Cut the Crap: The difference between HumaLog and NovoLog

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Okay, thank you for the speedy reply. :wink:

Same here Humalog does nothing for me (figuratively speaking it moves throughout SLOWLY) and Iā€™ve monitored the difference for quite some time Iā€™ve been T1D 23 years now

Say what Luv? I used Humalog for many years in the Medtronic branded Unomedical, as well as the Deltec and Animas branded Unomedical. I think youā€™re projecting here. There are no other complaints about ā€œcloggingā€ from Humalog.

My wife worked at CVS Caremark and the kickbacks they demand from pharma companies are amazing! Could be why they have the biggest CEO/Employee pay discrepancy of all US based companies. Larry Merlo - the model for Boss Buddy Ackerman in ā€œSwimming With Sharksā€

I would like to get an invite to read this post and blog as I would like to really understand the differences between Humalog and Novolog. Have been a user of Humalog for over 15 years on my insulin pump with very good results and now CVS Caremark is telling me that my insurance will no longer cover Humalog and the only choice I have is Novolog.

The person who wrote the Humalog Vs. Novolog post left our community some time back. I donā€™t know of any way to read it. Sorry!

Attached is a Prior Authorization Form specifically for CVS Caremark for:
Afrezza
Apidra
Humalog

It is likely from an insurance carrier different from what you have but the form looks good while still being simple. If CVS/Caremark is your PBM then perhaps it is irrelevant who the medical insurance carrier is?

PriorAuth_ASO_Rapid_Acting_Insulin.pdf (24.4 KB)

for me as im on the pump novolog works better than humalog. with humalog for some reaosn it causes big bruises and stings like all hell whereas the novolog doesnt do that at all. plus novolog for me is more effective when it comes to my sugar levels. medicare and medicaid does not cover the novolog so i had to have my dr write to both to explain why i needed to novolog instead of the humalog. why they dont cover it i have no idea. again humalog just didnt work. i guess it varies between people on what they react to?

@Manuel5
We also have just recently switched from Humalog to Novolog due to insurance. We use this in a Tandem t:xlim X2 pump. So far, we have noticed zero difference.

I have been switched between Humalog and Novolog several times. They both work about the same, in my pump. I think I reduced basal rates a tiny bit when using Novolog.

Some have mentioned there are additive/preservatives that may be different between the brands, and that may cause differences for people sensitive to them.

My wife used to work for CVS and I was forced over on Novolog (the amounts of money paid to CVS and other PBMs to kill competition is mind boggling!)

In my particular case it almost killed me. Having been on Humalog since 1996 and Humalin since 1987 before it, I was very comfortable with the Lilly insulins. I used to travel globally, in a different country every few days, frequently jumping halfway around the globe overnight and never once having a hypoglycemic incident.

Upon flipping to Novolog, I was taken into the ER twice due to middle of the night uber-hypoglycemic reactions (no measurable glucose level either time), the first incident left in the hospital for two days.

I ended up lowering my basal levels so low, I would frequently jet into uber-hyperglycemic ranges. I had a horrible two years of it until my wife quit CVS and went to work forā€¦Dexcom! So back to Humalog and now a G5 CGM evangelist.

Everyone is different when it comes to medications. One example is that opioids flat donā€™t affect me at all. Aspirin is 1 Million times better than the strongest opioid (learned the hard way with a slipped C3 disc in my neck). Yet others get high just being in the same room as a bottle of opioids.

The old adage of ā€œYour Mileage May Varyā€ certainly applies to these two insulins. All I say is be careful and be aware. You may have zero problems and I hope that is the case for you.

1 Like

Thank you Az Kev for the feedback. The information you provide on the
kickbacks that CVS receives from the pharmaceutical companies is
incredible. I am in a similar position as you with the Humalog and
Novolog. Have been successful in my diabetes care for 15 years with
Humalog and other Lilly products prior to getting an insulin pump and donā€™t
see the reason why I have to change.

Best to you in your continued care of your condition, it sounds like you
have been managing well, same as I.

Regards.

1 Like

Best wishes for you Manuel. I donā€™t want to be alarmist, however there are some people like me who have a terrible time with the change, so just want to make people aware and vigilant the first 3-4 months.

ā€œHumalog and Novalog are essentially the sameā€¦just made by different companiesā€¦Both work in pumps and for coverageā€¦ā€. At least thatā€™s what My endo tells meā€¦

Humalog works better for me, I tried Aprida and just had too many problems with lows in the middle of the night to the point I stopped taking insulin at night and then of course my BGā€™s escalated. Novalog I had to try for a month but it just didnā€™t work as well on me either. I also tried one other and just didnā€™t notice any difference. But as long as I tried the Novalog for a month my Dr wrote directions to the insurance company that I had to have Humalog and then they okā€™d it at a higher price. They try to tell you there is no difference, maybe for some people out there!!!

Can I please get an invite. My insurance is changing. New one no longer covers novo log which is all Iā€™ve known. Curious to inform myself before I switch.

@IWannaBeABetaCellHea
Your doctor should be able to put in a ā€œnecessaryā€ request for the one you prefer. But sometimes insurance companies require you try the new one. That happened to me years ago. I had to try the new insulin, and then notified my doctor it wasnā€™t working as well and she put in the request for me to keep using Humalog. I did have to pay more since it wasnā€™t on the formulary list.

Humalog and Novolog are the commonly switched out insulins, They are slightly different, a different base or something and some people definitely prefer one over the other and some people donā€™t notice a difference.

Humalog and NovoLog have several differences. Humalog is insulin lispro, whereas NovoLog is insulin aspart ." "Apidra is insulin glulisine

1 Like

My insurance switched to humalog, so I started using this offer to get up to 3 vials of novolog for $99, ā€œcash payā€ (not filed with insurance).
Other novo insulins also available, program may end after December, but hoping they extend or put out new offer for 2021.

Iink to signup.

2 Likes

I use the NovoLog Insurance and Savings Card. They pay up to $100.00, after commercial insurance.

Eligibility and Restrictions

In part it says, ā€œThis offer is valid in the United States and may be redeemed at participating retail pharmacies. Absent a change in Massachusetts law, effective January 1, 2021, the Savings Card will no longer be valid for residents of Massachusetts. Void where taxed, restricted, or prohibited by law. This offer is not transferable and is limited to one offer per person. Not valid if reproduced.ā€ (bold emphasis added by me.)

1 Like

I would like to read the whole post. Am I missing something? New to the forum.

Uh, what? :confused:
Iā€™m not sure which post (or link to a post?) you are referring to.