Creating a white house petition to make all insulin over the counter. Need help with the wording

Why not, what would a non diabetic possibly want insulin for ?

I have taken it 100s of times now and it hasn’t gotten me high once.

Well, it has been used to murder someone. But yeah, it’s not like you can get high off the stuff. Though I think there was a Law and Order episode that had recreational use of insulin as a (really dumb) plot point. And apparently body builders use it for its anabolic effect.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure. I’m in Canada, and US insurance seems rather complicated compared with ours. In Canada we don’t get covered or reimbursed without a prescription, nor can we claim an uninsured medical expense for income tax purposes without a prescription. Therefore, even though you don’t need a prescription to buy insulin in Canada, I doubt many people here buy it without one, and I’m not sure why they would do so.

So besides not having insurance, is there any other reason a person in the US would buy R and N without a prescription?

Buy steroids online without prescription at cheap prices from our anabolic steroids pharmacy. We offer brand legal steroids for sale (Dianabol, Sustanon) by brands like Kalpa Pharmaceuticals, Balkan Pharmaceuticals, Geneza Pharmaceuticals and others.

Doping Team offers a wide range various of Steroids for sale in USA & UK. Here you can buy Anabolic Steroids online with credit card by Visa or Mastercard.

dopingteam.com LOL

And they will continue to take what ever they can get so call me selfish cause I am not willing to put up with bull getting my medicine to try and stop them.

You could require that insurance companies cover it. But that still doesn’t mean they couldn’t change the coverage conditions for an OTC insulin.

It’s common now for drugs covered by prescription. My insurance company charges a flat $10 co-pay for things on their formulary. If you (or your doctor) specify a non-formulary drug, the co-pay is $100 plus the difference in list price between the formulary drug and the one you request. That’s a minimum $90 penalty if the formulary/non-formulary have the same list. And if there s a significant difference in list prices, as is common with brands where generics are available, it’s even more.

They can (and will) play games to retain their revenue.

It might be easier to address needing a prescription in emergency situations by something simpler. Mandate a 14-day emergency supply be made available from your pharmacy under your insurance plan’s terms without a doctor’s consent, so long as you show an insurance card.

This doesn’t address the ‘uninsured’ issue or the ridiculously high insulin prices in the US. But that’s a much larger issue.

I don’t want to address that. I just want to go in the store and buy my medicine.

If I fumble the vial over a tile floor and it breaks I want to go to the store and buy another with out any bull. Zero bull. Here is the money give me my medicine and have a nice day.

I think what I described would do that, so long as you’re insured.

???

All I want to do is be able to buy my medicine with cash, what does insurance have to do with it ?

Like I said in first post I am on the road and for what ever reason I need my stuff. All I want to be able to do is go buy it.

I don’t give a * about getting insurance to pay for it. I want that piece of mind that I can always get it. Not call the other pharmacy or call my doctor, its 11 pm at the 24 hour pharmacy nothing we can do for you right now…

**** all that . Why do I have to live like that ??? **** that.

I agree with your goal, and I applaud your commitment. But I don’t think your approach is practical. The devil is in the details and too many heavily vested parties stand in your way, including diabetics like myself with insurance.

2 Likes

You just make “prescription” insulin the OTC.

There is no reason that this whole thing about Rx medication being covered and OTC not has to be so complicated.

You just exempt insulin from that artificial illogical man made rule.

Hey you snake hearted insurance companies guess what? New law, you still have to pay for insulin but it is OTC at the same time.

Not true. You can buy glucose test strips without a prescription, but with one the insurance will cover it.

1 Like

Thank You ! That could have saved alot of posts.

Igot so many T1 are able to deal with getting insulin as needed. I am not sure why you have such a problem. Nothing is perfect.

It might be nice to talk to a Doc about NPH and R since you can get them for $20 at Walmart without a prescription. There is only one state where that is not an option. They are a little different than other insulins - a little tricky. You should take lots of blood sugars when using them. But they are good for emergencies.

Maybe you could do a practice run with them and try to figure out a correct dosage so if you need them, you can use them. Its a lot less scary to know they are there if you need them.

We didn’t always have access to these, so its a really big deal that they exist.
This is the biggest way to get around the system.

What are you taking now?

He’s a new diabetic.
He has multiple medical conditions.
It is difficult for all of us. I have been diabetic for 25 years and still have trouble with access. It never goes away. Anxiety is reasonable.

Its been my experience that a lot can get done by writing.

1 Like

@Cardamom, try not to confuse him by making this too complicated. No Rx needed. No insurance needed for R and NPH. It is $20 a bottle. I want this to be super clear to everyone.

If it was over the counter there would be price competition and the price would automatically plummet though…

I’d speculate we’d see it settle out to about $60/ vial for modern analogs or $75ish for a box of pens

@IgotT1, You can use this letter if you want, as a starting point. I tried, but didn’t come up with much. Maybe if you read what I wrote, it will help you figure out how to write it better. They sometimes take public comment of their work, so I started writing in response to that. Fed Letter.docx (16.1 KB)

I also felt like I needed help. No one helped. So, I gave up.

If you take a look at your insurance formulary it will most likely say that insulins like regular and NPH are covered even though they are OTC in most states now.

Yes, and they “bill” your insurance about $200 a vial for R and NPH… but we all know what the true market price is, so that gives us a ballpark idea what the rebates must look like…

1 Like