D-Math: 2+2=5

Math can be tough enough in regular life, For diabetics it's even more of a feat. Carb counting. Bolus calculations. Insulin on Board. Here's my perspective on that always-grueling process we know as D-Math. Read all about it at The Diabetic's Corner Booth.

Hi Michael. I took a full year off from my MMT522 for my pump sites to recover, to regain the ability to absorb. When I started using my pump again a few months ago, I decided to use it on weekends and use MDI mid-week. My goal is to get as close to the same feelings, same results off the pump as I have while on it. During the year I was just MDI my A1c was 6.3; with my dual treatment it is 5.9. O.K. Once I was on Lantus and took both a morning and nightly shot; now I’m on Levemir, also with two shots. I got an accumulation of Lantus over time; Levemir is gone in eight hours, which works well for switching back and forth with the pump. So, on MDI: (1) first thing in the morning, I take one unit of Apidra for the inevitable need for extra morning basal, (2)take my morning Levemir, (3)Apidra for boluses and corrections, (4)one-third the amount needed for a bolus with Regular and two-thirds with Apidra for those times when I would have taken an extended bolus, such as all dinners, certainly Chinese food, pizza, etc., (5)bedtime Levemir. I keep sites separate for MDI and the pump; and then rotate within those separate areas. I don’t know if any of that is helpful to you, but good luck!