Cruddy post-exercise high of 370

Exercise is good for you, he said.

Take a walk every day, he said.

Grumble…mumble…snort…

Is this happening often? Do you eat prior to your walks?
I don’t know how to word this correctly but… I do know that there are some people who have intense work outs, or push themselves so much that they work past their carb/energy level and into the glycogen stored in the muscles. This can cause terrible highs during and post exercise.

Thanks, Kelly. I am very flattered by your post. ;0) But I am more of a waddler than a super athlete and my sugars have been running way too high (250-ish) the past few weeks despite bumping up my insulin.

I walked at a 2 mph pace for 35 minutes – hardly the stuff that athletic legends are made of.

I do pump out a lot of adrenalin naturally (adrenal hyperplasia) and get spooked easily when I’m out walking due to an assault I experienced about 13 months ago when on a walk.

Maybe I spooked myself into hyperglycemia?

I hate to say it (argh) but I guess I’m going to have to start testing right before I walk and then after my walk just to see what’s going on. Maybe it was already that high? I hadn’t eaten anything for about 12 hours before my walk, so I don’t see how it would have gotten that high (or why).

As usual – no matter how much I test – I never seem to have the right combination of test results to pinpoint what in the heck is going on.

Try doing the same thing at the same time and test before and after. Once you see a pattern you can adjust for it. But those are high sugars also. Do you adjust insulin by yourself or do you have a conference with the doc about adjustments? I adjust within a set of parameters but if I feel like I need to go outside of those boundaries then I contact the doc.
I can’t exercise without insulin! If I don’t have enough flowing my walks are crummy and my legs just burn.
hth

OK…today’s numbers:

Pre-walk BG (greater than 13 hours fasting): 282 mg/dl

Post-walk BG (after :30 minute walk, slight hills): 288 md/dl

Maybe I’m not skyrocketing during exercise; maybe my bg really was that high before I walked yesterday, despite being 12 hours post-prandial yesterday before my walk.

I’ve e-mailed my doctor. We have to do something to smack down my insulin resistance. I’m a wreck.

I don’t understand. Are you going hours & hours w/out eating?
I am so glad you e-mailed the Doc. I hope he/she helps you on this. There’s nothing more frustrating than trying to do what’s right but your body fighting you on it, eh??? Yaaay for you for having the right mind frame & being such a trooper!!!

Jean, sometimes when sugars are high prior to exercise the exercise will make them rise. I know you said that you have been running high, but can you exercise when your sugars are lower and see what happens? Also are you checking for ketones?

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I’m not intentionally going long without eating, just trying to exercise after I get up, and sometimes that puts me 12+ hours after my last meal because I cannot exercise within a couple of hours of eating a “meal” (I get nauseated) so I almost always get up, take my Synthroid with water, do my morning tasks, bundle up and then go for my walk – and wait and eat after I exercise, which can be 12 hours or more after my last meal.

I have never checked for keytones. I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never done it and none of my doctors have ever suggested/requested it…?

I’m just bummed because it seems that, for me, exercise is vitally important to improving my overall insulin resistance problem (if I exercise for an hour every, single day my baseline BG will slowly drop over time by a considerable amount), but exercise doesn’t seem to lower my blood glucose while I’m exercising – I’m putting out as much as I’m taking up – thanks, liver – so I can’t use walking to “treat” a cluster of highs, even if I walk for two hours, three hours or more – it just stays the same or goes up – then I’ll get a drop maybe 48 hours later, which is not all that helpful.

I don’t need to drop hypo on Monday night; I need to burn off some glucose on Saturday morning. Sigh.

Jean, here is a link on Ketones: http://www.deo.ucsf.edu/type2/understanding-diabetes/how-the-body-processes-sugar/ketones.html It is more common in Type 1’s, but I believe it can occur in Type 2’s (someone correct me if I am wrong) And alas sometimes blood sugars do not drop until hours after exercise…as always depends on the individual. Sorry, I do not have a better answer for you.

Thanks for that information, Amy. Maybe because I’m still producing insulin, it’s never come up? I guess when I get to the point that my beta cells are damaged with amylin deposits, it will be more of an issue?

I do know that I had a steroid injection in my shoulder joint capsule two years ago and my baseline glucose doubled, but even then none of my doctors seemed all that excited about it. I was worried but they were not. I kept saying, “But what about my blood sugar?!” and they seemed to think I was being a hysterical woman.

Maybe I should start testing with Ketostix when I’m high, just to see what’s going on?

Hmmm, maybe you can exercise a little later? And have some food in your system first…? I wonder if it will help. So that your body isn’t looking for something to burn, causing the liver to dump glucose perhaps? heck, I don’t know…just a thought.
Your Dr’s do not sound up to date if they thought you seemed like a crazy hysterical lady (unless you are, hehe!), they should have warned you about cortisone. It is TERRIBLE for diabetics! Reeks havoc on our blood sugars!!! It is a nightmare, its sad that they didn’t monitor you closely after having the injection.
You poor gal, you’ve been thru a lot and are pushing forward with a whole lotta resistance, huh? I admire your tenacity!!! +) Keep it up, Buttercup!

Thanks, Kelly. If I could describe the one unifying trait of my doctors of late, it would be lack of initiative.

They simply do not care if my blood glucose goes through the roof. I don’t understand it. I’m panicking and they’re saying, “Don’t make any changes to your insulin protocol. Send me your numbers in a couple of weeks” for month after month. Grrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

The second-to-last doctor that I fired? She told me (right after I got my SECOND HbA1C in the high 10’s), “You’re doing GREAT compared to my other type 2 patients.”

I about fainted with frustration when she said that. Great? At 10.8? WTW?!? I was in the 5’s in 2008. From my point of view, being in the 10’s was a nightmare.

I was supposed to contact her via e-mail. I wrote to her with several questions. Her reply? “Jean, those are all very good questions.” That’s it. No answers. Just a stupid pat on the head and NO answers. She didn’t even suggest a consultation, refer me to a book to read, hook me up with a CDE or classes, nothing. I started to wonder if she was on drugs or smoking pot or something. She had crazy eyes and this big inappropriate smile all the time, the kind that some people put on their faces for small children. It was…a creepy clown smile.