings would not work, even if I could sense them. Especially as I go low, I also fall more deeply asleep, and beeps, alarm clocks, dogs jumping, etc. just canā€™t wake me up.

1 Like

28 a couple times. Never lost consciousness. Certainly have been shaky though.

1 Like

Only once in the 40s. About 10 years ago, put on insulin and was having swings high and low. Took myself off insulin, managed with oral meds for 10 years, now I reached the point that I simply donā€™t make enough insulin. taking 10 units of Tresiba nightly. No more lows! ever! (and Victoza)

1 Like

23, I woke up at Charlotte airport. Yeah, the trouble was when I got in the airplane I was going to Orlando (nonstop). Yeah, good times.

2 Likes
  1. Was skiing BC. Absolutely could not keep it above 30 for three days. Was still able to stop and help another woman who got stuck at the top of a cliff. (Thatā€™s probably not a good indication of how low I had been continuously running, for days.) I was jumping around on the mountain like a goat. Ate candy bars continuously. It did nothing. Hereā€™s a good ski video for diabetics because the band is called ā€˜First Aid Kit,ā€™ LOL. Ski video

Is it possible that your friend had been even lower and BG went up with counterregulatory hormones? I realize they donā€™t work as well in T1.

Probably 30. Iā€™ve never lost consciousness but three or four times, years before a CGM, I was unable to function and had to get glucose through an IV! Thankfully itā€™s been years since that happened.

Given that statistics show that 4 to 6% of diabetic deaths are caused by diabetic hypoglycemia, insulin has to be regarded as the most dangerous drug on earth. It is the nature of the medical profession, always chasing numbers rather than considering the real good of the patient, to be so willing to insist on strict blood sugar control even given the lethal risks this involves.

ROTFLMAO

Unfortunately I canā€™t come up with a better reply than that one at the moment. I apologize in advance for my lack of creativity.

1 Like

55 year T1. Have read 31 and 27 this week. Not good.

Greetings,
I have been low 30ā€™s and a couple of times high 20ā€™s while awake.

Did you pay for your DAD, diabetic alert dog? Does your DAD sense hyperglycemia?

1 Like

I feel hypo at 40. If itā€™s a gradual drop, symptoms are not too bad. I take time to fix it. But If itā€™s dropping fast, I feel like Iā€™m going to die! Panic mode! I Eat the fridge! LOL.

I once went below 20. that was the only time I was transported to the hospital, following a frantic call to 911. Luckily I managed to get Glucagon into me moments before the EMTā€™s arrived. By the time I got in the ambulance I was over 250ā€¦

My dog is not trained to detect hyperglycemia. This was my choice. I wanted to concentrate on low blood sugar due to its acute nature and the safety concerns. I did pay a nominal fee for my dog, a few hundred dollars to cover training materials. Norm was bred and trained for service work by two non-profit agencies.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so envious of diabetics with DAD. Can you post a photo of Norm? I can see Norm in your profile photo. Does he go with you all the time? Can you tell us of some stories when Norm caught you with hypo? Thanks in advance Terry.

Terry, may I ask a personal question? What was your last A1C? I know mine is a lot higher.